F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
So... now that I have committed at least $14K into this new engine, which is a remanufactured (not net) engine from Ford, I wanted to verify the pricing that I was told by the mechanic that is doing the work. He told me that the engine alone was $8500. That seems like a very high number. So I looked it up. Turns out that is a valid cost estimate.

I know that all the other companies advertise their reman engines for $5K instead of 8.5K, but this is what Ford is doing to us these days.

Look at the difference between the MSRP and the price that Ford is selling it for.

I thought about a new truck, but the Toyota Tundra is so damn ugly that I would be embarrassed to drive that thing. So I paid the markup...:mad: and the engine is on the way

View attachment 181073
Thats about what I was quote from the Ford dealer as well. $7500 before the $1000 core. Since my engine has a rod sticking through the side of it, I would only get a partial core at best so I would be looking at $8000-8500 just for the engine from the dealer.

I dont know why you havent tried LKQ? My engine was ordered August 1st and was supposed to be here in a couple weeks. They are made to order so it has a few week lead time. $6700 including the core and 4 year ulimited mile warranty.

The rep at LKQ claimed they were making Ford's reman'd engines.

• Helpful
Reactions: F150RTR

·
Registered
2012 Ford F-150 Platinum 4x4, 6.5 ft bed
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thats about what I was quote from the Ford dealer as well. $7500 before the $1000 core. Since my engine has a rod sticking through the side of it, I would only get a partial core at best so I would be looking at $8000-8500 just for the engine from the dealer.

I dont know why you havent tried LKQ? My engine was ordered August 1st and was supposed to be here in a couple weeks. They are made to order so it has a few week lead time. $6700 including the core and 4 year ulimited mile warranty.

The rep at LKQ claimed they were making Ford's reman'd engines.
I do feel I could have done better in the situation... I try to stay positive about this... but deep down inside I am absolutely upset!

Here what's really going on inside my head...

1. I had reservations about this darn ecoboost when I bought it. But I was assured that this engine would be as reliable as any v8 and would last a time. I was also promised better fuel efficiency. Both blatant lies.
2. The dealer now says that the answer to a busted 1st generation ecoboost is to buy the new ecoboost for $75k. Forum rules won't allow me to write what I said to that guy.
3. I did try LKQ as well as every other engine builder/remanufacturer. I talked to a dozen of them, a few do the rebuilds, others are just distributors for the few that actually rebuild. I even called several for dealership. Everybody told me it was backordered and to call back. I called a lot of places. Its a very frustrating process.
4. Fraser offered to rebuild my engine if I shipped it to them... lead time is 10 weeks, which means about 14 to me. Their reputation locally isn't all that great. I hear that they stand behind their warranty, and they do have to... which is a probem
5. The shop I am dealing with is somebody I don't really know. But somehow, this one older guy, prickly attitude, terrible communicator, was able to find an engine when nobody else could. The engine that he found is $1500-$2000 more than the price of the guys who don't have one
6. I don't have a place to store a broke down truck while looking for an engine. So it takes 3 months at $225 to store it, which is $675. And... all the storage places don't want you storing vehicles on their lot that don't run. You have to drive it in. So I was struggling to try to get around that.
7. I though about selling my truck for the 6K, adding the 14K repair cost to that and buying another truck. I would end up with a whole lot less truck, a few years older maybe, and definitely 100k+ miles. Thats frustrating.
8. I don't work in construction, but I'm in the middle of a bathroom and bedroom remodel right now where I'm doing a lot of the work. I've got stuff all over the place. I got a quote for $1200 to haul away debris that I cannot do myself because I don't have a truck. How am i supposed to pickup building materials, drywall, tile, cement, etc...? I need my truck!

I got a call for a "right now" that's more expensive. So I have to listen.

I'm not in a good spot and I know it.

Here is the math that matters
$2000 excessive fee minus $700 storage and $100 tow fee is $1200. Do I want to keep going through all this for $1200. Or do I want my truck fixed now?

So after almost two weeks of trying to figure out what to do, I decided that the best thing is to take a breath deep... and buy it. So I open the wallet and remove the suffering.

What looks like a smile on my face, is really a grimace.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts