F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

441 - 460 of 502 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
That blue one is a real hassle to first figure out.

You can bump the starter, but make sure lines are still hooked up or turn engine with crank bolt.

If you let the truck sit an hour, there is barely any fuel that comes out. This time i did it literally after shutting it off, the low side poured some more than first time(just put paper towel under) but the High pressure side....well it is is high pressure, lol. I cracked it and the pressure was puffing out. I was like damn! Kept slowly doing it.

The bolts I just tightened down, no tq wrench. The one thing they say is to tighten actual top two pump bolts 1 turn at a time each side until tight.
The first time, the blue one stumped me. I was at my buddy's warehouse on a holiday weekend ... so I didn't want to risk it without finding the EXACT trick to releasing it. Also, when reinstalling, make sure the blue lock is fully released (it may accidentally get pushed back into the lock position while manhandling that HPFP line ... ask how I know)?

I did leave the lines connected when "bumping" the starter. I had already drained the lines and still had fuse #27 pulled, until I bumped the starter to get the roller at the base circle. When I pull the HPFP line off, it was mostly air with a few drops of fuel.

I learnt the trick (pulling the Fuel Pump Relay fuse) on previous fuel injected vehicles that had external filters in the fuel line. It was the best way to minimize the amount of fuel that poured out when I removed the fuel filter.

I am still using the oem designed returnless system. But @Blown F-150 is slowly convincing me to convert to a return type. Then I could have an external fuel filter plus put an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator for the Low Pressure Side so I could use it that to help the HPFP (still at 35). Just need to add a Schrader Valve and I can use my old Fuel Pressure Gauge. AND ... an Ethanol Sensor as I am now adding E85 to my fuel. (That is what got me into upgrading my fuel system, even though I don't have my GTs/CRP Manifold installed yet.

BTW, have you changed your Injectors? I ask this, because I have heard that the OEM injectors don't like too much pressure. Just curious about your experience.

I will have to spend some time to go through all your posts here. Probably in reverse order so I can see where you are now.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
I am still using the oem designed returnless system. But @Blown F-150 is slowly convincing me to convert to a return type. Then I could have an external fuel filter plus put an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator for the Low Pressure Side so I could use it that to help the HPFP (still at 35). Just need to add a Schrader Valve and I can use my old Fuel Pressure Gauge. AND ... an Ethanol Sensor as I am now adding E85 to my fuel. (That is what got me into upgrading my fuel system, even though I don't have my GTs/CRP Manifold installed yet.

BTW, have you changed your Injectors? I ask this, because I have heard that the OEM injectors don't like too much pressure. Just curious about your experience.

I will have to spend some time to go through all your posts here. Probably in reverse order so I can see where you are now.
I read on some tuning forums, with the stock fuel system/in tank pump, controlling LPFP pressure, wouldnt do anything to help HPFP. It is designed to meet its required fueling. As long as the desired rail pressure of HPFP is meeting commanded, then the LPFP is providing enough fuel. If you go to a return system, then that is differe

Just no on the injectors, Im not messing with those things! Why would more pressure change anything on them?

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
Lol

OK, not touching those injectors.

I think I actually agree with you for the fueling requirements that almost everyone on this forum is operating within. But engineering wise, like everything, they surely have their limits.

They just aren't the weak spot yet.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Yes, yes, do this and be amazed. Sometimes I look back too to remember...and remind myself how much money I spent to go so slow.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I read on some tuning forums, with the stock fuel system/in tank pump, controlling LPFP pressure, wouldnt do anything to help HPFP. It is designed to meet its required fueling. As long as the desired rail pressure of HPFP is meeting commanded, then the LPFP is providing enough fuel. If you go to a return system, then that is differe

Hell no on the injectors, Im not messing with those things! Why would more pressure change anything on them?
Makes me wonder why anyone would change their LPFP then? I recently installed a Walbro 450 with the OEM FPR, and while it did fix a "top end" stumble caused by lack of fuel (I could not run past 5,600 rpm before the stumble would kick in... the LPFP has fixed that); however, the LPFP did nothing for the "dip" at gear changes when the cam rpms drop. Luckily, I had already planned on installing the HPFP as well, I was just curious what the LPFP and HPFP controlled/fixed. And now I know.

The issue I have heard with Injectors, too high a fuel pressure can cause premature failure. I know a few guys back in the old days with Port Injection experienced failure with too high of pressure. But those are also a different injector (typically "High Impedence" that have a max duty cycle). Guys back then would crank up the pressure to keep the injector under 80% duty cycle. But too high, and it could cause the injector to fail. I haven't yet researched our DI Injectors yet (now I am curious), but I would assume they are different than the typical "High Impedance" used in Port Injection.

I do wish I could use my old Config (so I could monitor PW and OAR plus others). This new strategy that got rammed down my throat for "brake recall" won't work with older Configs and you cannot even transfer them. Real painful. But I also lost a lot of great DMRs and PIDs, like Injector Pulse Width and #Air/MIN to monitor air flow.

But I definitely will take the time to read your build. You and @Blown F-150 seem to be taking your trucks to new levels, and it's nice to see the "gotchas", especially when you only have the one vehicle available. Nothing worse than screwing something up, waiting for a part to arrive, and no vehicle to drive in the meantime.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,961 Posts
Saw a guy in a 2019 racing my Son's 2013 leave 2 black marks in 4x4 launch. Yes, the 2019 won lol. Both 100% stock.

Reactions: Andre Evans

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #448

This is the fluid I am getting out of my full race catch can. Yellow tint, does not smell particularly like fuel, not sure how to really explain the smell. No chocolate milk coming out though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
View attachment 169290

This is the fluid I am getting out of my full race catch can. Yellow tint, does not smell particularly like fuel, not sure how to really explain the smell. No chocolate milk coming out though.
My FR catch can contents... it’s a very yellow brown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
My FR catch can contents... it’s a very yellow brown

how many miles did it take you to get that much fluid?

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,961 Posts
Apparently, my Ecobeast Gen 1 loves to ingest that stuff. Nary a hiccup.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
Apparently, my Ecobeast Gen 1 loves to ingest that stuff. Nary a hiccup.
It is still getting onto your intake valves. Top shelf oil helps this, but it still happens. It also hurts combustion.

My set up now is to help with crank pressure, just benefit of oil separator too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
And the weep hole ejects what gets into the CAC

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #454
Put the 60% pump to the test tonight. Mixed fuel for E50 and let it eat. 60% pump is eating it up like it is nothing! 19-20psi and zero drop. I think i will be able to run straight e85. Once im through this tank, I will test pure e85. I don't think anyone has ran straight e85 on stock fuel system with just HPFP upgrade.

ON 93e10, I cap spark at 6 degrees and will still 1 degree bad knock on a few cylinders time to time. On e50 today, I went from 6>8>10>12>14>16 and it is still seeing no knock! on 20 lbs of boost! This is insane! I dont know if 16 degrees is too much, the only way to really know is dyno the vehicle and see when it stops making more power with more timing. Once it stops making power, that is the timing limit. I decided to stop there and let tuner look at it to make final adjustments. I only bumped peak timing for testing. We should be able to add timing throughout the rpm range. IN 2nd gear on no boost, punching it, it would spin the tire when coming into power. Truck finally making some power!

E50- zero drop in fuel pressure

E10

E50

Attachments

·
Registered
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m about to start on swapping the stock HPFP for the XDI-EVO this week. First look at the 2nd Gen setup has me a little worried.

Reactions: WooBoost

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Put the 60% pump to the test tonight. Mixed fuel for E50 and let it eat. 60% pump is eating it up like it is nothing! 19-20psi and zero drop. I think i will be able to run straight e85. Once im through this tank, I will test pure e85. I don't think anyone has ran straight e85 on stock fuel system with just HPFP upgrade.

ON 93e10, I cap spark at 6 degrees and will still 1 degree bad knock on a few cylinders time to time. On e50 today, I went from 6>8>10>12>14>16 and it is still seeing no knock! on 20 lbs of boost! This is insane! I dont know if 16 degrees is too much, the only way to really know is dyno the vehicle and see when it stops making more power with more timing. Once it stops making power, that is the timing limit. I decided to stop there and let tuner look at it to make final adjustments. I only bumped peak timing for testing. We should be able to add timing throughout the rpm range. IN 2nd gear on no boost, punching it, it would spin the tire when coming into power. Truck finally making some power!

E50- zero drop in fuel pressure
View attachment 169393

E10
View attachment 169399
View attachment 169400
View attachment 169401

E50
View attachment 169398
View attachment 169394
View attachment 169395
View attachment 169396
The tune has MBT timing tables that Ford generated through bench testing the motor on high octane fuel. If your tuner has not changed those, then they should kick in to limit timing if you get advanced enough.

Reactions: WooBoost

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
The tune has MBT timing tables that Ford generated through bench testing the motor on high octane fuel. If your tuner has not changed those, then they should kick in to limit timing if you get advanced enough.
You can verify by monitor Spark Source. I think you provided that definitions on another thread.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
You can verify by monitor Spark Source. I think you provided that definitions on another thread.

Correct, ill actually see MBT spark source at low load. Boarderline source during a pull. And if you are stock and on 91 or 93 you will probably see Cylinder pressure limit.

Reactions: Blown F-150
441 - 460 of 502 Posts