F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
I feel a little vindicated. Lol

That little snapshot posted above with the "list of items" included with each package is very revealing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I decided to go to the source and call Ford. It was a lengthy conversation with several holds but the agent finally stated that the only thing required to take the F-150 from the 5,000# "bumper" limit to the 7,600# limit (for a 2018 SCrew with 2.7 and 3.53) is a HITCH RECEIVER. (period, the end) I re-stated this back to him and he again confirmed that his account manager had found this information for him.

Granted, Ford recommends a weight distributing hitch for weights north of 5,000# but this confirms any of these vehicles can pull more than the 5,000# limit if a properly rated hitch receiver is installed.

The OPs dealer was correct and the information in post #6 is fake news.
I wouldn't call it fake news. The 2018 F150 towing guide manual clearly states that you must have a trailer tow package or max tow package to tow trailers >5000 lbs.

Capture.PNG

This is different than saying you just need the receiver hitch. Go to the Ford Build and Price and you can build a 2.7 Ecoboost truck with just the hitch or the tow package.

Also, this picture is straight from the 2018 manual:

Capture1.PNG

That seems to state the bumper pulling and tow package limitations are two separate things.

This makes sense. My F150 has the 3.5 with Max-tow package, so all the top level cooling equipment, and it still gets hot towing a 5000 lb camper.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
It's paragraphs like this that cause all the confusion and angst.

It implies that you can't tow more than 5000 without the "Heavy Duty Towing Package"?

Not to mention the paragraph just above it implies that bumper towing is the 5000lb limiter.

It's just crazy how the documentation is all over the map. And that list of items included in each "package" clearly reveals how the truck is equipped with each package. While I admit that the fans and radiator are potentially a big enhancer, even you admit that they don't really seem to be much of a real world difference. At least not Fords OEM offerings.

If an aftermarket component of ANY kind actually addressed the real world overheating issues of the mighty 3.5 Ecoboost in towing, I'd choose it in a heartbeat over the Ford Factory towing hardware options!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I feel a little vindicated. Lol

That little snapshot posted above with the "list of items" included with each package is very revealing.

You? LOL! I hate to say, er uh no I don't. I told you so . . . :)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I wouldn't call it fake news. The 2018 F150 towing guide manual clearly states that you must have a trailer tow package or max tow package to tow trailers >5000 lbs.

View attachment 156466

This is different than saying you just need the receiver hitch. Go to the Ford Build and Price and you can build a 2.7 Ecoboost truck with just the hitch or the tow package.

Also, this picture is straight from the 2018 manual:

View attachment 156468

That seems to state the bumper pulling and tow package limitations are two separate things.

This makes sense. My F150 has the 3.5 with Max-tow package, so all the top level cooling equipment, and it still gets hot towing a 5000 lb camper.
Naturally, there is some benefit to many of the items listed, in the primary towing packages. If those items are not on the truck in question already. That part is debatable for every single truck and some of the parts listed are questionably on every EcoBoost F150. That particular table has always left questions for owners, as many trucks came with items listed regardless of package. Coolers and fans, (if they truly don't exist) would disadvantage a truck, but towing short distances on flat ground in cooler climates negate some of the need for those.

In any case, Ford would have to prove whatever you were towing broke something in order to void your warranty for a specific item. That is true with anything per the law of the land.

But, the primary point is the receiver is what gives you to weight bearing and towing capability. The other items just enhance the experience. For the occasional tow, it can be done with only the receiver (and required lights/braking). For towing more often, enhance your experience.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wanted to add that its very difficult to determine exactly what is on these trucks from the window stickers as they don't specifically say 53A, 53B, or 53C anywhere. I actually had to call my dealer (who is a friend), and have him dive into the build sheet they had in the system to determine what my truck had. For the most part you can figure it out by listed options, but when your buying something off the lot that the dealer "put together", I want to actually know. In the end, mine was 53A, which because of the pro trailer backup assist I thought it was, but I also had the trailer brake controller which is what threw me for a loop. If you notice 53A doesn't come with that, but iirc they added it on when it was ordered, which kind of made sense to me. I do like it a lot more that my aftermarket controller though it takes a bit of setting up.

Pro trailer backup assist I have yet to use other than playing while backing into the driveway at home. But when you have 10 people at the campground waiting on you to back in, it tends to be easier doing it the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If the window sticker says "trailer tow package", it's 53A. If the window sticker says "max trailer tow package", it is 53C. If the window sticker says "class IV trailer hitch", it is 53B.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ideally I'll find one that has the factory towing package due to the upgraded fan & radiator. Just in case I get the perfect deal on one without factory towing, I posted a question on eTrailer.com about adding towing to a standard F-150. See link below for detailed recommendation. I'd still try to install the OEM brake controller but the option eTrailer lists is a nice alternative.

Recommended Tow Package Parts for 2018 Ford F-150

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Like bay city?

I’m in cypress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alvin is where I'm at. ½ between 288 south and 45 south. Close to coast but you gotta go parallel to the coastline (either east or west) before you can go south to the beach.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Alvin is where I'm at. ½ between 288 south and 45 south. Close to coast but you gotta go parallel to the coastline (either east or west) before you can go south to the beach.

Love that area down there as well as east Tx, hillcountry. Heck the whole state hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
About this Discussion
71 Replies
23 Participants
surf_ox
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing