F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNJ1FBD/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Hello Everyone,

Lurker turned member, Trying to mentally figure out my course of action for a grille I just purchased. Need Opinions!

So it comes down to Leave it Matte Black or Paint the outer Surround to color match. Pics attached for reference

Amazon Link up top

First Pic is of Stock Truck, Second is painted grille, third is how the grill comes (Matte Black)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I'd go painted it doesn't look so ugly. Thee upper part of that grille doesn't flow well with the hood at all.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have one and I love it. My truck is black with the grey accents on the wheel liners so it matches. However, for your red. Go with the paint matched. that looks badass!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have this grill and like it a lot. Personally I think they look great on the correct truck- like the FX4. But if you have a model with a lot of chrome, then stay away. As to your question, I'd paint the outside the color of your truck and leave the inside and letters gray. This is what I've done with mine. I'm very happy with it and I get complements frequently. I've seen a few that also paint the letters same as the truck color, but that stands out a bit more than I prefer, but I certainly don't think it looks bad. I'll try to post a pic of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Seeing it on your truck has sold me on the Color Match, I think it looks like it came that way. If you don't mind me asking how much time and cost did the Color match set you back?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got a quote from a body shop and they were $200 ish to prep and paint. I've used Automotive Touch Up before to color match a previous vehicle, so I ordered thre rattle can in Ingot Silver for $20. I washed and degreased it and applied a couple of coats of Duplicolor plastic primer. I also painted the inside charcoal gray- which meant a lot more taping and work all around. I was going to add a clear coat, but never got around to it. It being silver you have to look very closely to see any difference. I spent better part of a Saturday between removing the grill, prep, taping, painting, etc. it was well worth it to me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Paint it! Unless your running a black truck (looks like yours is red?)

Saw a copy raptor style grill like this on a Tundra the other day... had the triple LED feature without the "FORD" or "DODD" Oh yeah and it looked stoopid not being color matched too!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am just not a fan of the huge FORD front grill. Get something cleaner, minus that. JMO, everyone knows its a F150 without having to smear it across the front of the truck.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I am just not a fan of the huge FORD front grill. Get something cleaner, minus that. JMO, everyone knows its a F150 without having to smear it across the front of the truck.
So I sort of feel the same way as you but somehow that grill keeps calling to me. I absolutely hate my chrome XLT grill. It’s either that or go with the painted surround and black OEM grill. FX4 look.

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
i am just not a fan of the huge ford front grill. Get something cleaner, minus that. Jmo, everyone knows its a f150 without having to smear it across the front of the truck.

thank you!!!

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
I guess I just like the clean look. The huge F...O...R...D is distracting from what I think is a pretty clean front end.
Plus, it isn't a Raptor.

Those grills just aren't my taste.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts