F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excited to be in the EcoBoost group. Live in Utah but bought my truck from Alberta. Guy before me added CAI and catback exhaust which I was pumped about.

I have put about 3k miles on since purchase (68000 currently). Noticed when I get in the throttle I get the shudder. Been reading up on it between this forum and a handful of others that it may be a CAC issue with some oil/water buildup in the Intercooler? Noticed the common solution is to drill out a weep hole. Probably going to do this as I can’t seem to find many substantiated reasons not to. My only concern is that I live in a typically arid environment and this seems to be a popular mod for more humid climates. Anyone have opinions on this?

Also, I have been seeing a lot of buzz about the oil separators or catch cans. Looking into them further has led me to look at the JLT separator. Anyone have any experience with this product?

I really appreciate the help. The turbo game is new to me and I’m not trying to hide the fact that I’m pretty naive to the ins and outs of this truck.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Personally, I would change out the plugs before I drilled a hole. You could also inspect inside the CAC before you drill a hole. I never had liquid in mine, and I live in similar terrain, as you. But, who knows what the previous owner put the truck through. I would also check for codes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The moisture in the CAC problem is likely different than what you are experiencing. I had it happen twice with my 13 before I trilled the hole. Once was flooring it to pass a semi on #1 just about to cross into Saskatchewan from Manitoba after cruising for over an hour in fog. Engine loses all power and you get a check engine light. Good idea to drill the hole regardless. But get on the plugs too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
OP,
I have a 13' Screw, I live in CO... Pretty dry here too. I drilled the hole in the CAC and got just oil out. Not much really... Maybe a table spoon total... But that was the first / only drain since new (5 years). I put a small screw in it after it drained, and now I only "drain" the CAC every oil change. I get maybe a half teaspoon of oil out every 6 months or so.

I bought a Monster RX Catch can. Worth every penny. It's absolutely amazing how much moisture and oil it catches. I drain mine every tank of gas an about 12-16 ounces of fluid comes out. That fluid would ordinarily be mixed in the oil and / or going through the intake. I bought my truck used with 41k on it... Wish the catch can would have been on there since day 1.

These trucks are hard on spark plugs... You need new ones every 15-20k miles... So if your truck has never had plugs it's way overdue.

I recommend drilling the hole and buying a catch can.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
welcome fellow booster!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I've done none of those things with my 13 F150.. :)

Just about to cross the 71,000 mile mark soon and owned since brand new (56 miles).

I've done some suspension mods to it, but nothing to write home about.. Just some new shocks, brake rotors/pads and some Hellwig overload springs for the rear end..

All working for me, but I know that other's have had success with the mods you mention and then some, so in the end, just do what works for you and you'll likely be happy with it! :)

Good luck!

Mitch

Reactions: EcoXLT

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I too have not done anything to my 2013 truck. Coming up on 49,000 miles. But of course if you are having issues then it’s time to do something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts