F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I dumped my silverado z71 crew, nicely modded n picked up a leftover 13' ecoboost FX4 Screw. 3.55 rears. I been reading forums for a week and am at mental overload. Im gonna do a cai n tune, maybe MPT. I need a E-rated tire because of work. I want toyo a/t2's, had bfg a/t's. They're great, not so much in any mud n i want some better rolling resistance. So it seems a 275/65/20 is most common with ppl crying abt mpg. Also noticed alot of guys have the 3.73 gears. Im wondering if the 285/55/20 will b better for not keeping the truck in boost, but its 2lbs heavier than the 34's, so i have the UNSPRUNG weight issue. Any tuned guys with 3.55's that can chime in? I know i gotta pay(mpg) to play, but i drive alot of highway n can rack up 25k mile/yr too.....

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'm tuned with 3.55 gears...

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
My next A/T will likely be the Nitto Terra Grappler.

The toyo's are nice but very pricey from what I've seen.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I hated the terra grapplers on my Silverado.
Noisy, and no wet traction.

That was three years ago, maybe they are better now...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new truck!

2013 FX4 Ecoboost, Sterling Gray, 3.55 gears, Rhino Liner, Bed Extender, stock everything else....for now....

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You might look into Firestone Transforce A/T tires.
They are not aggressive looking but they are the best tires I have ever run on my F-350 diesel plow truck.
Dry snow, wet snow these things are great. They only come in a load range E
They are not as aggressive looking but then again I had Toyo M/T tires before this set and they didn't hold a candle to what these tires do.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
You might look into Firestone Transforce A/T tires.
They are not aggressive looking but they are the best tires I have ever run on my F-350 diesel plow truck.
Dry snow, wet snow these things are great. They only come in a load range E
They are not as aggressive looking but then again I had Toyo M/T tires before this set and they didn't hold a candle to what these tires do.
I had several sets of what used to be called Firestone Destination A/T's. They weren't aggressive at all, but look pretty decent, great wet traction and LOTS of miles out of 'em!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im about to flip a coin between the 275/65 and 285/55. The 285 is 2 lbs heavier and the 275 will drop the rpms 1-200 in 5/6th gears. Hopefully the tune will give me back 1 mpg lol

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I'm going with 285 Terras or AT2s. These 33x12.5 are heavy and I just don't need a MT....oh and the noise from these Federals pisses me off everyday

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Awww no man....are you seriously serious?

The shop I bought 'em from buys/sells take-offs all the time, so they made get taken off and traded if that happens.
I'll never but another set.
The noise was livable...the lack of wet traction, not so much.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I personally won't consider nittos. I know lots of guys love them and do well with them, but when I work pipeline n see the wear on them, I just cant do it. I know ppl say the compounds were changed n changed again, it happens in tires. But I've seen plenty of 35"'s+ on heavy diesels or diesel welder's trucks have better wear in toyo, duratrac s, cooper st/stt, even Kelly safaris atr n Fierce M/t(which i think cooper owns them anyway). I had the bfg's loved em. Gotta stay rotating, up on pressure n the normal stuff. Great in snow, wet, heavy rain at 70-80mph, not in mud what so ever tho. I just choose to try the at2's for now. Thinking the tread pattern n contact patch will be better than my old bfg at ko on the street....

·
Registered
860 Posts
Have you considered the Copper Discoverer AT3? The tread is mildly aggressive, no road noise, and priced really well. I run BFG KO's, but my father-in-law just picked a set of these up for his Tundra (yeah, he's going Ford when the 2015s come out) and has been very happy with them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Either option is going to drop your MPGs. if the tire is taller or wider, your going to boost more. an increase in unsprung weight, your gonna boost more. if you're boosting more, your burning more fuel. no way around it.

I went from 23MPG to 18MPG highway when I dropped the Stock Pirelli for Toyo MTs 295/55/20. and thats going from a 48lbs tire to a ~ 73lbs E-Rated tire. plus a SCT tune, plus a 4"Catback, Plus a CAI. now that doesn't bother me because i don't DD my truck, but something to think about for those who do.

I've had the AT/2 Extreme on my old truck and those tires were the toughest I've seen. I beat the h3ll out of those things for 10k miles of trails and 5k miles of street, and they refused to die. curbs, glass, rock gardens, jumps, never had a flat or loss of pressure . 305/55/20s at that, and they still looked like new when i traded my truck in. I also liked there road manners more so that the BFGs KOs or goodyears Dtracs I've had previously.

/2cents

Reactions: VolForLife

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'll never but another set.
The noise was livable...the lack of wet traction, not so much.
You are talking about Terra Graplers and not Trail Graplers right? I had Terra's on Titan for almost 50k miles and they were fantastic all around tires. I don't think they were loud at all compared to other tires with the same style and capability. They were great for mild off road work, snow, no problems in rain at all (and that truck had terrible brakes so flawed tires stood out even more). My only complaint with them was their weight; they were heavy as hell. After I took them off (I got bigger rims), I ended up still getting $400 for them from someone that got another 10-15k miles out of them. That's a lot of miles on an A/T.
I don't understand all the hatred for Nitto Terra's around here, I had the exact opposite experience with mine.

Reactions: VolForLife

·
Registered
750 Posts
I will be going with the 33" Cooper Discoverer St Maxx I hope they run as good as they look. But anything is better then these factory tires.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I will be going with the 33" Cooper Discoverer St Maxx I hope they run as good as they look. But anything is better then these factory tires.
My 2WD XLT came with 18" factory chrome wheels and Michelin minivan tires....was the first thing I ejected from my truck! :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts