F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ford F-150 Platinum 4x4, 6.5 ft bed
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I screwed up my truck due to my negligence. I had the truck in a lower gear descending from the mountains. Got on the freeway, forgot to upshift. 10 mins after being in the fwy at about 70+ mph in 3rd gear, the engine overheated. I pulled to the side, let it cool off... now its seized :mad:

Truck is a 2012 F150 Platinum with 6.5ft bed and all the gadgets available that year. 120K on it.

Need a new engine now. Are Jasper remanufactured engines as good as the Ford OEM long blocks?

There is a price difference. I need the truck for 3 or 4 more years.

Should I say goodbye now, or put in a new engine.

·
Registered
732 Posts
:-(

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Being in 3rd gear shouldn't over rev the engine. If I WOT from a stop it shifts to 3rd and stays there until the speed limiter, around 107 mph.
Def find an engine. Pickups are stupid high right now.

Reactions: tidefan1967

·
Moderstrator
4,485 Posts
Being in 3rd gear shouldn't over rev the engine. If I WOT from a stop it shifts to 3rd and stays there until the speed limiter, around 107 mph.
Def find an engine. Pickups are stupid high right now.
Agreed the RPM probably isn't what took it out, overheating certainly could. It would however need to get pretty hot and I would have suspected that the ECM would have been protecting the engine at that point.

Having said all that if the rest of the truck is in good shape it probably warrants an engine replacement. Finding an engine at this point is another story.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed the RPM probably isn't what took it out, overheating certainly could. It would however need to get pretty hot and I would have suspected that the ECM would have been protecting the engine at that point.

Having said all that if the rest of the truck is in good shape it probably warrants an engine replacement. Finding an engine at this point is another story.
I thought that the engine would have been protected against over revving.

So the question is... why did the engine overheat on the fwy? It did not appear that I lost any coolant. Yet the engine overheated then seized. I don't get it.

But... does not matter at this point? I still gotta pay

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jasper doesn't have any ecoboost engines. They quoted me a price to send in my block and for them to rebuild it.

Has anyone done this?

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I thought that the engine would have been protected against over revving.

So the question is... why did the engine overheat on the fwy? It did not appear that I lost any coolant. Yet the engine overheated then seized. I don't get it.

But... does not matter at this point? I still gotta pay
It didn't over rev in 3rd gear at 70 mph.

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
I was quoted 3-5 months for OEM, Jasper wouldnt even quote me because they had no idea when they would have them.

A company called Fraser said they had them and could ship in a few weeks and the shop I am having do the work on mine told me 4-6 weeks from LKQ

So you might factor that in as well.

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,733 Posts
It didn't over rev in 3rd gear at 70 mph.
Even with my near worst case, 3.73 gears and 31 inch tall tires, my 2.7 only is turning 5800 RPM at 93 MPH in 3rd gear. My rev limiter is set at 6200. KM

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Don't know. I'm not willing to spend any money having them investigate what is now a bad engine. Gotta start over...
Did I miss how you know it’s seized? I’d still make sure it’s seized and not some random bad timing thing with the starter going bad, or connection. The truck should have gone in limp mode If it was overheating. Just to be clear you know it overheated by seeing the temp gauge pegged?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was quoted 3-5 months for OEM, Jasper wouldnt even quote me because they had no idea when they would have them.

A company called Fraser said they had them and could ship in a few weeks and the shop I am having do the work on mine told me 4-6 weeks from LKQ

So you might factor that in as well.
You sound like you are in the same boat as me. If so….

which builder are you using?

Jasper has a lot of cool marketing stuff on their website talking about the improvements they make to the ecoboost engine. It seems as though they Know what they are doing. Obviously they make the parts. I hear they honor their warranty. I also hear that they need to at times. But they always make it good

I will check out the other companies/builders. I would have to save a lot to go with used and 90 day warranty as opposed to paying only a couple thousand more for a 3 yr warranty

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did I miss how you know it’s seized? I’d still make sure it’s seized and not some random bad timing thing with the starter going bad, or connection. The truck should have gone in limp mode If it was overheating. Just to be clear you know it overheated by seeing the temp gauge pegged?
It’s seized. I know exactly what that means. I am mechanically inclined. Unfortunately, not my first rodeo. It’s my first rodeo on an ecoboost

it did go into limp mode, enough to get me to the side of the highway. Once it cooled off, it was seized

the shop has also confirmed it’s seized.

over heating, aluminum engine, seized engine…. Even the turbos don’t like excessive heat

All of my equity just went to $0. The value is gone. Now focused on getting a working truck.

I could take the $12k and buy a beater truck. But it seems that I now own a beater. 😂. Might as well keep this one. Cost is the cost

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
You sound like you are in the same boat as me. If so….

which builder are you using?

Jasper has a lot of cool marketing stuff on their website talking about the improvements they make to the ecoboost engine. It seems as though they Know what they are doing. Obviously they make the parts. I hear they honor their warranty. I also hear that they need to at times. But they always make it good

I will check out the other companies/builders. I would have to save a lot to go with used and 90 day warranty as opposed to paying only a couple thousand more for a 3 yr warranty
LKQ is a 4 year unlimited mile warranty. Apparently they supply Ford with their engines.

Fraser was 3 year unlimited miles but you could pay $250 for a 5 year unlimited.

I am going with LKQ just because thats who the shop had a relationship with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LKQ is a 4 year unlimited mile warranty. Apparently they supply Ford with their engines.

Fraser was 3 year unlimited miles but you could pay $250 for a 5 year unlimited.

I am going with LKQ just because thats who the shop had a relationship with.
I’m going to call both of them. Do they rebuild or only sell used?

appreciate the advice.
The investment I’m making means that I will keep the truck a little longer. If I wasn’t in the middle of a house remodel I’d be shopping for a V8 Powered replacement truck

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I’m going to call both of them. Do they rebuild or only sell used?

appreciate the advice.
The investment I’m making means that I will keep the truck a little longer. If I wasn’t in the middle of a house remodel I’d be shopping for a V8 Powered replacement truck
Like a 7.3 F250 ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like a 7.3 F250 ?
Uh…. No…
I don’t tow heavy. 1/2 ton is all I need. Don’t need a 7.3, don’t want a diesel.
Was thinking about going back to a Chevy. I drove a Silverado for years, sold it in good condition with 300k and bought the ecoboost. Wouldn’t even mind the Dodge Ram 1500.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Uh…. No…
I don’t tow heavy. 1/2 ton is all I need. Don’t need a 7.3, don’t want a diesel.
Was thinking about going back to a Chevy. I drove a Silverado for years, sold it in good condition with 300k and bought the ecoboost. Wouldn’t even mind the Dodge Ram 1500.
Chevy 6.2 or Ram 5.7.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts