F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right after I got my 2013 Eco I went out and put a 4 inch CB Flowmaster exhaust on it. I have always ran K&N CAI in my trucks so after the exhaust was installed I had one put on. My question is.... Should I replace the K&N and put the stock filter back on? It seems like I have too much air flow with the K&N CAI and the 4 inch exhaust setup. Could there be too little restriction? Just wondering if I switched back that if it would help the performance and or MPGs. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Honestly I would sell the intake and just get a drop in filter. You won't see any real gains with a CAI until you're deep into the boost game. Also, what 4" exhaust did you get from flowmaster?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I would sell the intake and just get a drop in filter. You won't see any real gains with a CAI until you're deep into the boost game. Also, what 4" exhaust did you get from flowmaster?
On the filter...that is the direction I was leaning. As for the exhaust... Honestly I'm not sure which one it is. I took it in and the guy that installed it swore by it. He said another guy with an Eco had just put one on and loved it. Told me that it would help with the MPGs give it more HP..... Right after it was installed I hated the sound. It sounded like a rice burner. So I took it back in and he put a resonator on it.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Why do you think there is "too much airflow"? A CAI doesn't flow much more than stock. So having a CAI shouldn't hurt performance in any way. If you have a CAI then keep it, if you don't then just do a drop in filter. It is totally up to you.

CAI do add to the turbo noise though if you are wanting that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do you think there is "too much airflow"? A CAI doesn't flow much more than stock. So having a CAI shouldn't hurt performance in any way. If you have a CAI then keep it, if you don't then just do a drop in filter. It is totally up to you.

CAI do add to the turbo noise though if you are wanting that.
Yeah I like the sound of the turbos with the CAI for sure! When it comes to airflow I guess my question was more so the CAI combined with the 4 inch CB exhaust.... Those 2 combined.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Yeah I like the sound of the turbos with the CAI for sure! When it comes to airflow I guess my question was more so the CAI combined with the 4 inch CB exhaust.... Those 2 combined.
Did you notice a lack of performance? These engines love to breathe.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
What you might be experiencing is a loss of low-end torque some members report with 4" exhaust. This can be remedied with a custom tune from a site vendor that will compensate for said exhaust. Also, a properly tuned 4" exhaust will give you a little more power in the upper rpm ranges.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you notice a lack of performance? These engines love to breathe.
I have a Livewire with 5 Star Tuning. On the performance tune it's great. When I have it stock my MPGs are horrible no matter how I drive it. I didn't know if performance would be better if I switched one of the two out. The CAI intake or exhaust. I have read conflicting things.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Ya I would also have to agree that the 4" is probably causing the performance issues in the stock form. A couple people have complained about it.

But if you are tuned why are you worked about stock mpg?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What you might be experiencing is a loss of low-end torque some members report with 4" exhaust. This can be remedied with a custom tune from a site vendor that will compensate for said exhaust. Also, a properly tuned 4" exhaust will give you a little more power in the upper rpm ranges.
I think you are right on there. When I have it tuned the low end is good. But on stock I can definitely feel the loss of low-end torque.

Reactions: AllWhiteEco

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya I would also have to agree that the 4" is probably causing the performance issues in the stock form. A couple people have complained about it.

But if you are tuned why are you worked about stock mpg?
I switch it back and forth to stock when I am towing. I am always worried I will do damage when towing a heavy trailer on performance tune. When I have it on the performance tune I really want to put my foot into it. I'll switch back to stock every once in awhile hoping that the MPGs will be better. I have never gotten better than 15-16 on highway and 12 in town.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Did you have the exhaust and CAI before or after you received your custom tune? There might be a little more left on the table now that your turbos can move air quicker.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you have the exhaust and CAI before or after you received your custom tune? There might be a little more left on the table now that your turbos can move air quicker.
I got the custom tune after those were installed.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I switch it back and forth to stock when I am towing. I am always worried I will do damage when towing a heavy trailer on performance tune. When I have it on the performance tune I really want to put my foot into it. I'll switch back to stock every once in awhile hoping that the MPGs will be better. I have never gotten better than 15-16 on highway and 12 in town.
Did you not get a 5* tow tune with your Livewire? I hear it's the bee's knees.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you not get a 5* tow tune with your Livewire? I hear it's the bee's knees.
I didn't. I'll have to look into that. I did get the the Lifetime Tunes from Stage 3. So I'll be checking that out.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I didn't. I'll have to look into that. I did get the the Lifetime Tunes from Stage 3. So I'll be checking that out.
When you bought your tuner what 5* tunes did you get?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I got a couple ECO tunes
image-905732307.jpg

Eco tunes are known to turn our fun to drive trucks into grocery getters. They detune the engine. On top of that, lots of people have reported getting similar MPGs with a performance tune. It's all about how you drive. The bonus is you still have all the power from a performance tune on tap. A heavy foot leads to more boost, and with more boost comes more fuel. Watch your boost gauge and learn how to stay out of it to get the best mileage. Just my 2¢.

Edit: Your most likely going to have to buy the tow tune. Lifetime tunes means they will give you free revisions on tunes you already have for any upgrades buy from them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
View attachment 33150

Eco tunes are known to turn our fun to drive trucks into grocery getters. They detune the engine. On top of that, lots of people have reported getting similar MPGs with a performance tune. It's all about how you drive. The bonus is you still have all the power from a performance tune on tap. A heavy foot leads to more boost, and with more boost comes more fuel. Watch your boost gauge and learn how to stay out of it to get the best mileage. Just my 2¢.

Edit: Your most likely going to have to buy the tow tune. Lifetime tunes means they will give you free revisions on tunes you already have for any upgrades buy from them.
Ha! I rarely use the Eco tunes. I typically switch back and forth from performance to stock.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Ya I would recommend a perf/tow tune. I run it as a daily driver and love the way they handle.

My perf/tow tunes get as good of mileage as the Econ tunes, as long as you stay out of the throttle.

But you were correct to not tow with a full performance tune.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts