F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem to some as a no brainier but, I like to be sure. I was reading the warranty about the power train on the new 2013 F150 EcoBoost and it specifically states that aftermarket air intake and or exhaust can void this warranty if found to be the cause of a problem. Knowing how the big corporations work, everything will be blamed on aftermarket parts if at all possible. I have always put a K&N filter in my new vehicles and normally changed the exhaust for something more free flowing. I was planning on the AirRaid Dry Cold Intake and the Heartthrob 4inch exhaust until I read this line in the warranty for the 5 Year / 50,000 mile PowerTrain portion. What are your thoughts? The ECO does a fine job putting down some serious HP and TQ for a small displacement engine but we all want a little more if we can right? I do not want to destroy my new ECO or the warranty, as it only has 400 miles on it as of today 7/1/13

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think to each there own; Some Dealerships say they will and some say they won't void the warranty... I have been lucky in the past as I have had the dealership install most of my aftermarket parts and when there was a issue that was covered under warranty they took care of me. Now others have not had such luck and were told up front no matter what there warranty would be voided if any aftermarket parts were found installed on there ECOs... I do find it odd/interesting that Ford Parts makes after market kits for the EcoBeast and will sell them right from the dealership such as CAI... I think it is personal and dealer dependant... I for one never mind more power to anything :)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Actually it is illegal for them to void or not honor the warranty on any repair where the aftermarket part in question was not the blame. If the aftermarket part in question is the cause of the need of repair then they have the right to deny. They cannot completely void a warranty because of an aftermarket part. Should you have an issue where you've had a claim denied because you have an aftermarket intake that does not excuse the manufacturer from having to honor claims due to faulty cruise control components. Even it they deny a claim they can't completely void the warranty. They can only deny claims that occur because of the aftermarket parts. The burden of proof is on you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Actually it is illegal for them to void or not honor the warranty on any repair where the aftermarket part in question was not the blame. If the aftermarket part in question is the cause of the need of repair then they have the right to deny. They cannot completely void a warranty because of an aftermarket part. Should you have an issue where you've had a claim denied because you have an aftermarket intake that does not excuse the manufacturer from having to honor claims due to faulty cruise control components. Even it they deny a claim they can't completely void the warranty. They can only deny claims that occur because of the aftermarket parts. The burden of proof is on you.
really

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely understand the specifics of the act you referenced from 1975. Thanks for the input so far. For the record. I have owned a 1995 Ford Ranger, 1996 F150 XL 5.0, 1998 F150 XLT 4.2, 2004 F150 XLT SCREW 4.6, 2011 F150 3.7 SCAB, and now my new 2013 XLT 3.5 ECO SCREW. The only one where the warranty specifically States anything about aftermarket intake and exhaust is the new one. That I can remember anyway. Based on input, I think I will check with my local Stealer and see if they would warranty if they install. Probably the smartest and safes bet, just in case. And yes, we all love more power on everything, Had similar questions about my Harley's until i finally said oh well. Never had a Problem so it was a mute issue. I am just new to the ECOBEAST Engine, after all, this is only the 3rd year in the F Series.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Having read this act, before seeing this thread, and talking to the service department of my dealer it shouldn't be a problem to do aftermarket upgrades so long as they can prove that it was what caused the damage or fault to the truck. But the responsibility to figure that out is the dealer, not the consumer. A lot of people do not know this. Make sure that you keep all of your original parts and work with your dealer. A lot of times they will do all that they can to help you so as to keep your business. I know that my dealer will use the original parts if needed to help you get the warranty work.

·
Registered
519 Posts
There's a tremendous amount of gray area here in between that the MMWA states and what the dealer will actually do. Most dealers that combat or blame an aftermarket component will simply decline to work on the vehicle under warranty. Now unless one is willing to take the dealer and Ford to court and sue them for breach of product warranty, might want to find another dealer that is at least willing to work with you and for you. Its usually less costly and gets work performed in a shorter period of time.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You could probably even have the dealer install the new part and then it could be warrantied through the dealership that did the work or they can vouch that it was not the part that caused the damage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could probably even have the dealer install the new part and then it could be warrantied through the dealership that did the work or they can vouch that it was not the part that caused the damage.
Exactly what I am thinking after reading all of this. Thanks all for the great input.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So, after listening to all of you, I decided to go by my local Ford Stealer today. I asked the question about warranty an aftermarket Intake and Exhaust. Speaking to a couple of mechanics and the maintenance manager, it was advised that changing the exhaust using a Cat Back system would not be a problem but the mechanic said that if there was a problem withe the turbo and it had aftermarket intake installed then he would raise the question of weather that caused the problem or not. This is exactly what I want to avoid because then it just takes longer because the question has to be settled first. I have never read anything about aftermarket intake or exhaust in previous any year models warranty. Is this a first? One of the employees said he was wondering the same thing because he wanted to put a tuner and all the other stuff on his ECO. It appears that I am the only person who has come by the dealership and asked this question. I think I need to just be happy with what I have and wait for mild modifications. The Certified Ford Mechanics don't really have an answer so they err on the side of caution, at least not my local dealer but, it is also NOT where I purchased my new one. Maybe that is the key, ask the question from the dealership you buy it from. Hmmm...

·
Registered
138 Posts
So, after listening to all of you, I decided to go by my local Ford Stealer today. I asked the question about warranty an aftermarket Intake and Exhaust. Speaking to a couple of mechanics and the maintenance manager, it was advised that changing the exhaust using a Cat Back system would not be a problem but the mechanic said that if there was a problem withe the turbo and it had aftermarket intake installed then he would raise the question of weather that caused the problem or not. This is exactly what I want to avoid because then it just takes longer because the question has to be settled first. I have never read anything about aftermarket intake or exhaust in previous any year models warranty. Is this a first? One of the employees said he was wondering the same thing because he wanted to put a tuner and all the other stuff on his ECO. It appears that I am the only person who has come by the dealership and asked this question. I think I need to just be happy with what I have and wait for mild modifications. The Certified Ford Mechanics don't really have an answer so they err on the side of caution, at least not my local dealer but, it is also NOT where I purchased my new one. Maybe that is the key, ask the question from the dealership you buy it from. Hmmm...
Here's what the sales, service and parts guys I know said. While under warranty buy bolt on that can be taken off and replaced with the stock if in the event you need to take it in. Now with a tuner your on your own..... If something messes up and you can not complete a full drive cycle the dealer will see the tune and your warranty could be voided. So my suggestion is intake and exhaust for now since these do not require a retune from what ive been told buy people here and the mechanics i know. Keep all the stock parts and have fun!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I haven't changed air intakes or even filters (K&N) for several vehicles. They either made no difference or in the Ram's case made performance a little worse. With the oiled filters you have to be careful of too much oil. It will hit the MAF sensor and eventually cause fault codes from the residue building up on the sensor. If a tech sees the stock airbox on yet there is the residue on the inside of the intake pipe, well I guess it would depend on if you left that unattended 6-pack on the passenger seat or not. According to my service manager, if you put an aftermarket exhaust on it won't be covered by any of Ford's warranty even if the dealer does the install. Just the aftermarket part, if anything before the aftermarket pipe goes bad that is covered. I don't remember if it is time or mileage for the stock tune to be registered. I am waiting till my 6 years are up to tune mine, I may have 50k on it by then or as my vehicle history shows I may not even have it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't changed air intakes or even filters (K&N) for several vehicles. They either made no difference or in the Ram's case made performance a little worse. With the oiled filters you have to be careful of too much oil. It will hit the MAF sensor and eventually cause fault codes from the residue building up on the sensor. If a tech sees the stock airbox on yet there is the residue on the inside of the intake pipe, well I guess it would depend on if you left that unattended 6-pack on the passenger seat or not. According to my service manager, if you put an aftermarket exhaust on it won't be covered by any of Ford's warranty even if the dealer does the install. Just the aftermarket part, if anything before the aftermarket pipe goes bad that is covered. I don't remember if it is time or mileage for the stock tune to be registered. I am waiting till my 6 years are up to tune mine, I may have 50k on it by then or as my vehicle history shows I may not even have it.
Agreed, the part itself should not be covered but my concern is with the rest of the vehicle. CAT Back exhaust is a bolt on and does not change much. The service manager at my local dealer was not so concerned about exhaust but seemed very concerned and gave a definite "no" to a " cold air intake". As far as K&N, I too have used the drop in replacements and no seen much difference. Based on my purchase history I will probably get a new one before then also, lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is probably a stretch but if push came to shove I could see this scenario happening. You change the exhaust, we know that there is an increase in HP and torque. You break a universal joint in the drive shaft. Ford denies the claim based on the increased hp/tq caused by the exhaust. Theoretically they could be found to be right, the truck was designed as it is and you modified it. Realistically it probably wouldn't happen, but...
A programmer or CAI, I can absolutely see them denying claims on many parts. My brother is the service manager at the Ford dealer and I don't want to put him in a questionable position so I'm leaving mine alone except for an exhaust till the warranty is over. I'll see him this weekend and ask his thoughts on these pieces.

·
Registered
35 Posts
End of day it's gonna be up to the dealer....when getting my first free oil change at the dealer I ask this warranty question. I was told by the service writer that state approved (emissions) intake and CAT backs would not impact warranty. I ask about a tuner and got another answer.....a tuner would most likely impact warranty. He told me that if I did a tuner I should save the factory tune and if I had to take it to the dealer put it back to stock tune. He also said drive it at least 300 miles with the stock tune before bringing it in...........that's all well and good provided the the truck is drivable..........I'm not going to take the chance until I get some more miles on it...............John

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2013 F150 with the eccoboost and I had the same question, so went to my local ford dealer and asked. His comment was no unless the problem can be traced to the cold air intake. He then asked me which one I was considering and I told him the Banks cold air intake and he said that would not be a problem because they were a Banks authorized dealer and Ford is in parter ship with them. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2013 F150 with the eccoboost and I had the same question, so went to my local ford dealer and asked. His comment was no unless the problem can be traced to the cold air intake. He then asked me which one I was considering and I told him the Banks cold air intake and he said that would not be a problem because they were a Banks authorized dealer and Ford is in parter ship with them. So I am going to have them install the cold air intake. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The dealer can say what they want to. But if a Ford rep is called in then all bets are off.
The most important thing to remember is that as mentioned, the burden of proof is on you!!!
That means you have to pay whatever it cost's to prove that it was not your fault that something failed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
outlaw25
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing