F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Purchased a new 2018 XLT and love most things about my truck. I say most, because this truck is lacking BIG TIME in the lighting department. My headlights are dimmer than street lights, I sometimes wonder if they are even on.... The more I do research into lighting upgrades, the more I am confused. Some say HIDs, LEDS, and some just recommend upgrading to a higher quality bulb. I don't want to replace the stock assemblies, and I am not much for upgrading a vehicle unless it improves usage/function. Seeing how much of a pain it is to access the headlights, I want to replace both low and high beams at the same time. What should I do? What have you guys done to improve your headlights? Also, is there a difference between the 17 and 18 housings? Most major manufacturers don't have an updated 2018 catalog.
Thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
welcome to the forum.

shouldn't take long for the catalogs to get updated.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Personally I went LED for headlights on my 18 XLT and love it. The throw is perfect and really bright. The bulb was a H11 if I remember right

Reactions: 2Canches

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just saw something interesting on one of the Motor Week episodes about headlight quality on late model vehicles. Evidently the lighting although far superior to that on older vehicles is still considered by industry standards to be lacking. I don't drive much so I don't notice the headlights not being as good as they should be. Everyone's senses are different. Lighting like sound quality can be very subjective. I've seen some oncoming lights from a distance on low beam that appeared to be exceptionally bright and almost as bright as high beams. I would say that it boils down to how much one wants to spend.

·
Administrator
4,079 Posts
Everyone's senses are different. Lighting, like sound quality, can be very subjective. .
^^^^^^^^ T H I S ^^^^^^^^^
My halogen headlights work perfectly fine for me...but I don't do a lot of dark country-road night time driving.
And my stock stereo system is pretty decent (not great, but completely enjoyable)

When I read the angry blasts to the quality of the lighting or the sound system, it baffles me because my subjective taste sees/hears things differently. LOL

Reactions: goJim

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
^^^^^^^^ T H I S ^^^^^^^^^
My halogen headlights work perfectly fine for me...but I don't do a lot of dark country-road night time driving.
And my stock stereo system is pretty decent (not great, but completely enjoyable)

When I read the angry blasts to the quality of the lighting or the sound system, it baffles me because my subjective taste sees/hears things differently. LOL
I'm obviously all for upgrades. It's an ongoing adventure. But I agree, I have few and VERY minor complaints for the modern OEM features.
These trucks would be considered science fiction just a few decades ago.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2018 stock headlights sucked. I replaced them all with LEDs (stock housing), set up Bambi mode (high, low + fog on all at one time) and it's a world of difference. Being in Oregon, I drive a lot in rain, fog, and darkness, on back roads. I need real lights and the stock halogens are garbage.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2018 stock headlights sucked. I replaced them all with LEDs (stock housing), set up Bambi mode (high, low + fog on all at one time) and it's a world of difference. Being in Oregon, I drive a lot in rain, fog, and darkness, on back roads. I need real lights and the stock halogens are garbage.

Mike
Can you link me all of these bulbs? I want to do the same exact as you.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Jesus, you spent 125$ for bulbs?!
$125 per pair.
It's a little expensive for me, but as long as he's happy with the end result, I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Piaas are $100 a pair

Ya. People should find “cheaper” on eBay

$60k truck. Let’s buy go cheap to make it better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Piaas are $100 a pair

Ya. People should find “cheaper” on eBay

$60k truck. Let’s buy go cheap to make it better

$60k truck comes with the good headlights.

Reactions: milesej05

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
$60k truck comes with the good headlights.
GMC has good headlights.
Ford has good everything else

Not sure why this is new to everyone. Ford lacks in the headlight department. O well add $125 or cheaper bulbs. Or spend $500 ish on retrofits or whatever floats your boat.

Just think. How much would this &60k truck be with gmc headlights? Now you can’t afford a ford

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Side note. Why do people buy 60k or what whatever price (I spent 53k cdn) then mod it? Didn’t ford make the best truck in the first place? Why are y’all changing the exhaust? It was engineered to be the best performance. Or you just want to hear it. Just like lights. You just want to see the road.

·
Administrator
7,854 Posts
Side note. Why do people buy 60k or what whatever price (I spent 53k cdn) then mod it? Didn’t ford make the best truck in the first place? Why are y’all changing the exhaust? It was engineered to be the best performance. Or you just want to hear it. Just like lights. You just want to see the road.

Pot, meet Kettle.

JKJK.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts