·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Curious if there's any hardware involved in the power bump?

It's so easy for Ford to increase their OEM power rating with nothing but software. We all know there's an untapped 100HP in those motors.

Kind of like Intel releasing their next most powerful processor, when they have the next 2 or 3 more powerful ones sitting ready to up the game anytime they choose.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious if there's any hardware involved in the power bump?

It's so easy for Ford to increase their OEM power rating with nothing but software. We all know there's an untapped 100HP in those motors.

Kind of like Intel releasing their next most powerful processor, when they have the next 2 or 3 more powerful ones sitting ready to up the game anytime they choose.

That was my thought as well. Tweak a couple things in the tune and its no problem.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
The badges actually say powerboost? That is just embarrassing.

I hope there is another forum created for these trucks. With all the questions on here, can you imagine the amount of questions there will be for hybrid battery issues? lol

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
The badges actually say powerboost? That is just embarrassing.

I hope there is another forum created for these trucks. With all the questions on here, can you imagine the amount of questions there will be for hybrid battery issues? lol
I wonder which models will allow the Hybrid or is it going to be it's own separate model (and cost more)?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder which models will allow the Hybrid or is it going to be it's own separate model (and cost more)?
I know guys were already building them with Lariats on the other forum. Not sure if you can get them in XLT or lower but it would kinda make sense to have in the lower trim since they have the 7.2kW generator.

There is a preliminary build and price for the 2021s.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Powerboost = fail.

I want to see what the payload numbers really are for a loaded out PB truck. If a non-PB truck maxes at 3325, but most loaded Lariats/Plats end up around 1600... then a 2120 payload on the PB (which is going to be the absolute most stripped down version) means a well appointed truck will hit... what, 1200?

And 14K behind an F150 of any configuration is insanity.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I know guys were already building them with Lariats on the other forum. Not sure if you can get them in XLT or lower but it would kinda make sense to have in the lower trim since they have the 7.2kW generator.

There is a preliminary build and price for the 2021s.
I may take one for a test drive when they are readily available. Especially when I can compare it to my current truck.

Where I live, there is only hills. Fuel economy is horrible for almost every vehicle I have driven here, except a Fusion Hybrid that I had rented a couple of months ago. It would recharge enough going downhill that I could run on battery when I finally found the 'odd flat spot' to drive.

It did get great fuel economy, better than even some motorcycles I have owned.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think it is amazing the amount of power these new model trucks have. I can't imagine what will be available in 5, 10 years! At the same time I would be scared to leave my driveway with 14k behind a half ton truck.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I believe you can get it in every trim level including the xl. At least that's what motor trend stated. I'm mostly curious about what kind of performance increases will be had. The increase in gas mileage seems pretty minimal if that's the main goal. I read 23-24 mpg

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe you can get it in every trim level including the xl. At least that's what motor trend stated. I'm mostly curious about what kind of performance increases will be had. The increase in gas mileage seems pretty minimal if that's the main goal. I read 23-24 mpg
Now that you say that, I remember this as well, however, I think it has to be a crew cab so they have somewhere to put the battery.

GM had the Tahoe hybrid and that didnt really improve MPG's at all. I think it maybe got 1 mpg better than the regular 5.3L

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
See I’m not sure how I feel about the “Powerboost”... It’s a great concept but I think we’re still too early for it....

I think I would still stick with the ecoboost and maybe wait a few years on the “Powerboost”.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am just glad the HDPP still exists. I was nervous.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like there will be upgraded brakes for the Max-tow trucks. I also noticed that the Supercrew 6.5' bed trucks and Supercab 8' bed trucks get a 100 lb GVWR bump over 2020 to 7150.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If Ford didn't take a leap of faith and put a turbo V6 into a fullsize American pickup.....

My "it doesn't sound good" truck has made every rider put a look of disbelief on their face. I will hold off my judgement on the what the 2021 is and does until I drive it. I might have a look of disbelief again myself.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Now the HDPP can SHINE!

Baby 250 haha.

If Ford didn't take a leap of faith and put a turbo V6 into a fullsize American pickup.....

My "it doesn't sound good" truck has made every rider put a look of disbelief on their face. I will hold off my judgement on the what the 2021 is and does until I drive it. I might have a look of disbelief again myself.
I have a friend who's a self-proclaimed "car guy" and just "doesn't like trucks". Likes sports cars. He and his wife have to borrow my truck occasionally because...they don't have a truck. Lol

Every time he does he marvels over how much fun it is to drive when he returns it. Mind you mine is a 2.7. He also exclaimed about how well it accelerated with my 7000lb camper when we took a trip together.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
They are good looking, and I dig the GREEN too, but what's up with the 5.5 bed? HDPP frame has been the longer/stronger frame previously.

Edit: could just be the perspective of that picture, I guess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts