F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ford F-150 Platinum 4x4, 6.5 ft bed
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Chevy 6.2 or Ram 5.7.
I have had great longevity in the past with the chevy 5.3. Its a solid engine. RAM 5.7 is good too. the 6.2 is overkill for the 5,000 lb trailer I tow.

But by the time I finish investing in my ecoboost, I'll most likely be driving it for the new future.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I have had great longevity in the past with the chevy 5.3. Its a solid engine. RAM 5.7 is good too. the 6.2 is overkill for the 5,000 lb trailer I tow.

But by the time I finish investing in my ecoboost, I'll most likely be driving it for the new future.
GM 5.3 ? Really ? One of if not the weakest stock V8 engine available. You can make it last a long time, sure, just don't ask it to do much real truck stuff.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
GM 5.3 ? Really ? One of if not the weakest stock V8 engine available. You can make it last a long time, sure, just don't ask it to do much real truck stuff.
My more powerful, twin turbo ecoboost has taken a literal dump on me. Its currently a completely useless 7000lb paperweight right now. A long lasting reliable engine is what I need when I pay 60K or more for a truck.

Did you miss the part where I said I do not tow heavy?

6 weekends out of the year, I tow a 4-5,000lb trailer a few hundred miles round trip. Another 6-8 times a year, I carry a 300lb dirtbike, or maybe a couple of 30lb mountain bikes.

Do you really think I need a 3/4 ton for this?

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
My more powerful, twin turbo ecoboost has taken a literal dump on me. Its currently a completely useless 7000lb paperweight right now. A long lasting reliable engine is what I need when I pay 60K or more for a truck.

Did you miss the part where I said I do not tow heavy?

6 weekends out of the year, I tow a 4-5,000lb trailer a few hundred miles round trip. Another 6-8 times a year, I carry a 300lb dirtbike, or maybe a couple of 30lb mountain bikes.

Do you really think I need a 3/4 ton for this?
No. You need a Tacoma or Colorado or an SUV and utility trailer. Save gas. You can tow 4k with a 4 cyl.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Don't forget about the whole lifter issue... It's bad, and has gotten worse. I know of one that's on it's 3rd set and a brand new engine... His brother the gm mechanic told him to have the DOD turned off and it might help, but a lot of the new lifters are just failing even without DOD on.

Op, highly doubt it was over revving that killed it, that's harder on the trans than the engine. But like you said, it doesn't matter what happened, it's dead. I posted in masshole's thread that it appeared Jegs may have had some in stock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No. You need a Tacoma or Colorado or an SUV and utility trailer. Save gas. You can tow 4k with a 4 cyl.
I’ve had bad experiences with any GM motor with less than 8 cylinders. This is the first ford I’ve ever owned. So US vehicles less than 8 cylinders are not treating me well….

Toyota Tacoma’s have a reputation for reliability that is so good it’s almost unbelievable. And they hold their value better than anything But I really like the 6.5ft bed

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,027 Posts
I’ve had bad experiences with any GM motor with less than 8 cylinders. This is the first ford I’ve ever owned. So US vehicles less than 8 cylinders are not treating me well….

Toyota Tacoma’s have a reputation for reliability that is so good it’s almost unbelievable. And they hold their value better than anything But I really like the 6.5ft bed
My older brother lives on my property and is now part of our daily life. He's a diehard LS man every bit as much as I'm a Ford truck fella.
He's also more frugal with his transportation co$ts and cares VERY little about modern technology and comforts in a vehicle.

So his strategy is to always have 2 trucks, so he can drive one while he is fixing the other if it fails him. :)

In his defense, or in the defense of the two GM trucks, they are both old and higher mileage. (2007 Era)

He walks by my truck(s) and cars every single day. He has even taken a couple of rides to the doctor in them. He quietly takes it in but has rarely said much to me at all! A few questions here and there and I answer them with squelching the boast, if you know what I mean.

His son, my nephew, has revealed though that he does brag on occasion about "Bruce's truck". That'd be me. Lol

·
Moderstrator
1,859 Posts
Between this thread started by @md2020 and the recent @mass-hole thread below, has anyone actually found a source for a replacement engine?

Reactions: FanaticalKilla

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Between this thread started by @md2020 and the recent @mass-hole thread below, has anyone actually found a source for a replacement engine?

I obviously need an engine now and I am currently having simultaneous discussions with EVERYBODY about availability and price for a rebuilt or remanufactured engine

I’ll share some of my findings by Monday

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
9,846 Posts

LKQ was 4-6 weeks and Fraser I believe said 2-3 weeks to ship.

I think they all manufacturer the engine when its ordered whichis why there is a lead time.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Here is the update: After rejecting the idea of a used motor and searching around with no luck whatsoever finding a new engine, I had finally decided to sell what was left of the truck and buy a new one. I actually have a written offer in hand for $5,750 for my truck with the blown engine!

I scheduled the pickup for Friday morning. Then I figured I'd call around one more time to see if anybody knew where to get an engine. And... somebody found me one! Without hesitating, I pulled the trigger and put my credit card down. Damn... its expensive!

Its an engine directly from Ford. They are shipping it to California from back east some where. That means I get the 3//36K mile warranty from Ford.

First draft of the charges are $14K (Yikes!)

But.. what choice do I have. If I take the $6K offered and add it to the $14K I have to pay, that is $20K, which still doesn't buy you as much as you think. I looked around and found nothing for $20K that I like more than I like my existing 10 year old truck.

Its an agonizing position to be in... but the $45K price tag for a 4 year old used truck from a dealer makes you look extra long and hard look at fixing your existing truck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So... now that I have committed at least $14K into this new engine, which is a remanufactured (not net) engine from Ford, I wanted to verify the pricing that I was told by the mechanic that is doing the work. He told me that the engine alone was $8500. That seems like a very high number. So I looked it up. Turns out that is a valid cost estimate.

I know that all the other companies advertise their reman engines for $5K instead of 8.5K, but this is what Ford is doing to us these days.

Look at the difference between the MSRP and the price that Ford is selling it for.

I thought about a new truck, but the Toyota Tundra is so damn ugly that I would be embarrassed to drive that thing. So I paid the markup...:mad: and the engine is on the way

Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Web page

·
Premium Member
14,027 Posts
Is fordparts.com a manufacturers site? Or a licensed site?
I'm a bit surprised Ford would openly charge over MSRP, rather than just raise MSRP

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

·
Premium Member
14,027 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Doesn't Ford have that setup as a portal that directs the customer to a dealership parts department?
Don’t know. You do pick the dealership at the top. . Ford doesn’t sell directly to customers. So it’s a dealer sale even though it’s a ford website

the dealer, I think, would never charge msrp when it’s advertised higher. No car salesman would ever charge less

·
Premium Member
14,027 Posts
I always found that site aggravating to use because the dealerships it redirected me to was based on geography and thus not the best pricing or inventory.
It was quicker for me to just choose one of the dealerships better known for good pricing, etc. Like what Tasca used to be thought of. (not so much these days)

I still don't believe I would consider parts listed for more than MSRP as being Ford charging over MSRP.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts