F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok stage3 my Phase 2 upgrades are on the way, time for some catch cans. Thanks for your great products!

·
Vendor
444 Posts
UPRJoe, Are you getting ready to sell a new and improved catch can and oil separator?
I'm looking to get a catch can for my F-150 EcoBoost.
I Want the Best!!!
UPR Introductory Special Offer Starting Next Week. ( Available at: Stage 3 Motorsports )

Yes, we have a new kit for the Ecoboost that is going to be ready next week. Our new catch can is expandable to
handle 2 intake / inlet connections. The new setup is a much more involved design and has Separate Intake and
Exhaust Chambers in both the location and area they occupy.

In other words if you wanted to run the can as a simple bolt on or if you want to tap into a vacuum source for WOT
you will be using the same can and just add the new UPR Y vacuum splitter.

Here is the latest version of the UPR catch can for the F150 Ecoboost and the F150 5.0L

The kits will come in Silver with Braided hose, Silver Billet ends, Nickel Drain Cock and
Nickel fittings. Of course mounting bracket and hardware.

Dimensions are 2.75" Diameter and 6" Height

The retail will be $199.99 Complete for everything listed.

UPR F150 Ecoboost Catch Can.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Still worth it to install a catch can on a truck that has 38k miles on it ? I just got it last month and plan on keeping it for a long time... what happens if I don't install one of these? Longevity / reliability compromised? I'm not a mechanical person (think geek.), and this is the first I have heard of a catch can..

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
Still worth it to install a catch can on a truck that has 38k miles on it ? I just got it last month and plan on keeping it for a long time... what happens if I don't install one of these? Longevity / reliability compromised? I'm not a mechanical person (think geek.), and this is the first I have heard of a catch can..
In general, yes it's worth it, and we recommend doing it, especially if you're planning on holding onto your truck for a while. If you don't install one, you're looking at possible water ingestion issues and loss of performance from octane degradation and valve coking down the road.

Still, the decision is entirely up to you. If you don't want to install a catch can, then we do recommend getting new plugs and gapping them down, as well as cleaning/draining out your intercooler on the regular.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1 or 2 catch cans?

In general, yes it's worth it, and we recommend doing it, especially if you're planning on holding onto your truck for a while. If you don't install one, you're looking at possible water ingestion issues and loss of performance from octane degradation and valve coking down the road.

Still, the decision is entirely up to you. If you don't want to install a catch can, then we do recommend getting new plugs and gapping them down, as well as cleaning/draining out your intercooler on the regular.

I'm not going to argue with the need for a catch can, but I am wondering if 2 is needed. From my research some say you NEED one on both the driver and passenger side and then I have read that it is better to just put one on the passenger side. I actually bought two cans but a Ford mechanic informed me it would be more beneficial to actually install them in line both on the passenger side. I am waiting for my Full Race intercooler to be delivered and will install the cans all at the same time.

Comments? Has anyone tried this? One side vs both sides for can install?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I'm not going to argue with the need for a catch can, but I am wondering if 2 is needed. From my research some say you NEED one on both the driver and passenger side and then I have read that it is better to just put one on the passenger side. I actually bought two cans but a Ford mechanic informed me it would be more beneficial to actually install them in line both on the passenger side. I am waiting for my Full Race intercooler to be delivered and will install the cans all at the same time. Comments? Has anyone tried this? One side vs both sides for can install?
For the most part we use a single dual valve catch can. It allows for more to be caught. Search for RX or UPR and do some reading on those threads and you will see why both sides is beneficial.

The reason why the drivers side is beneficial is to catch and moisture before it condenses in the CAC. It is found the main cause of the condensation shudder is from moisture going from the drivers side into the suction of the turbo then condensing in the cac.

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
I'm not going to argue with the need for a catch can, but I am wondering if 2 is needed. From my research some say you NEED one on both the driver and passenger side and then I have read that it is better to just put one on the passenger side. I actually bought two cans but a Ford mechanic informed me it would be more beneficial to actually install them in line both on the passenger side. I am waiting for my Full Race intercooler to be delivered and will install the cans all at the same time.

Comments? Has anyone tried this? One side vs both sides for can install?
You still get some amount of blow-by from the driver's side PCV, which is why it's generally a good idea to have some sort of system that pulls from both. Granted, it's a fraction that comes out of the passenger's side, but nevertheless, it's definitely there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
UPR Dual valve.

You still get some amount of blow-by from the driver's side PCV, which is why it's generally a good idea to have some sort of system that pulls from both. Granted, it's a fraction that comes out of the passenger's side, but nevertheless, it's definitely there.
What would be my purpose to buy a dual valve over the single valve, considering I can get 2 single valves for less the the dual? I'm just trying to figure out my best and most affordable route to go. I do tow a 10000 lb camper but not terribly often and not very far for that matter.

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
What would be my purpose to buy a dual valve over the single valve, considering I can get 2 single valves for less the the dual? I'm just trying to figure out my best and most affordable route to go. I do tow a 10000 lb camper but not terribly often and not very far for that matter.
Sorry for just getting back to you today. I was out of town since Thursday to pick up a truck.

Anyway, the dual-valve cans are technically more efficient than even running a dual in-line can setup, due to the fairly basic internal design of the older in-line cans. UPR's dual-valve cans have a more advanced "staged" percolator versus the in-line's steel-packed design.

Still, if you're only seeing a minor amount of oil in your intercooler from both sides, then doing a dual in-line can wouldn't be a bad choice by any means.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well boys, I've been up and down in this catch can thing. But now that I have my '15 3.5 Ecoboost, I'm back to researching. I just was on Stage3 site and found nothing about '15 F150 catch can. There's none listed there for sale that I côuld find. Oh wait, I did find one, called McNally. Wha'? Is tat RX one now? Oh me, more I read, more I get confused.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Empty it Every other fuel fill in the summer and every fuel fill in the winter.

You open a valve on the bottom.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
I am interested in purchasing the catch can and watched the installation video. However the video fails to instruct on the process to empty the catch can and how frequently it needs to be emptied or whether there is any method whereby it can be determined that the can is near full and needs to be emptied.
There's a ball valve at the bottom of UPR's cans that lets you drain them out.

Your interval is going to depend on your climate and how much atmospheric moisture gets picked up along with the blow by. Like winchested said, it's not a bad idea to empty it out at a fill up or every other fill up until you get a baseline.

All of our trucks here in Arizona didn't need it emptied that often, due to the cans only really picking up blow-by, but your case may be different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's a ball valve at the bottom of UPR's cans that lets you drain them out.

All of our trucks here in Arizona didn't need it emptied that often, due to the cans only really picking up blow-by, but your case may be different.
Thanks for the response.

I am in Arizona too. Another question. I cannot tell from the video, how accessible is the ball valve? Does it require removal / disassembly to gain access? I have a catch can on my 450 hp VW R32, the drain is inaccessible without disassembly so to make draining easy, I installed a length of hose to the catch can drain and put a drain ball cock at the end of the hose so I can drain it easily into a container from under the vehicle. Would this be possible on the f150 dual valve oil catch can?

·
Vendor
1,523 Posts
I am in Arizona too. Another question. I cannot tell from the video, how accessible is the ball valve? Does it require removal / disassembly to gain access? I have a catch can on my 450 hp VW R32, the drain is inaccessible without disassembly so to make draining easy, I installed a length of hose to the catch can drain and put a drain ball cock at the end of the hose so I can drain it easily into a container from under the vehicle. Would this be possible on the f150 dual valve oil catch can?
You can get a small cup or an empty water bottle under there, but that's about it. It's definitely not the most accessible place in the world, but it's doable. Some folks have attached lines to the ends of the valve or replaced the valve with a different setup.

201 - 220 of 220 Posts