F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Bought a new 13 FX4 in Tuxedo Black in Nov 12. Currently has ~6500 trouble-free (touch wood!) km's on it.

A few cosmetic mods - bug shield, stick-on window vent covers, spray bed liner, Extang Trifecta tri-fold tonneau.

Looking forward to learning and sharing from North of the 49th Parallel.

Cheers!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Texas! Congrats on your new FX4 and if you get a chance post some pics! I lived in Toronto for a couple of years.. what a cool city!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, Dan.

She's a fully-loaded FX4 with 3.73 axle and Max Trailer Tow (plus Nav, Sony, Sunroof, HID's, tailgate step/stripper pole, etc). A buddy of mine owns a detailing shop, so I also had her waxed and rust-proofed a week after buying her - she looked cleaner than she did driving off the dealers lot!

I traded an '09 Kia Borrego (EX with 4.6L V8 - a fantastic SUV: AWD, seats 7, tow-rated for 7500lbs, MUCH cheaper than a comparable Exploder). We upgraded our RV last year, and our new Sprinter 311BHS is around 9500lbs "wet 'n ready", so I needed a heavier duty truck to pull the new rig during the summer months, however I didn't want to jump into an SD since this truck is also a daily driver. I'd been paying close attention to this V6 since it was new to the market, and was impressed by the power/gas consumption claims.

The truck's an awesome ride so far, and a lot of fun to drive North of the GTA (where we live), but navigating through daily downtown traffic (and finding somewhere that can accomodate a full-sized truck for parking) can be a wee PITA!

Enough of my BS - Here are a couple of pics I took of the truck on the dealer's lot. I'd take a few more recent shots, but she's filthy dirty with all the roadsalt right now...!

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
My 13 XLT Screw Max Tow has manual folding/telescoping mirrors. The mirrors seem bigger and more substanial than the ones on my 04 F-350.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did Ford change the Max Tow Package? They used to put different mirrors on the Max Tow Package.
I just got my '13 F-150 Ecoboost, Crew Cab, FX4 last week......it has the Max Tow Package and from everything I've learned, the bigger mirrors like I have and had on my SD are part of the MT Package. These mirrors are almost identical to the one on my '08 SD. Power Telescoping and folding. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those come standard with the package.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My understanding is that the Max Trailer Tow package comes with the power fold mirrors (as I have), but the HD Payload option comes with the telescoping mirrors, as well as the upgraded rear axle.

However, I've been known to be wrong before (just ask my wife! ;) )

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am looking at purchasing a new Lariat with the Max Trailer Tow Package. The one on the lot did not have mirrors like yours but did have the power telescoping, heated, and folding ones. I'll post a picture of what they look like (see below). It may merely be different with the hundreds of different options there are (off road, equipment groups, etc.).

The main reason I wanted to post is you are the first one I have seen that is towing an RV. I too have an RV trailer (Jayco 33RLDS) that I pull and it weights almost the same as yours "wet". The F150 is an option but I find it hard to wrap my head around the stated towing capabilities from a V6. The Ford videos pulling a flatbed on a generally level surface with tow stock cars did little to convince me of "real world" applications. I wanted to see them haul a RV with a large frontal drag area up and and down hills. Having said this...how does the F150 eco handle all the weight...to include the tongue weight. I assume you use a weight distribution hitch like I do? I currently have a F250 Crew diesel long bed so it feels like I am stepping backwards.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Don
F150 tow mirrors.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Don,

I have yet to tow my trailer with the truck yet - it's parked on a seasonal campsite through the winter. Our aim is to pick the trailer up around late April/early May, and as the weather warms here.

In terms of the mirrors/packages, I ~believe~ the telescoping mirrors are a part of the HD Payload option - here's an example
New 2013 Ford F-150 COLLINGWOOD Ontario | Barrie Area New Ford Super Crew - 00P283

The Max Tow Trailer package (that I have) includes the regular power/fold mirrors - here's an example:
2013 Ford F-150 *NEW* SUPER CREW FX4 *402A* 4X4 ECOBOOST 3.5L V6 For Sale | COLLINGWOOD ON

'course, these could be 'Canada Only' differences (our choices up here for options/accs/models are often far more limited than those in the US)

Since my trailer is a bumper-pull (and not a 5th wheel), then I don't need the additional bed payload, so the 3.73 (non-HD payload) ~should~ suffice for my purposes. I'll be using a WD hitch as and when I do hook-up the trailer, and I may even consider investing in airbags to help keep the truck level.

Cheers.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts