F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

241 - 260 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
I have fluid filmed pretty much every inch of the underside of this truck, including in the frame and rocker panels (i have only dont this once), to prevent rust long term. However, I have never done behind the fender flares, which are one of the most prone areas for rust due to moisture being trapped , road salt, dirt etc.

Since it is now 5 years old, I decided I really need to take action. I considered pulling them off and buying all new clips from Ford, but before doing that I tested some methods. I found this piece from Lowes works perfectly. Lube it up and start from the end, gently keep sliding it up around the flare, while spraying fluid film with the straw into the gap.

Think I used to much on this first flare, dripping out the bottom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
reminds me of the first time I did my oil. It shot out like a fire hose, got all over me, filled the oil catch pan with reservoir tank too fast for it to drain and flooded over the top.... was definitely a "wtf, I was not ready for that" experience lol.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
I honestly haven't seen any of this generation of ford's with bad wheel arches. However there is a local old farmer here with an 09/10 platinum and it has no rockers left at all and no cab corners to speak of (crew cab). Don't think he has ever washed it.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
I honestly haven't seen any of this generation of ford's with bad wheel arches. However there is a local old farmer here with an 09/10 platinum and it has no rockers left at all and no cab corners to speak of (crew cab). Don't think he has ever washed it.
Have you seen any with the fender flares off though? I haven't.

Ya, seems to be a lot of trucks with the cabs out.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Have you seen any with the fender flares off though? I haven't.

Ya, seems to be a lot of trucks with the cabs out.
I have not and I'm kinda worried too because I drilled my own holes to mount the OEM flares.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
I have not and I'm kinda worried too because I drilled my own holes to mount the OEM flares.
Ya, that is much more of a concern if the bare metal was not treated/covered. See if you can put your head in the fenders and spray the holes directly and then use my method to spray down in there. I should have go pretty good coverage.

·
Registered
253 Posts
WooBoost, how is the data logging coming? looking forward to some good news from you to help motivate me to get mine installed.

Right now I have a 3/4 completed 64 chevelle ss convertible sitting in my way. I need to move a bunch of junk so I can slide the chevelle into "long term" storage.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Right now I have a 3/4 completed 64 chevelle ss convertible sitting in my way. I need to move a bunch of junk so I can slide the chevelle into "long term" storage.
o_O Park the truck into "long term" storage and finish the Chevelle.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
I am actually surprised the turbos make as much of a difference as they do. You can really feel the difference, although the tune is important as well to utilized them. It is not fast fast, but it is quick. Logs are doing fine, making fine adjustments now. Backed timing down slightly recently.

·
Administrator
9,776 Posts
I am actually surprised the turbos make as much of a difference as they do. You can really feel the difference, although the tune is important as well to utilized them. It is not fast fast, but it is quick. Logs are doing fine, making fine adjustments now. Backed timing down slightly recently.
Worth the $$$ it sounds like??

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
I would it is worth it provided you can get a proper tune (as others have come and gone with bad tunes)

I have seen other tunes around the internet where it is just following similar to stock logic, meaning the boost hits hard low rpm, the tq shoots way up then drops like a rock. I imagine the truck would still be faster than stock turbos in this scenario but would be disappointing with that type of tuning.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
I spent some hours Saturday replacing all the broken clips under the cowl. Unfortunately, i wasn't able to fit the passenger side alignment piece, so i covered the hole with RTV. I didnt know these were a thing and the window guy broke mine. It fell into the fender well. So now my passenger side cowl corner is not held down due to the push pin not having anything to grip onto. I am trying to hold it down with double sided tape. Onlyway to fix would be pull window.

Also when I did the turbo install, I noticed oil on the bottom of pan/bell housing. I cleaned it really well and it is back, so I am thinking I have a rear main seal leak. FIrst official problem on the ole ecoboost. Going to have to pull the trans and replace. :confused:

This is the "alignment" tab that goes at each corner of the windshield. It is for the windshield to line up how far down it goes. These clips, clip into a whole into the cab and have a 1/4" thick foam o ring that is smashed down when clipped in the hole...my guess is to prevent water getting in there. Then that square piece the top push pin (you see from outside the truck) pushed into to hold the corner of the cowl down.

Pass hole covered

Oil drip, you can see the back of the pan has oil on it but the front does not.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
O, here is a pic inside the cowl pointing towards the driver side. It appears this flap/hole goes down into the fender. SO I guess that is where water drains to?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
I thought the leak might be coming from the fumoto valve because there is oil residue on the valve too. I use the little paper like o ring that came with the valve behind it when I install it into the pan. Last oil change, I replaced with a new one and this still happens. Is everyone using that o ring thing or should I try to put the valve into the pan with no o ring...maybe that is causing the leak? @milesej05

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I use the rubber washer and a regular plug. My rear main is leaking just like yours. It's a super slow leak. Only a few drips from what I can tell. It's never moved on the dipstick so I'm not sure if I'll address it or have the dealer do it. Taking out the transmission with the engine in the truck sounds like such a major pain.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
I want to confirm it is the rear main seal, anything else to check?

If So, I will be pulling trans and replacing. Will only take a day.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
I don’t want to make work for you but I’d clean it off, add dye and black light it before I went to all of the work of pulling the trans.
That is a good idea but I have seen the leak on other users on here and @RMB_Ryan says it can be an issue. I don't know where else it would come from. I just can't imagine it leaking from the fumoto valve because I have had that since brand new and never saw a leak before. That being said, I think I will be "upgrading" some parts when I check in there. o_O

241 - 260 of 285 Posts