F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I am new to the forum with lots of questions, so go easy. I have been stalking as a guest for about 6 weeks. I recently sold my 2011 Lariat screw EB w/5-1/2' bed to my son and picked up a 2015 Platinum screw EB w/6-1/2' bed, needed the extra bed space. This is my everyday driver, but also tows and goes off road occasionally, not Baja, just hunting and fishing. Anyway, I want to lift it. Four and six inch lifts are out of the question even though I know there are some good kits like BDS out there. I do not want to cut up my front end, completely kill my mileage and I tow a good bit. I really like the look of dubsesd's truck. I p.m.'d him, but haven't gotten a response yet. I have poured through the forums and manufacturers websites. Even called F150 lifts, Stage 3 and Icon talking to their techs. I am getting different answers depending on where I go. Anyway, here are my thoughts. Can anyone verify this will work?

I am going with coilovers, but am torn between the Icon 0-2.5" adjustables or the F150 Boss 0-3" adjustables. Can I get enough lift out of the Icons to clear 285/65R20 BFG KOs or Nitto G2's on stock wheels (same as dubsesd's)? The Icons are more money, but according to Stage 3 are a more durable coilover offroad while still maintaining a great highway ride. Only problem may be they only have 2-1/2" of lift. I think dubsesd went 2-3/4" with the F150 Boss coillovers using the same tire/wheel combo. I also want some rebound. I am going to install Icon UCAs to prevent binding issues (or another reputable brand if I can be convinced). I don't want ANY rubbing at full lock, bouncing around off road or going up or down hill. Thoughts and experiences?

Do you need to use wheel spacers (hub-centric of course) for clearance to eliminate rubbing? Are they required? I know as you lift, the tires pull in a bit in the front, so folks tend to want to use spacers for aesthetics. Some of the posts said folks with 2+ inches of lift and that tire/wheel combo experienced no rubbing until they put wheel spacers on. Dubsesd used 1-1/2" spacers in his build. The spacers pushed the tires out further changing the pivot point, then causing a rub with some in the forums. They rubbed on the front crash bar. I am also concerned about breaking studs while towing off road using spacers. Thoughts and experiences? If you put spacers on in the front, do you need them in the back as well? Same size front and rear or different? If they are required to prevent rub, what size and brand?

Thinking of replacing stock blocks with Readylift 3" blocks (again, going off dubsesd's build) in the rear with either Icon or Fox 2.0 shocks. I tow about 6000 lbs. several times a year through the mountains and offroad. I want some rake to accommodate the trailer. Again, going off dubsesd's build. Thoughts?

I will need speedo calibration. If I bought a tuner to do this, which one, why do you like it? Which brand gives the most benefits with mileage, h.p. and torque, especially towing? I value your feedback.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If you want a 2.5" shock body, and up to 3" of lift, you could go with the King shocks! The Boss coilovers are only a 2.0" body. And you could easily for a 35x12.50 with decently offset rims

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I love my stock wheels and am looking for a little narrower tire for both gas mileage, power and clearance. The 285/65R20 is the actually a smidge taller than most 35X12.50s and I don't have to worry about tire pinch on stock rims which can cause a problem towing. Again, my daily driver and tow vehicle. I looked into the Kings. They are more for the hard core off-roader and PRICEY! From what I am hearing, the Icons give the best combo on and off road ride, and yes, they too are PRICEY! Just not sure if they will give me enough lift for clearance.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Thanks, but I love my stock wheels and am looking for a little narrower tire for both gas mileage, power and clearance. The 285/65R20 is the actually a smidge taller than most 35X12.50s and I don't have to worry about tire pinch on stock rims which can cause a problem towing. Again, my daily driver and tow vehicle. I looked into the Kings. They are more for the hard core off-roader and PRICEY! From what I am hearing, the Icons give the best combo on and off road ride, and yes, they too are PRICEY! Just not sure if they will give me enough lift for clearance.
Then it looks like the boss coilover is the best option! They're very reasonably priced and look sick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks FordFan4Life. Seems like a lot of folks are running the F150 lifts. You are running a slightly shorter/narrower tire than I am looking for and on a 20mm offset rim instead of a 44mm offset. Evendors with that, did you have any rub at any time. What height are your coilovers set at? How much did you take it up in the back and are you running wheel spacers?

·
Registered
442 Posts
My truck is mostly a street queen but sees use somewhat regularly at the deer lease. The BOSS coils ride well both on and off the pavement. I would recommend them to anyone looking for an all around performing option.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks for the reply. What are your tire and wheel sizes?
Me? stock 2013 Platinum setup with the 275/55/20 Bridgestone Alenza's. Will be replacing them with 275/65/20 BFG KO2s within the year.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks FordFan4Life. Seems like a lot of folks are running the F150 lifts. You are running a slightly shorter/narrower tire than I am looking for and on a 20mm offset rim instead of a 44mm offset. Evendors with that, did you have any rub at any time. What height are your coilovers set at? How much did you take it up in the back and are you running wheel spacers?
No wheels spacers and no rub or knock on coils. They are set at 2.5" front the rear blocks are 3.5" I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a sweet ride! I talked to Alex over at f150 lifts yestersday. He thinks either the Icon stage 1 or f150 lifts boss wI'll work for my 2015 with 285/65R20s on stock platinum wheels. And Alex say they will be carrying a tapered 3" billet rear block in a couple of weeks. That guy is a wealth of information. He even tried to help get me in touch with dubsesd to discuss his build. Can't say enough about the guys at f150 lifts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts