F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, I got my new 17 3.5 Ecoboost Screw Fx4 w/ 3.55 a few months ago. I've been lurking around the forum since I got the truck, I'm glad we finally got a 2017 forum! I had a minor issue the other day, just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced problem with the Wastegate on their new 3.5. At about a 1200 miles I had a check engine light come on. No noticeable change in performance, but I went ahead and took it to the dealer. The dealer said there was a TSB out on recalibrating the waste gates on the turbos, apparently my wastegate was remaining open. Well yesterday on the way back from lunch the check engine light came on again and the vehicle went into limp home mode so I took it directly to the dealer. They said it was the same issue and have ordered a replacement wastegate which won't be in until Wednesday. I have some experience with supercharged engines, but relatively none with turbocharged ones. Any issues I should worry about that might arise from the wastegate being stuck open? I don't think it was stuck open for a long period of time, but I have been keeping a foot in the truck since I got it lol. I'm guessing it's probably mechanically actuated and it was just a faulty motor or something causing this issue. Anyone had this issue or work at a dealership that has seen this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
The turbos on the gen 2 are electronically actuated waste gates. If it forces you into limp mode that's definitely a problem but with a waste gate stuck wide open you just wouldn't make as much boost and it will feel less powerful.

·
Registered
642 Posts
the wastegate is what is used to divert exhaust gases from the turbine directly into the exhaust. so, when this is open its not spinning the turbine nearly as much and you shouldn't ever see boost.

basically getting stuck open is better than stuck closed, that's when your motor goes KABOOM.

the BOV is the intake side device that operates with the same logic. A turbo systems function by way of equilibrium while a supercharger just makes boost dependent upon how fast the pulley spins.

This is why turbo setups are always more complicated, they just have to be in order to work properly but that's also why they are so efficient, you're using waste to make power.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey Guys, I got my new 17 3.5 Ecoboost Screw Fx4 w/ 3.55 a few months ago. I've been lurking around the forum since I got the truck, I'm glad we finally got a 2017 forum! I had a minor issue the other day, just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced problem with the Wastegate on their new 3.5. At about a 1200 miles I had a check engine light come on. No noticeable change in performance, but I went ahead and took it to the dealer. The dealer said there was a TSB out on recalibrating the waste gates on the turbos, apparently my wastegate was remaining open. Well yesterday on the way back from lunch the check engine light came on again and the vehicle went into limp home mode so I took it directly to the dealer. They said it was the same issue and have ordered a replacement wastegate which won't be in until Wednesday. I have some experience with supercharged engines, but relatively none with turbocharged ones. Any issues I should worry about that might arise from the wastegate being stuck open? I don't think it was stuck open for a long period of time, but I have been keeping a foot in the truck since I got it lol. I'm guessing it's probably mechanically actuated and it was just a faulty motor or something causing this issue. Anyone had this issue or work at a dealership that has seen this issue?

Not related to your thread but i think i spot a zr2 behind your truck!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
Stuck open is fine stuck closed would be bad. Did they say it was the actuator itself or the wastegate solenoid?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the information and for the confirmation that it shouldn't be an issue. From what I had read I figured as much, but my forte is naturally aspirated motors so I just wanted to be sure. They didn't specify if it was the actuator or the solenoid, I'm not sure they even knew. I'm guessing it is all inclosed in one piece, they just said they were changing out the wastegate. Thanks for the welcomes to the forum, I look forward to learning a lot here!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not related to your thread but i think i spot a zr2 behind your truck!?

Yes sir it is! I said I would sale it when I got my new truck, but I've got so much time and work into it I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet. It might just be time for the 350 swap I've always wanted to do!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes sir it is! I said I would sale it when I got my new truck, but I've got so much time and work into it I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet. It might just be time for the 350 swap I've always wanted to do!

Nice! I miss the heck out of my z, i sold it around 4 years ago and wish i wouldve just kept it!

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I've been wondering when they were going to use electronic wastegate actuators. They have had electronic actuators on the diesel VNT turbos for years and it makes a big difference in boost control. I am in the process of trying to convert my jeep from vacuum to electronic control.

Now they just need a VNT ecoboost turbo like in the Porsche 911.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts