F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an new 2015 F150 "without" the factory installed "trailer brake controller".
The truck did come with the "Trailer Tow Package 53A" which included the hitch and all wiring - but no controller module.
I did purchase the Ford OEM Controller Module "FL3Z-19H332-AA" over the web.
Unfortunately it comes with not instructions.

Does anybody know how to take apart the dash/console to get to the wiring and install the unit?

Any help would be appreciated.

DanLucky...

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

Reactions: Elmar66

·
Registered
510 Posts
Installation is the fun part. Then you get to take your truck to the shop so they can reprogram your computer to recognize it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased an new 2015 F150 "without" the factory installed "trailer brake controller".
The truck did come with the "Trailer Tow Package 53A" which included the hitch and all wiring - but no controller module.
I did purchase the Ford OEM Controller Module "FL3Z-19H332-AA" over the web.
Unfortunately it comes with not instructions.

Does anybody know how to take apart the dash/console to get to the wiring and install the unit?

Any help would be appreciated.

DanLucky...
Hey DanLucky --

I'm in the same situation. Were you able to figure this out? Seems like most of the youtube videos are from 2014 models and earlier.

Thanks!

Ashley

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2015 F-150 Sport 4X4. It came with the Tow package (wiring), but no brake controller. No problem, I already had one!

The plug for the controller is easy to get to (don't believe the other threads).

1. Take off the panel right below the steering column. It just pulls back real easy.

Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior Engine

2. Remove the panel under this that has 4 bolts.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper

3. Now you can reach behind the dash and disconnect the trailer module plug. It is connected to the dash directly behind the "pocket" you see in the picture below. Just need to feel around and find the tab that allows you disconnect the plug. There is NO REASON to pull out the side panel next to the radio (as other instructions suggest).
Vehicle Car Auto part

4. Once you have the plug disconnected there is plenty of cable to pull it out. As for a controller I use the Prodigy 2 and bought the adapter cable at etrailer.com Tekonsha Plug-In Wiring Adapter for Electric Brake Controllers - Ford F-150 Tekonsha Accessories and Parts 22292. You can also use the adapter that should be in the glove box. I found the etrailer cable to be better built.

5. I saw a lot of discussion about the fuses and relays. Mine came with the Trailer Tow Package, and everything was in place. For the 7-Pin plug everything works just fine without having to do anything. The charge pin also works. It is an "Intelligent Plug" meaning the trailer must be plugged into the truck and the truck needs to know it is there. I found out from previous posts all you need to do is plug it in and apply the brakes on the truck and everything starts working. Worked perfect for me.

Please let me know if you have any questions, this was a bit frustrating and I will do the best I can to help out.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did mine easier, 1.next to the vent on left side of center console bottom remove one screw. 2. Pull cover over out of the way. 3. Pull left side where the TBC will go from bottom gently and pop it open. 4. Remove little tray with TBC wiring snapped on the back. 5. Plug it into TBC and insert to hole. 6. Snap panel back in place. 7. Put lower piece back with screw. It took me 7 minutes I did it last night with a TBC on EBAY from a FORD DEALER in CT. 138.00 and free delivery, ordered FRIDAY and GOT MONDAY. Now I am off to FORD to get it FLASHED which is stupid but I guess NECESSARY.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
robskater, so you had no problem removing the left side of center after removing the bottom screw? Did you have enough room to easily remove the TBC area where the TBC eventually mounts into or goes into? Sounds really easy, let me know, I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trailer Brake Controller

Hey Scottirwin, can you do this on the Oem install as easy as the one you installed, which is an aftermarket as you say. I may be wrong, but that just sounds so easy an install the way that you state in your post. Thanks for the post, I'm trying it anyway just to get this out of my unbelieving self. That would be nice if it does indeed work as easy as you say. Give me some sort of feedback, Ok?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dealer Help?

I just bought a 2015 F-150 Sport 4X4. It came with the Tow package (wiring), but no brake controller. No problem, I already had one!

The plug for the controller is easy to get to (don't believe the other threads).

1. Take off the panel right below the steering column. It just pulls back real easy.

View attachment 40389

2. Remove the panel under this that has 4 bolts.

View attachment 40390

3. Now you can reach behind the dash and disconnect the trailer module plug. It is connected to the dash directly behind the "pocket" you see in the picture below. Just need to feel around and find the tab that allows you disconnect the plug. There is NO REASON to pull out the side panel next to the radio (as other instructions suggest).
View attachment 40391

4. Once you have the plug disconnected there is plenty of cable to pull it out. As for a controller I use the Prodigy 2 and bought the adapter cable at etrailer.com Tekonsha Plug-In Wiring Adapter for Electric Brake Controllers - Ford F-150 Tekonsha Accessories and Parts 22292. You can also use the adapter that should be in the glove box. I found the etrailer cable to be better built.

5. I saw a lot of discussion about the fuses and relays. Mine came with the Trailer Tow Package, and everything was in place. For the 7-Pin plug everything works just fine without having to do anything. The charge pin also works. It is an "Intelligent Plug" meaning the trailer must be plugged into the truck and the truck needs to know it is there. I found out from previous posts all you need to do is plug it in and apply the brakes on the truck and everything starts working. Worked perfect for me.

Please let me know if you have any questions, this was a bit frustrating and I will do the best I can to help out.

Thanks,
Scott
I contacted my local dealer after talking to my selling dealer (not the same) and the Parts Bubbas informed me that you could not put a kit in if it didn't come with it...so I didn't even ask them if they would flash it. I want to buy it but there are two part numbers and I don't know which one is the right one. I have: FL3Z-19H332-AA and then FL3Z-2C006-AB which is also for 15 and 16's. WTFO? Then I am gonna hafta finda a dealer that knows what the heck they are talking about. All I have is a 15 Lariat with trailer tow package and not controller.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did mine easier, 1.next to the vent on left side of center console bottom remove one screw. 2. Pull cover over out of the way. 3. Pull left side where the TBC will go from bottom gently and pop it open. 4. Remove little tray with TBC wiring snapped on the back. 5. Plug it into TBC and insert to hole. 6. Snap panel back in place. 7. Put lower piece back with screw. It took me 7 minutes I did it last night with a TBC on EBAY from a FORD DEALER in CT. 138.00 and free delivery, ordered FRIDAY and GOT MONDAY. Now I am off to FORD to get it FLASHED which is stupid but I guess NECESSARY.....
robskater has it right. I just installed an OEM TBC in my 2015. Pull out the trim stack where it goes on the left side of the screen starting from the bottom. Push in the screen side groove with a plastic interior trim tool to help free it up.
However... I took it to the dealer to have the computer set to operate the controller and it turned out I didn't need to.

It still cost me an hours worth of labor, of course.

·
Registered
32 Posts
robskater has it right. I just installed an OEM TBC in my 2015. Pull out the trim stack where it goes on the left side of the screen starting from the bottom. Push in the screen side groove with a plastic interior trim tool to help free it up.
However... I took it to the dealer to have the computer set to operate the controller and it turned out I didn't need to.

It still cost me an hours worth of labor, of course.
Why didn't you need to? I thought you have to get it reflashed when adding a controller regardless? Am I missing something? Mine doesn't have a tow package but the wiring is there and I'll be adding a hitch and would like to install a factory controller.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this thread by chance, as I am also looking to install Ford Electronic Brake Controller myself. From what i have read, computer needs to be flashed to read the new controller. But I have also read once the first trailer is hooked up, you just have to step on the brakes and the OEM controller is found and ready. Wondering if anyone has a final say on this?! Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I added one to mine. I out the box in myself went to my dealer and they put computer on the truck and made the truck give me the trailer brake option. It took them 5 minutes to do it in the parking lot and there was no charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I added one to mine. I out the box in myself went to my dealer and they put computer on the truck and made the truck give me the trailer brake option. It took them 5 minutes to do it in the parking lot and there was no charge. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucky if you get them to do anything around here for free. I did the same, tech walked out to the parking lot with a laptop took 5 minutes, charged a minimum 1 hr labor. Rip off.
But I do love the ford controller and how it works with the truck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lucky if you get them to do anything around here for free. I did the same, tech walked out to the parking lot with a laptop took 5 minutes, charged a minimum 1 hr labor. Rip off.
But I do love the ford controller and how it works with the truck.
I started to install the controller myself but hit a spot where I thought I was going to have to force something. I ended up taking it to a nearby dealer who charged me for a half hour labor to install and activate saying it took longer than planned. It was the same price they had quoted me to only activate it so I can't complain. I also had them take care of a small warranty issue at the same time so that might have influenced the rate somewhat.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I wish I would not have bought the factory controller now. I've called two dealers and they both want $90 to turn on the option. So $100 for the controller and $90 for activation. I sold my perfectly good Prodigy P3 that all I had to do was crimp a few wires and it would have been done and not have been out any cash. But noooo, I wanted it to be integrated. :mad:

Im going to try a few more in the area, luckily the DFW area has many dealerships. One has to be friendly and want to help a customer a little.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I wish I would not have bought the factory controller now. I've called two dealers and they both want $90 to turn on the option. So $100 for the controller and $90 for activation. I sold my perfectly good Prodigy P3 that all I had to do was crimp a few wires and it would have been done and not have been out any cash. But noooo, I wanted it to be integrated. :mad:

Im going to try a few more in the area, luckily the DFW area has many dealerships. One has to be friendly and want to help a customer a little.
You're 95% there now. Just finish the job and get integrated. It'll help with resale too.

·
Registered
22 Posts

What I found when I was calling around was the larger dealers were charging a full hours labor for the flash. In my area that is $95-$100 per hour. However the smaller dealers were typically charging a lower set fee or prorated the hourly rate to actual time it took to flash. This usually turned out to be around $40-$50. So in my mind it pays to shop around and be willing to drive a bit further to the smaller folks on the outskirts.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Right, I called around. The first wanted $450. Total The next was $225 and to just buy it from them and have them install it was cheaper than me getting it installing it and having them flash. I might have saved $30 with the p3. But is $30 worht the safety of a better module.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts