F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has stuttered 3 to 4 times while accelerating, just slightly. Any info on this still runs great but just want to know if anyone has experienced this? About to add some modifications do not want to void warranty. One of the tech said it was an issue with the inter cooler. If so I may just buy and aftermarket one.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I experience the problem a couple of time right after I pickup up my truck. A while later someone here on the forum mentioned that a Ford tech and told him if he were to drive the throttle more aggressively maybe once a week this would suck past any built up moisture accumulated in the intercooler is such a small amount that it would not effect the running of the motor or fault the sensors.

While I have yet to floor my Eco, I do make it a habit to at least once a week get on the throttle a little harder and haven't experienced the problem again.

If you live in a high humidity area and your truck sat on a dealers lot for any amount of time it may have accumulated just enough moisture in the IC to have created the problem.....so go suck it thru and blow it out. Then keep enjoying your truck.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Has stuttered 3 to 4 times while accelerating, just slightly. Any info on this still runs great but just want to know if anyone has experienced this? About to add some modifications do not want to void warranty. One of the tech said it was an issue with the inter cooler. If so I may just buy and aftermarket one.
Where bout in Texas are you?

·
Registered
169 Posts
How were you driving it when it happened? Were you accelerating to pass a car, running it hard or just driving along and eased on the gas to speed up a little? It seems that the intercooler issues come up when hard accelerating and a downshift. I think jonrnen is thinking the same as me, it was the transmission searching for a gear. I noticed this in normal driving or just enough pressure on the pedal to keep moving, it is like the transmission is trying to decide on staying in the gear it is in or downshift. The shudder is the hesitation of indecision.

I can safely say that I believe that the new transmissions and electronics for them were designed by my wife, full of indecision on what to do until it comes time to go shopping then zoom, no issues. And no, she doesn't read the forums, hence the reason I can say that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks It happened when I was accelerating normally at a light, the other times was when I put it from drive to reverse and back into drive while trying to park it stuttered a little bit. I live in Houston humid ass hell. As for the tranny I did stomp on it yesterday and it seemed to shift late into gear. I don't know I just hope it doesn't turn into a serious issue only 800 miles.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The transmission is a learning transmission, meaning that it kind of programs itself to match the driving style of the owner. As for the backing up shudder/shake that is not all that uncommon on many newer vehicles, my 2011 Jeep Liberty had it also. So if you stomped on the truck with only 800 miles on it, it would make sense for the transmission to shift later allowing for the RPMs to raise to an optimum shift point.

First time mine give me the forward shutter was when pulling out of the post office onto a side road and I thought "OH CRAP" my truck has the dreaded shutter problem. I had maybe 200 miles on my truck at the time. My truck was built around 09-2012 so it had sat on the dealers lot for a long time and never driven as it had 5 miles on it when I jumped in the seat for the test drive.

I would goose it once a week, and that doesn't mean you have to floor it, just do a few aggressive acceleration starts or highway passing kicks in the pants to keep moisture out of the IC.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks man I really appreciate the advice, do you think ford will void warranty with an aftermarket inter cooler?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think that they would use that to their advantage in any claim denials possible. Not to mention a few aftermarket intercool will set you back around a $1,000. I would deal with what you have, use the new found information and knowledge you have gained and give Ford time to correct their design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts