F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, justing having purchased my used 2012 Lariat Eco Supercrew 4x4 with 6.5' bed. Truck has a full replacement bumper/grill guard and wheel to wheel steel running boards. It has the original Pirelli 20's on it with Bilstein 5100's set at full lift. (Don't know if it was aligned after these were installed) Tires have about 36k on them and need replaced. Truck may also need an alignment, but my local Ford dealer didn't want to do it with the old tires on the truck. It drives terrible compared to my 02 SCrew with over 200k miles on it. It seems to want to follow every groove or hump in the road and I really can't relax while driving it, even down the highway. Not knowing the total previous history doesn't help either. I'm hoping new tires and an alignment will make it drive like a dream, but am concerned. Will the electronic steering on this truck make it drive totally different than my 2002? I had never driven a newer model before this truck, so don't have anything to compare it to. I would appreciate any advice or words of wisdom about the truck. Thanks

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
First off, welcome and congrats on your new (to you) truck!

It sounds like you have crappy tires, need an alignment, and I'm note sure about those shocks.....could have a valving issue. I have a '13 2WD, and immediately leveled and went to 305/55/20. Its a slightly rougher ride than the 18" minivan wheels/tires that came on it, but still rides very pleasant IMHO.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I can't lend any advice, but welcome. Hope you get this all figured out. You will love it when it gets fixed.

KCCO!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes! I took the truck after work to Sears after work to see if they would do an alignment with the old tires. They look pretty evenly worn to me, but will need replacement soon. Unlike my local Ford dealer, they inspected the tires and said they would perform an alignment with the old tires. On the way home, I got to thinking about a post I had read somewhere that suggested to make sure the trailer sway control is turned off. When I got home, I searched through the menus, and sure enough, it way set on. I turned it off and took a drive and, unless it was my imagination, it did drive much better. I know it somehow works with the advance trac and maybe it was doing its thing without a trailer and messing with my steering. Anybody else experienced this before? Am I just imagining things looking for a solution?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way... I am impressed with the power of this engine! I would never had imagined a v6 in a truck this size could move it so fast. Now, if ford would just ecoboost a v8, say a 6.2 for the SuperDuty, I think they would sell the crap out of them. But, maybe they don't want to do that because I think it would drive the 6.7 diesel sales way down.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I've thought the same thing. My dads new work truck had the 6.2 and he like it as good as my brother '05 power stroke. And they're loaded down 100% of the time. Same mpg and can't hardly tell a power difference. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397865405.979347.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397865415.366057.jpg
That's basically what his trucks are.

KCCO!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
By the way... I am impressed with the power of this engine! I would never had imagined a v6 in a truck this size could move it so fast. Now, if ford would just ecoboost a v8, say a 6.2 for the SuperDuty, I think they would sell the crap out of them. But, maybe they don't want to do that because I think it would drive the 6.7 diesel sales way down.
There's rumor of a twin turbo 5.0......Voodoo

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The trailer sway control gives an indication on the dash when it kicks in, so unless you are seeing the dash indicator it is probably your imagination. Plus every time you cycle the ignition the Trailer Sway Control will turn back on. My guess is its the tires.

SPPD

Reactions: Raiderfan1890

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SPPD,
Ok, so now I feel really stupid! Guess I should have read my manual first before I assumed anything. Yes, the sway control does turn back on everytime you restart the truck. I'll get it aligned next week and some new tires soon and hopefully that will make a world of difference. Now, just trying to figure out what size tire to put on it. It is a 6.5' bed, so it makes it look long and low, especially with the wheel to wheel running boards. I will stay with the stock wheels, but will go larger tires. I know at least a 33". How bad does a taller tire effect the performance of the ecoboost in these trucks? I have the 3.55 e-locker. Will a 34 or 35 tall tire suck down too much power from stock? I realize the mileage will be hurt. That's probably a given with most engines. Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
SPPD,
Ok, so now I feel really stupid! Guess I should have read my manual first before I assumed anything. Yes, the sway control does turn back on everytime you restart the truck. I'll get it aligned next week and some new tires soon and hopefully that will make a world of difference. Now, just trying to figure out what size tire to put on it. It is a 6.5' bed, so it makes it look long and low, especially with the wheel to wheel running boards. I will stay with the stock wheels, but will go larger tires. I know at least a 33". How bad does a taller tire effect the performance of the ecoboost in these trucks? I have the 3.55 e-locker. Will a 34 or 35 tall tire suck down too much power from stock? I realize the mileage will be hurt. That's probably a given with most engines. Thanks for all the replies!
No need to feel stupid. Asking questions and sharing knowledge is a big part of this forum. The larger tires are gonna kill your fuel economy, but for some that is not a concern. I say get what you want and can afford. Big tires do make these trucks look sweet!

SPPD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts