F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dsc_3638.jpg

While Ford Motor Company hasn’t divulged many details on the new 2.7L EcoBoost V6 that will power the 2015 Ford F150 but based on some of the minor details offered, we can make a few guesses as to what to expect – including the fact that the next generation F150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost will almost certainly be the most efficient half ton pickup sold in America.

Original source: http://www.torquenews.com/106/new-27l-ecoboost-v6-will-make-2015-ford-f150-most-efficient-truck-us

We don’t know much about the new 2.7L EcoBoost that will power the 2015 Ford F150 when it goes on sale later this year such as power figures or fuel economy numbers but Ford has stated that this tiny new turbocharged V6 will offer similar power to some mid-range V8 truck engines. The Ram brand and Nissan no longer offer a mid-range V8 in their half ton pickups but Chevrolet and Toyota do. The new Silverado features a 5.3L V8 with 355hp and 383lb-ft of torque while the Toyota Tundra’s 4.6L V8 offers 310hp and 327lb-ft of torque. Considering that the current 3.5L EcoBoost V6 365hp and 420lb-ft of torque it is unlikely that the 2.7L EcoBoost will challenge Chevy’s 5.3L V8 since this new EcoBoost would be infringing on the 3.5L EcoBoost that serves as the premium engine option. On the other hand, with Toyota’s mid-range V8 offering only 310 horsepower and 327lb-ft of torque – the new EcoBoost could very well challenge that 8-cylinder mill. It should be noted that the 5.6L V8 at work in the current Nissan Titan produces 317hp and 385lb-ft of torque so should the new 2.7L EcoBoost actually make somewhere in the area of 310hp – it will be tough competition for the Titan’s only V8 as well.

In addition to likely being more powerful as Toyota’s 4.6L V8 and Nissan’s 5.6L V8, the new 2.7L EcoBoost V6 in the 2015 Ford F150 will almost surely offer far better fuel economy than these V8s…and maybe every other engine in the half ton truck segment. In addition to the EcoBoost technology that will make this new mill very efficient and very powerful, the smallest engine in the 2015 F150 lineup will be the first Ford truck to feature Start/Stop technology. This shuts the engine off when the truck has come to a stop but this new Start/Stop system in the 2015 F150 pickups that are powered by the new EcoBoost engine will automatically disable itself when the truck is in four wheel drive or when it is towing. These EcoBoost trucks will also feature a new Active Grille Shutter feature that will help to improve fuel economy further so between the lightweight nature of the 2015 F150, the new Start/Stop system and the technology that is used on every new EcoBoost engine – the 2015 Ford F150 will almost surely stake its claim as being the most efficient pickup in the US market. To do so, the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 will have to allow the new F150 to hit better than the 25 miles per gallon offered by the V6 Pentastar powered 2014 Ram 1500. With the powerful 3.5L EcoBoost helping the much heavier 2014 F150 hit 22mpg on the highway, a new engine that focuses more closely on fuel economy shouldn’t have a tough time hitting 26mpg.

If I were a betting man, I would guess that the 2.7L EcoBoost 4-cylinder that will power the 2015 Ford F150 will offer 310 horsepower, 330lb-ft of torque and rear wheel drive highway fuel economy ratings of 26 miles per gallon. The 2015 F150 is promised to hit dealerships later this year so it shouldn’t be long before we know more about the new EcoBoost V6 but the odds are better than not that this engine will be the most fuel efficient engine in the half ton truck segment.
- See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/106/new-27l-ecoboost-v6-will-make-2015-ford-f150-most-efficient-truck-us#sthash.e53Gfdsn.dpuf

·
Registered
36 Posts
Will they release the numbers on all the engines at the big show this weekend. Just real curious what numbers the 3.5 is gonna have.

·
Registered
158 Posts

While Ford Motor Company hasn’t divulged many details on the new 2.7L EcoBoost V6 that will power the 2015 Ford F150 but based on some of the minor details offered, we can make a few guesses as to what to expect – including the fact that the next generation F150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost will almost certainly be the most efficient half ton pickup sold in America.

Original source: The New 2.7L EcoBoost V6 Will Make the 2015 Ford F150 the Most Efficient Truck in the US - Torque News

We don’t know much about the new 2.7L EcoBoost that will power the 2015 Ford F150 when it goes on sale later this year such as power figures or fuel economy numbers but Ford has stated that this tiny new turbocharged V6 will offer similar power to some mid-range V8 truck engines. The Ram brand and Nissan no longer offer a mid-range V8 in their half ton pickups but Chevrolet and Toyota do. The new Silverado features a 5.3L V8 with 355hp and 383lb-ft of torque while the Toyota Tundra’s 4.6L V8 offers 310hp and 327lb-ft of torque. Considering that the current 3.5L EcoBoost V6 365hp and 420lb-ft of torque it is unlikely that the 2.7L EcoBoost will challenge Chevy’s 5.3L V8 since this new EcoBoost would be infringing on the 3.5L EcoBoost that serves as the premium engine option. On the other hand, with Toyota’s mid-range V8 offering only 310 horsepower and 327lb-ft of torque – the new EcoBoost could very well challenge that 8-cylinder mill. It should be noted that the 5.6L V8 at work in the current Nissan Titan produces 317hp and 385lb-ft of torque so should the new 2.7L EcoBoost actually make somewhere in the area of 310hp – it will be tough competition for the Titan’s only V8 as well.

In addition to likely being more powerful as Toyota’s 4.6L V8 and Nissan’s 5.6L V8, the new 2.7L EcoBoost V6 in the 2015 Ford F150 will almost surely offer far better fuel economy than these V8s…and maybe every other engine in the half ton truck segment. In addition to the EcoBoost technology that will make this new mill very efficient and very powerful, the smallest engine in the 2015 F150 lineup will be the first Ford truck to feature Start/Stop technology. This shuts the engine off when the truck has come to a stop but this new Start/Stop system in the 2015 F150 pickups that are powered by the new EcoBoost engine will automatically disable itself when the truck is in four wheel drive or when it is towing. These EcoBoost trucks will also feature a new Active Grille Shutter feature that will help to improve fuel economy further so between the lightweight nature of the 2015 F150, the new Start/Stop system and the technology that is used on every new EcoBoost engine – the 2015 Ford F150 will almost surely stake its claim as being the most efficient pickup in the US market. To do so, the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 will have to allow the new F150 to hit better than the 25 miles per gallon offered by the V6 Pentastar powered 2014 Ram 1500. With the powerful 3.5L EcoBoost helping the much heavier 2014 F150 hit 22mpg on the highway, a new engine that focuses more closely on fuel economy shouldn’t have a tough time hitting 26mpg.

If I were a betting man, I would guess that the 2.7L EcoBoost 4-cylinder that will power the 2015 Ford F150 will offer 310 horsepower, 330lb-ft of torque and rear wheel drive highway fuel economy ratings of 26 miles per gallon. The 2015 F150 is promised to hit dealerships later this year so it shouldn’t be long before we know more about the new EcoBoost V6 but the odds are better than not that this engine will be the most fuel efficient engine in the half ton truck segment.
- See more at: The New 2.7L EcoBoost V6 Will Make the 2015 Ford F150 the Most Efficient Truck in the US - Torque News
the article has confused itself as to whether its a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
download.jpg Passenger side

Ford-s-2-7L-Ecoboost-engine-for-the-Ford-F-150.jpg Driver side

I did notice the Compressor housing is imprinted with FoMo logo, so these are ford turbos

Unless the BorgWarners on the 3.5 are imprinted the same, i haven't seen them up close

·
Registered
216 Posts
The turbo bolts directly to the head. The manifold is cast into the head with a turbo attached to each side. If it were the same hp per liter as the 3.5 it would be 282hp and 324tq. However the video says a compacted graphite iron block or cylinder sleeves (cant remember exactly) for increased cylinder pressures hinting at a higher efficiency than the 3.5 l. I think the 310 hp estimate is close but the tq will be higher. My guess is 310-320 hp and 350-370 tq. I think the 3.5 will be a little more efficient as well. My guess would be 380hp 450tq.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think the current Eco and 5.0 will get a small bump in power so that the new Eco will fit better in the powertrain line up. The new little giant will be big seller for those who want to have a truck but don't need a truck for towing (heavy) which is the larger sum of truck owners. I still hope Ford isn't going to drop the 6.2 totally but if they really leave it behind the idea of a TT5.0 would be awesome I just think it will be a SVT (Raptor and Cobra Jet) option at first and maybe make it into F150.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I think the current Eco and 5.0 will get a small bump in power so that the new Eco will fit better in the powertrain line up. The new little giant will be big seller for those who want to have a truck but don't need a truck for towing (heavy) which is the larger sum of truck owners. I still hope Ford isn't going to drop the 6.2 totally but if they really leave it behind the idea of a TT5.0 would be awesome I just think it will be a SVT (Raptor and Cobra Jet) option at first and maybe make it into F150.
If they made a 5.0TT raptor or Fx4, I'd be waiting in line for one the day they hit the dealership. It'll probably never happen, but there's always the hellion kit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The hellion Kit is nice but has fitment issues. The Procharger unit is where it is at!! I don't want to racecar my truck but if I did, Procharger all day long. One of my good buddies has Boss Block in his 2011 Mustang with Procharger and makes 742rwhp, he had to go Auto just to handle driving it (still a beast to drive).

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
The hellion Kit is nice but has fitment issues. The Procharger unit is where it is at!! I don't want to racecar my truck but if I did, Procharger all day long. One of my good buddies has Boss Block in his 2011 Mustang with Procharger and makes 742rwhp, he had to go Auto just to handle driving it (still a beast to drive).
Auto is where it's at now... Personally, I love driving a manual, and if it was an option my truck would have it. But, the manuals just can't handle the power like the 6R80 (mustang and F150) can.

Pro chargers are nice, but I'd either go with a Kenne Belle or a turbo set up. I didn't know much about turbo systems coming into the ecoboost, but in the past year I've learned a lot about how to properly set them up. I think I'll end up with a small project car pretty soon.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Auto is where it's at now... Personally, I love driving a manual, and if it was an option my truck would have it. But, the manuals just can't handle the power like the 6R80 (mustang and F150) can. Pro chargers are nice, but I'd either go with a Kenne Belle or a turbo set up. I didn't know much about turbo systems coming into the ecoboost, but in the past year I've learned a lot about how to properly set them up. I think I'll end up with a small project car pretty soon.
Pro charger technology has come along way too. They can make ALOT of power and torque

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Pro charger technology has come along way too. They can make ALOT of power and torque
From what I understand a procharger is essentially a belt driven turbocharger, I may be wrong though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts