F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

181 - 200 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Okay nice im thinking of attaching a twist valve and line down and around to secure in front of the radiator to make it really easy Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Jallen, they do have a threaded plug on the bittom. I am not sure of the thread size. Can you post a photo of your setup when you are done? I am thinking about putting my UPR cans in the front also.

Reactions: jallen939

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I just got the 1/4 NPT ball valves in for my UPR catch cans. Nope. Wrong size. Now the question is... do I rethread them to 1/4 NPT, or just get the 1/8 NPT ball valves. About the same cost either way. I imagine the 1/4 NPT will flow better. By the way, for the record they DO work (read a lot of negative comments about the UPR cans AFTER I ordered them). The driver's side can was empty after going through a full tank of gas. The passenger side, however, had ~3 oz of gassy smelling oil in it already. So at least one side is doing it's job. The driver side *might* prove to be a waste of money in theory, but the peace of mind is worth $100 to my mind.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, I just got the 1/4 NPT ball valves in for my UPR catch cans. Nope. Wrong size. Now the question is... do I rethread them to 1/4 NPT, or just get the 1/8 NPT ball valves. About the same cost either way. I imagine the 1/4 NPT will flow better. By the way, for the record they DO work (read a lot of negative comments about the UPR cans AFTER I ordered them). The driver's side can was empty after going through a full tank of gas. The passenger side, however, had ~3 oz of gassy smelling oil in it already. So at least one side is doing it's job. The driver side *might* prove to be a waste of money in theory, but the peace of mind is worth $100 to my mind.
How are yours set up? And what are your plans with the valves? Just curious. I would definitely go RX if it weren't overpriced and mainly because I really dont want to drill holes in my intake. So basically I'm trying to modify the UPR so it is actually convenient...

·
Registered
311 Posts

You wont see much on the drivers side can until you use boost consistently. I get equal amounts on both sides when pulling my boat. Otherwise like you I see more on the passenger side. Haven't pulled my camper yet with the cans but expect to see even more on the drivers side when I do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How are yours set up? And what are your plans with the valves? Just curious. I would definitely go RX if it weren't overpriced and mainly because I really dont want to drill holes in my intake. So basically I'm trying to modify the UPR so it is actually convenient...
I drilled into the fan shroud (plastic - no big deal) to mount the passenger side, and just used an existing bolt on top of the radiator fan housing for the driver's side. I was tempted to run longer hose so I could mount both cans in front of the radiator for easier access to the drain plugs. Decided it didn't look clean, and went back to the stock locations. It's just a pain in the butt to get to the plugs, so I'm replacing them with ball valves so I can hold a cup under them and let it drain out. On a side note, having the twin catch cans makes it a real bear to reach down to the oil filter. I know most people go from the ground up, but I find that reach sucks, too. The engineer who designed the location of the oil filter must have been a rogue GM guy, or just has a sick sense of humor. It's in a really, really bad location. I also installed a Fumoto while I was changing the oil today, so future oil changes will be less of a royal PITA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You wont see much on the drivers side can until you use boost consistently. I get equal amounts on both sides when pulling my boat. Otherwise like you I see more on the passenger side. Haven't pulled my camper yet with the cans but expect to see even more on the drivers side when I do.
Aha, that's probably it then. I'm still babying the thing, more or less. Just hit 1500 miles, so I dumped the oil and now I won't be afraid to put my foot into it. I have tunes sitting on my computer begging me to install them, but I really want to make sure there are no gremlins in this new truck before I mod it too much. I'm loving the ecoboost - even stock. Feels stronger than my '12 F150 5.0 with a 93 5* tune.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I also installed a Fumoto while I was changing the oil today, so future oil changes will be less of a royal PITA.
Damn thanks, I will be adding a Fumoto also now that I investigated wth you were talking about so thanks. I know I hate the filter location as well. The Fumoto concept is what I want to try and do with the UPR cans by adding a ball valve to the bottom that I can stick a hose on.

Reactions: dvoels

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
I would drill and tap the bottom to 1/4 NPT as 1/8 may be to small for the gunk to drain well. I like your idea of the remote valve on the end of a tube to make draining easier.

Also, I strongly recommend the UPR extension if using the UPR can, it really improves the capacity and function. Well worth it.

Also, all remember, the RX system actually modify s and fixes the PCV flaw that causes all of this preventing it from accumulating in the crankcase to begin with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would drill and tap the bottom to 1/4 NPT as 1/8 may be to small for the gunk to drain well. I like your idea of the remote valve on the end of a tube to make draining easier.

Also, I strongly recommend the UPR extension if using the UPR can, it really improves the capacity and function. Well worth it.

Also, all remember, the RX system actually modify s and fixes the PCV flaw that causes all of this preventing it from accumulating in the crankcase to begin with.
Thanks, Tuner Boost. We'll see how it goes. Wish I had read about the RX cans before I bought mine. Hopefully they prove to be "good enough." Very small container on them, for sure, but I'm pretty anal about tinkering with my vehicles, so I don't mind checking them often. I saw a very good post elsewhere (So Cal something or another) that showed a ton of cans, inside and out, along with lots of good info on how they work; however, I ran across it AFTER I already had my parts in the mail. Maybe on the next vehicle, or a future mod. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
i got a piece of aluminum 1 inch wide and 1/8th inch thick. Im thinking about bending up a brackets out of that. then mounting the brackets with the bolts that attach the upper CAC bracket to the frame and then mounting the catch cans to those aluminum brackets. hopefully that works out. will be much easier to get to the cans to empty them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
got my cans installed. made a couple brackets. the one i am very happy with, the other is not as rigid as i would like. so i am going to make another and attach them together to stiffen it. took first trip with the cans installed and they are working great. found some oil running down one hose. it was attached go the can but no clamp on it. traced the oil and found it to be coming from the end of the hose around the fitting. so I am going to put clamps on it and see if that stops it which it should.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Can you post pictures of the setup when you get a chance? Thanks in advance

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
Bill, I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of catch cans from Stage3 with the extension but would also like to add the new UPR diffusers also. Will you be offering the diffusers for sale as well? Did not see them on your site.

Thanks.
They're not on the site yet, but we can get them for you. Just give us a call directly at 1-877-578-2433.

·
Registered
1 Posts
UPRJoe, Are you getting ready to sell a new and improved catch can and oil separator?
I'm looking to get a catch can for my F-150 EcoBoost.
I Want the Best!!!

181 - 200 of 220 Posts