F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Roger got it. Thanks for voicing your opinion. And warranty or not I didn’t expct Ford to cover all the cost. Nor did I expect to buy a lemon. my fault for not doing the research. Figured I should have gotten more then 105k before replacing major parts. But oh well. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn’t have bought it. But new motor goes on next week and then it’s going on the market ASAP. For the ones thinking about buying one. Just Google problems with 2.7 Ecoboost. First. Before you pull the trigger. My issue was the low oil pressure sensor. The light came one and went out. Two days later came on again and was brought the worst noise I have heard. I have heard some noises before. Like all but two rocker heads laying in top of the valves. When I pulled the covers of them. Lol this was ever worse sounding.
an other major problem is the piston rings cracking and letting your coolant in. Over time how does Ford put it “catastrophic engine failure” is the result. Same with low oil pressure sensor. And the oil pan not even going to go in to the transmission. And of course they have recalled them cause they know about it. Nope this is why this post has been ecobashing. To the guys that think this is a suspect thread. Hopefully you all won’t hear from me again about this 2.7 to the ones that helped thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Can you see the question I and others have asked ? Are you going to answer them so we can attempt to help ?
Yeah I seen the question. I didn’t take it to Ford So it’s couldn’t tell you. Besides not interested in repairing it. I was on here to see if ‘20 would bolt in to ‘16. Why fix the one thing only to have the other pop up two days later. Thanks anyway. Maybe you want to buy this motor? Then you’ll know exactly what’s wrong with it.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
@Rukus420chase Sorry your motor broke and was "just a little over" your warranty. But, the biggest problem you have - you bought an used vehicle and you have no idea how the previous owner treated the vehicle and how often he serviced it.

One thing EVERY Ecoboost Owner has learned, change your oil frequently, and don't use the stupid "Oil Life" Indicator. I change my oil at 5000km/3000miles religiously. And use high quality full Synthetic oit.

Right now, my truck looks great but because two morons hit my truck, while it was parked in my driveway, it has reportable accidents and no one wants it as a trade-in. Normally, I would have traded it in on a new model, but no one wants it at a fair price. Only if they can steal it from me.

So now, I am turning my truck into the truck I believe Ford should have built. And ultimately, part of the "build" will involve a new motor. Luckily, Ford does sell new Gen 1 Versions of my 3.5. I am sure they do for your 2.7 (excluding any delivery issues caused by Covid and that Suez Canal blockage). II am finding many parts are not available for whatever reason.

But you should consider just buying a new motor, especially if you are a along term owner. That is the path I plan to do, provided my truck is still in the same condition as now.

Investigate what a new Gen 1 2.7 costs. And, from my past experience with wrecking yards, they typically want 50% of the new price. So you know your haggle price.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
@Rukus420chase Sorry your motor broke and was "just a little over" your warranty. But, the biggest problem you have - you bought an used vehicle and you have no idea how the previous owner treated the vehicle and how often he serviced it.

One thing EVERY Ecoboost Owner has learned, change your oil frequently, and don't use the stupid "Oil Life" Indicator. I change my oil at 5000km/3000miles religiously. And use high quality full Synthetic oit.

Right now, my truck looks great but because two morons hit my truck, while it was parked in my driveway, it has reportable accidents and no one wants it as a trade-in. Normally, I would have traded it in on a new model, but no one wants it at a fair price. Only if they can steal it from me.

So now, I am turning my truck into the truck I believe Ford should have built. And ultimately, part of the "build" will involve a new motor. Luckily, Ford does sell new Gen 1 Versions of my 3.5. I am sure they do for your 2.7 (excluding any delivery issues caused by Covid and that Suez Canal blockage). II am finding many parts are not available for whatever reason.

But you should consider just buying a new motor, especially if you are a along term owner. That is the path I plan to do, provided my truck is still in the same condition as now.

Investigate what a new Gen 1 2.7 costs. And, from my past experience with wrecking yards, they typically want 50% of the new price. So you know your haggle price.
Very good advice indeed. I loved this truck when I first got might look into a new motor as a-posed to the used one I was thinking of getting and again who knows what was done to it before it got to the auto salvage. Where were you three days ago. Lol as to buying used one well I guess I figured they would checked it all out. Lol yeah right I guess. So do wish the 3.5 would fit in here. If I’m going to replace the motor might as well upgrade a bit. 😞

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
The 2.7 is actually a better engine than the 3.5, by most accounts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So the motor is on its last leg. 2016 2.7 Ecoboost. Feel like I had just gotten it last year. Oh yeah cause I did. And of course the truck is 4 months past the 5 year. And 5k past 100k. I only have 35k on it. Would be just breaking it in. But someone beat me to it. I’m looking of putting a ‘20 2.7 or upgrade to the 3.4 (or what ever it is). I’m not sure if it would bolt right in or not. If anyone knows or can point me in the right direction would be awesome. Me and Ford customers service had words. And we both agree I better not call them again after I found out I have to pay for it.
2015-20 it's quite easy to swap any engine you want to swap into the truck. Engine mounts the same on all engines as is the mount on frame location. You would just need to keep it proper engine/trans combo. 6R80 vs 10R80 what ever engine you want to swap in keep trans model from that engine along with PCM, BCM

Easy swap but think post is total bogus . .

I have a 2018 3.5 eco with only 4k miles on it. Just drop that in. If not sell me the truck and I will drop it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
2015-20 it's quite easy to swap any engine you want to swap into the truck. Engine mounts the same on all engines as is the mount on frame location. You would just need to keep it proper engine/trans combo. 6R80 vs 10R80 what ever engine you want to swap in keep trans model from that engine along with PCM, BCM

Easy swap but think post is total bogus . .

I have a 2018 3.5 eco with only 4k miles on it. Just drop that in. If not sell me the truck and I will drop it in.
Lol again with bogus post. Wounded why anyone post on here as soon as you do everyone starts in. Yes it’s a real post. I’m look for a gen 1 2.7 I was told on here that a gen 2 won’t work for me. But maybe he didn’t know what he’s talking about. Where about dare you located. I’m in edmonton Alberta Canada.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry for not responding sooner, I’ve been busy.
We are 2 different people and my post is not a bogus post. My Ford ESP is and was still very much in place and I am not “out of warranty”.

I’m in Ontario not Edmonton Alberta and Ford is currently replacing my engine under warranty and I did have to fight for it!

The Ford dealership still has my Truck and Ford has me in a rental until the repair is completed all covered under my extended warranty.

This has been a very long and frustrating process overall, I’m just happy it is getting resolved.

·
Registered
146 Posts
\There is more than just buying a GENII engine and dropping it in. As mentioned you would need the computer also which would add to the cost. A gen1 2.7L would be drop in. Also mentioned is the 6 speed compared to the 10 speed. not sure on how the engine computer and transmission computers work together. So yes a new model 2.7L will fit. It will require more parts and money to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am happy to say that Ford has finished replacing the short block and multiple parts to accommodate the pump update and I now have my truck back! The majority of the repairs were covered under my ESP warranty and I only had to pay very minor incidental costs including my deductible - nothing unreasonable whatsoever. It was a frustrating fight but I am happy that Ford did right by me in the end and have salvaged our relationship for the future. I imagine that they receive tons of claims that are questionable and they made me prove my case to them. I’m thankful that Ford Executive Office took the time to review my evidence and came to the conclusion that it was legitimate and that I was not being unreasonable as I was willing to work with them. Thank you to those of you on the forum who sent me some good advice!

Now that I own the truck (I bought it used) I’ll be doing my oil changes every 3500km not 8000km as Ford recommends…not taking any chances!

The selling dealer never responded to me, I have to thank Sterling Ford in Ottawa, Ontario for their assistance and support and for performing the repairs on my truck, they’ve been awesome helping me even though I didn’t buy it from them (I will next time).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts