F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
I think my original battery is an AGM, so I want to at least stick with something comparable.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
877 Posts
I know I'll be due for a battery soon - I've had my truck 4 years yesterday and it's getting weak - and want to make sure I do the procedure correct. It's crazy you can't just replace a battery and go any more. My truck was built June 15 if I remember correctly so 4.5 years old isn't too bad from what I see a lot of people posting about theirs.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I think my original battery is an AGM, so I want to at least stick with something comparable.

AGM's come on all F150s with the start/stop feature, whatever year that started.

I bought Northstar bc it is the best and it is all USA made, just like the truck!

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
AGM's come on all F150s with the start/stop feature, whatever year that started.

I bought Northstar bc it is the best and it is all USA made, just like the truck!
Which is how I deduced that that's what it is. Lol

I wonder what it costs from the dealership. It's $186 on Tasca, but of course shipping is very cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Probably is a bad cell. I should consider myself lucky. I’m still on my factory 2013 battery.
Me too! Does your "low battery" message come on when you turn the key off? Mine does it every now and then but it's still charging and no plans to change it until it dies I guess.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Me too! Does your "low battery" message come on when you turn the key off? Mine does it every now and then but it's still charging and no plans to change it until it dies I guess.
My original 2011 **** ford battery didn't even last 4 years with BMS. The Walmart battery has already lasted 1 year longer I consider that a win.

I think it could be because the day before I was towing a car hauler with 4 electric brakes. Maybe the charging system wasn't up to the task.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My original 2011 **** ford battery didn't even last 4 years with BMS. The Walmart battery has already lasted 1 year longer I consider that a win.

I think it could be because the day before I was towing a car hauler with 4 electric brakes. Maybe the charging system wasn't up to the task.
I've heard the Walmart batteries are some of the best. Good to know.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I’ve historically been a fan of Napa batteries, but a year ago had one of theirs replaced under warranty (about 18 mos old at the time) now a year later the replacement is showing the signs of eminent battery failure “system off to save batt power”

... though you all have me curious on the BMS reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
I'm sure there are zillions of F150s (and other BMS-equipped vehicles) out there that have had a battery swapped and were never touched by a dealer, IDS, etc. It does, obviously, work. But, everything I've read from people with more knowledge than I suggests that doing the BMS reset via OBD is the best possible answer (plus setting the battery type to most closely match what you install). This can be done via Forscan as well.
I’m trying to find the process to reset in ForScan, but I’m not having any luck.

Do you know it or have a link to it?

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
My oddessy has been good, but not much more than a year in. It really holds up when I’m winching vs. The stock one.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
862 Posts
Always use the Farm and Fleet Platinum batteries myself. Pretty sure they're made by Johnson Controls. Never had an issue with them. And they're like 1070CA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a Bosch platinum AGM from Pep Boys about 2 years about. If I remember it was a lot cheaper than I expected ( like $130usd). Its cold here in the winter, and it's been great. Seems like its just as strong now as when I put it in.

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
Walmart has an AGM the same size in 850 CCA for $150ish that I think I might give a shot when the time comes.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I’m trying to find the process to reset in ForScan, but I’m not having any luck.

Do you know it or have a link to it?

Is there any way to do this yourself? Without a fancy spendy diagnostic tool?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Is there any way to do this yourself? Without a fancy spendy diagnostic tool?

A laptop, forscan program and a $15 Bluetooth obdII dongle.

Reactions: Mikedick77

·
Registered
418 Posts
So for future reference, I was able to get the “system off...” mode to go away by successfully putting the truck to sleep for 8 hrs.

All obd2, chargers, etc. unplugged and doors locked without interruption... if you have keyless ignition you have to keep the key fob far enough away during this period in order for the truck to relearn battery charge.

No idea if the truck knows it’s a new battery and has adjusted the level of alternator charging etc. I doubt it as I’m showing a consistent 14+ volts at all times

21 - 38 of 38 Posts