F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I picked up my 2013 FX4 3.5L Eco boost last week. As a new owner I was excited to look into some of the upgrades and tunes you can do to get the most out of these engines, but I stumbled across a few YouTube videos describing the problem with carbon/sludge buildup on the back of the intake valves due to the direct fuel injection. After looking through threads and videos I have to say I am a bit worried. I bought my truck with 52k on it and I am assuming the last owner never even heard of this issue, so I am wondering what my valves could possibly look like. I have yet to get a bore scope to really look at the valves but just wanted to get the forums take on this issue. I have read all the preventative (catch cans) and treatments you can do but just wanted to see what your first-hand experience is with this issue. It looks like to properly clean the valves, it means taking the whole intake manifold off which I am a little leery on doing considering the truck is still under warranty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
I think out of my 3+ years here I have seen two people clean their valves.

It is not needed and is not an issue.

If you really care put on a dual valve catch can like lots of us have.

There are plenty of high mileage trucks 150K plus miles that have zero issues with idle or fuel mileage. This would be your biggest indication your valves were real bad.

·
Administrator
10,004 Posts
I came here before purchasing, wasn't even really looking, just asking some questions about a 2.7 ecoboost.

About a week later you blokes had me spend about $35000 dollars.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
903 Posts
Since you are new, you will want to do the following preventative maintenance. Get new motorcraft sp534 spark plugs gapped at .030. Also, drill the 1/16" weep hole in the intercooler. This wil orevent the all too common misfire. Also, listen for the cold start rattle which indicates that the cam phasers have failed.
Not entirely true, but then again what else should we expect with your spam posts...

A cold start rattle does not 100% mean the phasers have failed. It's well documents that a rattle can come from the slack in the timing chain being greater than the tensioners' internal springs can take up right at start-up before oil pressure is sufficient to move the tensioner and take up the "slack"

To the OP: you're likely fine in terms of valves. There are TONS of Ecos on the road who never get on a forum and never run a catch can and have over 150k miles on the engines. For peace of mind, I'd throw a catch can on and call it good.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Actually if you follow the posts on f150 forum. Anyone who had only the chain and tensioner replaced were back into the dealer the next week or two because it was still rattling exactly the same. And a brand new chain and tensioners are not going to have wear within one to two weeks of driving.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Since you are new, you will want to do the following preventative maintenance. Get new motorcraft sp534 spark plugs gapped at .030. Also, drill the 1/16" weep hole in the intercooler. This wil orevent the all too common misfire. Also, listen for the cold start rattle which indicates that the cam phasers have failed.
We keep hearing this ad nauseum but its only really necessary if you're running a non stock tune. Mine will turn 50K in a couple weeks and, yes, I experienced two instances of shudder, the first before the upgrade which was done under warranty and the second was my own danged fault for using too much of the wrong kind of anti seize on the plugs I replaced the stock ones with (tinkeritis). (I, of all people should have known better...) Like others have said, there are thousands if not millions of these set ups running around problem free. Enjoy it!

·
Administrator
10,004 Posts
I have plenty of intake valves from motors with over 50-60k miles on them. Don't worry at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Worry more about the reason said intake valves wound up in your possession? Haha

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts