F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MSD is introducing a new spark plug designed to work in high performance engines, especially those with high cylinder pressures and/or MSD ignition systems.

Before you go thinking that these are just more smoke and mirror gimmicks with 2, 3, 4, ground straps and unobtainium cores, don't worry. MSD is making no HP or MPG claims on daily driver engines or that they're "better" than Motorcraft, NGK, Autolite, Champion, etc. for the average grocery getter. The plugs are simply a collaboration of existing technology with a recipe designed to not "blow out" in a high cylinder pressure environment. The initial thinking was race cars, hot rods, LS, LT, Coyote, etc. type applications.

They should be on shelves within the next 30 days. The first (limited) production run came in last week. Here's what they look like:

msd_plugs.jpg

I'm not suggesting that everyone run out and replace their SP-534's. HOWEVER....there WILL BE two different heat ranges to fit the 3.5 Ecoboost heads. One is stock, and one step colder. So you "max boost", nitrous, meth, etc., guys may want to take a look. Retail price will be $8.99 each. Each ground strap is precision ground (not cut), and every plug is gapped and tested on an MSD-6 Ignition before going into the box.

Here's a video of how they perform in a high pressure chamber:

This is not a commercial. Just passing along information to fellow gear-heads.

For more info: MSD Spark Plugs! Get'em in your Head!

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
That demo is very telling. As a builder of boosted engines for the past 40 years, high boost and spark blow-out have been, and continue to be one of the biggest challenges we face......this has me exited period. The EcoBoost will be a no brainer for these. Excellent post.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
That's cool but I'll wait for my NGK's to wear out. First MC suck so buy Brisk then Brisk suck. Guess I'm on the NGK wagon now LOL.

But please don't take it the wrong way sir..I just don't have the funds to keep switching and trying new and different items. I think many of us don't especially married with kid types like myself. I spent to much dang money on the Boosted Seal of Approval. :)

Have a great day everyone! ;)

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BlueFlame you're exactly right. Just wanted to share the info.

There will be a few guys here that are upgrading turbos, running nitrous, or max tuning their boost curve that can use these. Also for someone ready to change plugs anyway, it's just one more option. Certainly a stock Ecoboost truck doesn't "need" $9 spark plugs.

That said, there are also guys here that have hot rods, race cars, etc., running MSD ignitions that will want to look at these plugs for those cars.

- Bacon makes everything better

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same. $60 for a set of plugs is not bad.
I'll get the part numbers for the 2 heat ranges tomorrow. The distributors that pre-ordered are supposed to have them on the shelf in 3-4 weeks.

- Bacon makes everything better

1 - 20 of 115 Posts