F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
So guys, I was digging more around the internet preparing for the turbo install, found something interesting and pulled the trigger.

These are Ford stainless steel manifold studs, Part W703902-S403. They come up as part numbers for a 5.4 3v I believe and were used on these engines under warranty. Apparently those engines studs would crumble like paper. Ford parts list these at the same thread pitch as our stock ones. On top of all that, I found someone (theyre on this forum) that had already installed these on his Eco. SO it should work and I ordered them!

They look almost copper, but I think that is a antisieze like coating. I tested them on a strong magnet, no pick up. The stock ones shot right to it.

Why use these? Better material, will handle heat cycling better and in 100k miles they should pop right out right out without any issue. Although i spoke with three members and they had no problem removing our stock ones, provided they're not at 100k. As some of you may know, the stock back cylinders (5 and 6) with the two studs only, have potential problems breaking with high miles and thats when people hear the cricket (exhaust leak) on cold driving. That bolt is behind the turbo and tucked behind the manifold, subject to a lot of heat. Hopefully these would last better to that heat too.

bolt manifold.jpg

difference.jpg

nut.jpg

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
So guys, I was digging more around the internet preparing for the turbo install, found something interesting and pulled the trigger.

These are Ford stainless steel manifold studs, Part W703902-S403. They come up as part numbers for a 5.4 3v I believe and were used on these engines under warranty. Apparently those engines studs would crumble like paper. Ford parts list these at the same thread pitch as our stock ones. On top of all that, I found someone (theyre on this forum) that had already installed these on his Eco. SO it should work and I ordered them!

They look almost copper, but I think that is a antisieze like coating. I tested them on a strong magnet, no pick up. The stock ones shot right to it.

Why use these? Better material, will handle heat cycling better and in 100k miles they should pop right out right out without any issue. Although i spoke with three members and they had no problem removing our stock ones, provided they're not at 100k. As some of you may know, the stock back cylinders (5 and 6) with the two studs only, have potential problems breaking with high miles and thats when people hear the cricket (exhaust leak) on cold driving. That bolt is behind the turbo and tucked behind the manifold, subject to a lot of heat. Hopefully these would last better to that heat too.

View attachment 159620

View attachment 159622

View attachment 159624
Very interesting !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
When I pulled apart my old international 345 they used these copper plated studs/ bolts on the exhaust manifolds and the 8 capacrews close to the exhaust crossover in the manifolds. So it's not new technology.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
When I pulled apart my old international 345 they used these copper plated studs/ bolts on the exhaust manifolds and the 8 capacrews close to the exhaust crossover in the manifolds. So it's not new technology.
Ya, but auto manufacturers will save money where ever possible. These studs are only a dollar more then the iron ones online. Even though they know their studs have been a problem in the past, they still don't put them in newer.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Ya, but auto manufacturers will save money where ever possible. These studs are only a dollar more then the iron ones online. Even though they know their studs have been a problem in the past, they still don't put them in newer.
Yep.
They'll warranty a longblock with busted piston skirts and on the next revision of the same motor they'll STILL budget $3.50 for a piston. (3,000,000 piston order economy of scale) I can't prove it, but at that scale a forged piston CAN'T cost that much.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am pulling parts together for a GT install as well. Turbos and SPD adapters get here next week, so by the time I have all the small parts I should be looking at end of September as well.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Full disclosure, I am paying my friend for the shop usage and paying an additional Ford tech(he knows?) for the work so we can hopefully get it done in 4 hrs or so (hopefully!) Tag team each side, lol don't modify daily drivers......

They wanted to pull the cab but I said no. There is enough room. My buddy is really freaking out that studs are going to break and I will have to leave it, so they want to pull the cab. Only studs I see broken are the back one behind the turbo and if it is not broken going in (it is not) it should not break taking it out. That being said I am buying a extractor kit on amazon before going and returning after, unless we need it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. I am not removing or replacing my manifolds, and I have had my downpipes off a few times in the past year so I am not super worried about breaking bolts. I am planning on replacing all the vaccum lines at the same time so I am blocking out a day, possibly including a long night if necessary, to get it done. After the turbos I need to address the rust.

201 - 213 of 213 Posts
About this Discussion
212 Replies
28 Participants
R0bCincy
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing