F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone hates talking about this but I have a legitimate question. So I upgraded to a new 2019 3.5 ecoboost from my 2016 2.7 ecoboost. I had installed a catch can on my 2016 and it was working but mainly in the winter months, very little observed in spring, summer, fall that was being removed. I have heard that Ford made some changes to the newer engines that possibly made the need for catch cans less likely than previously. I'm wondering everyones thoughts on this who have installed the cans on the newer engines. Thanks,

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
The major reason for using it in the 2011-2016 was to help minimize valve coking. This is not an issue with the dual injection on the 2017+

So no, I dont think I wouod bother.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know everyone hates talking about this but I have a legitimate question. So I upgraded to a new 2019 3.5 ecoboost from my 2016 2.7 ecoboost. I had installed a catch can on my 2016 and it was working but mainly in the winter months, very little observed in spring, summer, fall that was being removed. I have heard that Ford made some changes to the newer engines that possibly made the need for catch cans less likely than previously. I'm wondering everyones thoughts on this who have installed the cans on the newer engines. Thanks,
I understand that Ford has split the gas intake between the side port and the top-air-port injection so the air intake valve gets washed with every cycle, which should help the intake valves from coking up so much. Not sure of the exact year, but I think it was around the 2016 model..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I understand that Ford has split the gas intake between the side port and the top-air-port injection so the air intake valve gets washed with every cycle, which should help the intake valves from coking up so much. Not sure of the exact year, but I think it was around the 2016 model..
2017 for Dual Injection on the 3.5 EB.
2018 for Dual Injection on the 2.7 EB

Truth be known the Valve Coking has not been a major issue on the 3.5EB anyway (likely because Ford had a cam phaser cycle that allowed fuel backflow through the intake valve).
Now with the Dual Injection (instituted to fight LSPI and decrease cold start idle and low throttle low load emissions) it should be even less of an issue.

None of the 300,000-450,000 mi (about 6) Gen I EB I know of have had issues with coked valves and all share one similarity (No Catch Can).

·
Registered
216 Posts
2017 for Dual Injection on the 3.5 EB.
2018 for Dual Injection on the 2.7 EB

Truth be known the Valve Coking has not been a major issue on the 3.5EB anyway (likely because Ford had a cam phaser cycle that allowed fuel backflow through the intake valve).
Now with the Dual Injection (instituted to fight LSPI and decrease cold start idle and low throttle low load emissions) it should be even less of an issue.

None of the 300,000-450,000 mi (about 6) Gen I EB I know of have had issues with coked valves and all share one similarity (No Catch Can).
Gene,

Thank for the information. Where are you getting the "no catch can data" from this from? I've been leary of the whole catch can thing. Still running bone stock myself with 80k miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
SuperDave23
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing