F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No this is not a new manufacture of tonneau covers. It is more an extension of "Murphys Law". Had been looking for a tonneau cover for a long time, but went with a across the rail tool box which did well in holding what I felt I needed to have on hand. Things like jumper cables, tow straps, receiver clevis, tie down straps, 4 way tire wrench, bottle jack and such. Then came along my Ford Accessory folding tonneau cover at a can't pass on it deal so I jumped on it like a duck on a june bug. That was like this last Thursday or so. Now comes the weekend and I already am having to fold up the tonneau due to the needed of using the bed like that of a real truck. The to add salt to the wound, I'm in a position where I need to go dig up some of the items that I was carrying around in the tool box, not load them back into the truck and go put them to use. Plus I need to go pick up some lumber and land scape timbers.

It never fails, should has stuck with my gut feeling of being happy with the tool box, it gave me what I needed.

Of course it was nice to have out of sight security earlier today when I went and picked up that 45W solar panel system from HF this morning and then had to stop by Costco on the way home.

So here I sit back on the fence with the question of installing a tonneau cover. Leave it on, take it off and reinstall my tool box. So I store the tonneau cover in the garage, or stick it on Craigslist and pass it along. I mean I know I could sell it for what I paid for it in almost no time, but then if I ever wanted another I would never be able to replace it for that price.

Think I'll go eat some good Mexican food and partake in a couple of frozen Margarita and ponder more important things first and come back to this dilemma later.

Here is a question to ponder: If you have a tonneau cover on the bed of your pick up truck. Then install an aftermarket dual exhaust. Does this increase the odds for extended vehicle exhaust drone?:confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
You might check out the Access tonneau covers. They have a cover that works with your toolbox, so you might get the best of both worlds. I have their Literider cover, and I'm really happy with it. It's definitely worth checking out, especially if you'd like to have a cover and keep your toolbox in the truck. Here's their website: http://www.agricover.com/access/

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got an Extang hard trifold and i'm thinking about the same issues. Looking for behind the wheel wells tool boxes. That way, I can just flip the tri fold once, then get in the boxes if I need to. They sit out of the way, and don't use up any flat bed space, so i can still fit sheets of 4x8 in the bed flat with the tailgate down. There's obviously not as much storage space as a full across the rails tool box, but I'm just storing towing/camping accessories back there for convenience.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had the same cover on my truck as you, I had a 2x6 that I put into the groves of the box, about 14" from the back of the box. Held stuff back there pretty decently. Then installed some swing case toolboxes.
Sorry I don't have a picture with both the tool boxes and the cover on(but you can still see the rails from the cover) as I've removed them both from the truck, as I plan on upgrading trucks soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the boxes. Exactly what I've been looking for, and just ordered them. :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
327 Posts
Those swinging tool boxes are sweet. I have personally never seen anything like them and will be adding them to the list.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Where do you find them? What was the cost? Do they have a brand name? I'm interested.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Amazon does carry them, they seem to average in the $165 to $180 each side. Amazon does have a couple of the driver side boxes in the $149 area.
http://www.amazon.com/UnderCover-SC...&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

I also noticed the Bak Industries does make an under the cover tool box that also folds up when not needed in the $240 price range. It does go all the way across the bed of the truck with a 150# load rating.

I'm thinking of making use of a few larger size plastic tote boxes I have for storage and simply strapping it along the bulkhead of the bed with the use of a ratcheting strap and the Ford tie down points....cost to go this route if FREE.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts