F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very much like the way my truck rides now, but towing makes rear droop too much. I'm thinking of replacing just the rears for this reason. So, would Bilstein 4600 do it? Any others/brands maybe be better?
Not interested in raising it really.
Thanks for input.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Shocks with the exception of spring loaded or air shocks are not designed to give you any additional lift (coil overs are a different subject altogether). They’ll give a firmer and more responsive ride but I wouldn’t count on these getting the back of your truck any higher in the air. Bilstein’s on the rear will not cure your loaded droop. Now booster springs or air bags will do what you want.

The reason the Bilstein’s on the front give you lift is because the shock tube itself has an adjustable snap ring set up designed to set the lower spring pedestal at different levels. You probably didn’t want to know all this but I believe that because people read about Bilstein’s giving lift there is room for confusion on the rear set up.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Nicely said.

Shocks themselves are nothing but dampers. (noun)
They dampen (verb), in this case, restrain the the frequency or movement of a spring. (coil, leaf, etc)

So you could argue that a shock (damper) has no ability to lift or even hold a load, In respect to the rear suspension on our F150's.

So sagging under a load would be addressed with some other device, as mentioned by GearHead above.

What a good damper WILL do for an F150 under load is lessen that "pogo" feeling that the oem dampers allow. They might be satisfactory for an empty truck at restraining the spring frequency of up-down, but I think they are miserable at dampening under a heavier load against the leaf springs.

It's Saturday and too hot outside to be doing anything productive. Lol

GearHead unwittingly touched on my favorite pick up truck subject. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, sounds like air bags might work best for me. I'll look into those.

·
Administrator
9,777 Posts
Airbags would certainly do it, but I would suggest to also research an add a leaf kit or something like Hellwig helper springs, which can add more assistance than my add a leaf kit.

I chose an add a leaf for a few reasons. Initially I was looking for something to lift the rear about an inch and a half, as I had put a 2.5 level on the front. I knew a travel trailer was in my future, so I thought I might kill two birds with one stone and lift the rear, while gaining some load handling capability also.

I chose an add a leaf because it's cheaper than bags, extremely simple, and it's just set it and forget it. Bags are a more involved install, more expensive, require adjusting, etc.

I recently bought a camper, and prior to hooking up my WDH, I had taken on about 900 lbs of tongue weight which dropped the truck 2.5". This left the truck pretty level WITH 2.5" of lift in the front. That had me at 6200 lbs out of 6500 lbs gvwr.

I was very happy with how the truck handled the camper with my WDH and the AAL. I don't feel that my unloaded ride had suffered at all, and if anything it corners a little better.

I bought an Autospring AAL, which claims 950 lbs of assistance. Hellwig helper springs have up to 2500 lb ratings iirc. I bought mine from @[email protected].

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nicely said.

Shocks themselves are nothing but dampers. (noun)
They dampen (verb), in this case, restrain the the frequency or movement of a spring. (coil, leaf, etc)

So you could argue that a shock (damper) has no ability to lift .......
Yep, what Mr. Snake said. The job of Shock ABSORBERS is simply to absorb the shock/bounce/pogo/etc. Hence the name shock ABSORBERS.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After researching a little more for my needs, I ordered the Sumosprings. Thanks again for replies.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do, as soon as I get camper back from repair shop.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I very much like the way my truck rides now, but towing makes rear droop too much. I'm thinking of replacing just the rears for this reason. So, would Bilstein 4600 do it? Any others/brands maybe be better?
Not interested in raising it really.
Thanks for input.

I have had great success with the 4600's..... they will help with the sag, but not cure it. Like mentioned they will help with the rebound and such, overall a much better shock for the rear over stock.....

What are you towing and do you use a weight distribution set up?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Camper under warranty = long wait time. New water heater should be in today, might have camper back by Thursday....
I've since installed the Sumosprings on the rear, this will help reduce sag.
Camper is a Bullet Colt, dry weight is 3K, maybe 3500 with our stuff in it. No WDH, truck/camper doesn't even flinch when big rigs pass (on coming).
Will report back soon...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the trailer back last night. I have been using a hitch with a 2" drop turned upside down to make up for the sag. Yesterday I reversed that back. When I hooked up truck kept most of it's rake, and trailer is pretty level. That's just what I was looking to do.
So, for me the SumoSprings did the trick! Taking another long weekend, next week so I'll see how she rides down the freeway...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to mention that I installed the kit with the spacers. After lowering the truck down I found the they were sitting on the axel. Removed the spacers to get a little gap, for daily driving.

·
Administrator
9,777 Posts
When I started researching the sumosprings, I found that they offer a set designed to actually put on the trailer.

Call me Crazy, But I've been tempted to try that. Seems to me if you calm the load at the source, it would make things all around better. I've always thought it crazy that trailers don't have any sort of shock absorber.

That researching got me finding shock absorber kits for travel trailers also. Both those, and the SS reviews all seemed to report less bounce from the trailer, less leaning and "body roll" from the camper, and as a result better towing manners. Sumosprings look SOOOO easy to install now I'm just curious about putting them on everything. Lol

My camper tows well out on the open road, but there are two campgrounds close to home here in rural SC that we like to frequent. The problem is, the roads we take are riddled with potholes. They've needed to be repaved for years, but instead, they just out up "rough road 25 mph" signs. These roads kind of beat us to death. But, I also still have my stock shocks. After I reolace those, if I still have so much bouncing on those roads, I may look into SS on the truck and/or the trailer. Shocks may cure it though.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, passenger side. I measured from ground up to fender, about 1/2" difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did a 350 mile trip last weekend and truck rode well, more level and same good ride quality as before. This spring set up works for me!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts