F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be purchasing a F150 soon and needed some advice. Here in the wonderful middle of nowhere, (AKA SW Vermont) there are all kinds of F150's. Both the 2.7 & 3.5 Ecoboost and of course a lot of the V8's. I have it narrowed down to a 2013 -2014 F150 SuperCrew. The EcoBoosts tend to be a couple of thousand more, and have more mileage then the V8's that are available. So My question is, is it worth it? The truck will have between 80k and 100k miles, (Only thing available in my $15K to 20K price range) I need something that will last and I understand that with a used truck it's a gamble, previous maintenance place a huge roll and with some of the trucks I'm looking at the CarFax shows maintenance records. That combined with a pre purchase inspection should help eliminate the truly abused ones. Any help and advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
I would get killed here for giving my advice based solely on the criteria that you provided.

I'm guessing that's enough to read between the lines. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
To coincide with @snakebitten ‘s response. Given the information provided it would be a no brainer to get the 5.0L. From a depreciation standpoint & reliability the risk is less.

That being said a well maintained Ecoboost is a better motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
Since I now have some cover (thanks) I can say a healthy 3.5, even a 2.7, is far more enjoyable to pilot from the cockpit. My problem with medium to high mileage "used" is that, in my opinion, the maintenance required to give me faith is SO much more than I suspect the unknowing consumer would ever do.

Kinda a mouthful, I know. :)

·
Administrator
9,608 Posts
At 80-100k without knowing the maintenance history...Yeah I'd probably say 'yote also. So far the 2.7 is proving to be a pretty darn reliable motor also, but it still demands a Certain level of upkeep.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the replies. I should also add that my commute is around 70 miles round-trip per day, I will also not be towing much at least for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
You should know that in all the many THOUSANDS of posts I've seen here over the last 2 years, I believe you are the FIRST to have received coyote recommendations unanimously. (3 Ecoboost fan's posts in a row)

That's amazing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I realize and appreciate what it must have cost to write those replies. I wish I could afford a brand new 3.5 but with a daughter only 3 years from college it's just not in the cards. I'm giving her my current car so she has something reliable. (Don't shoot me but it's a 2014 Hyundai Elantra. I bought it when I was making twice weekly trips to New York City and Boston for work. Bought it brand new and it has never had an issue. Knock on wood, pray to anyone that will listen lol).

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
After I read your initial post I was going to make the same recommendation before I even read the other replies, for what you described you're looking for price range, years and your needs I would definitely go with the 5.0 as well. No question about it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If you can get a 2.7 with solid maintenance history it sounds like that would be a win. Mileage and drivability wise it’s a win win over the coyote. The problem is finding in your price point, it seems

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If you can get a 2.7 with solid maintenance history it sounds like that would be a win. Mileage and drivability wise it’s a win win over the coyote. The problem is finding in your price point, it seems

^^Definitely this, but as mentioned price point is going to be the challenge

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I will be purchasing a F150 soon and needed some advice. Here in the wonderful middle of nowhere, (AKA SW Vermont) there are all kinds of F150's. Both the 2.7 & 3.5 Ecoboost and of course a lot of the V8's. I have it narrowed down to a 2013 -2014 F150 SuperCrew. The EcoBoosts tend to be a couple of thousand more, and have more mileage then the V8's that are available. So My question is, is it worth it? The truck will have between 80k and 100k miles, (Only thing available in my $15K to 20K price range) I need something that will last and I understand that with a used truck it's a gamble, previous maintenance place a huge roll and with some of the trucks I'm looking at the CarFax shows maintenance records. That combined with a pre purchase inspection should help eliminate the truly abused ones. Any help and advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Any update?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts