F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased a new 2013 Pale Adobe Metallic Super Crew XLT 4X2 for my "run around" truck. I have owned a previous EcoBoost, a 2011 SHO :D, and several previous Ford trucks and cars. The new truck has the Equipment Group 302A (XLT Convenience Package/XLT Plus Package/XLT Chrome Package, and other combined options) OEM Towing Package with the integrated brake controller and SelectShift transmission, Electronic Locking Rear Axle, and Cloth Bucket Seats with the console. Not as fancy as some I've owned but I just needed a fairly basic truck, I did go for the EcoBoost in a moment of weakness...:rolleyes:

I have already started modding it a bit, 40% 3MCrystaline window tint on all four doors, Du-Ha rear under seat storage box, and have a color matched A.R.E. "Z" Series Cap on order. A few more tweaks and I'll be done! At least that is what I'm telling my wife...

The one thing I looking for now is better lighting while in reverse. I have the OEM backup camera, the small one in the mirror, which helps but when it is dark the current reverse lights don't do a lot. After my A.R.E. Cap arrives it will be even darker when backing, I'll lose the Cargo Lights, so I need to find something to seriously crank up the lighting in the rear. Any suggestions are appreciated...

Regards,

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new truck!

I am thinking about upgrading my backup lights as well. Recon has some very good options for direct bulb replacement as well as other options. You could also purchase a set of the small Vision X or Rigid LED lights and flush mount them in your bumper.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I just got the Recon 6 watt reverse lights for mine, and even with tinted tails i can see everything.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You can go with the light bar that mounts below the tailgate on the bed end cap. This way you have LED running/marker lights, turn signals, brake lights and in reverse you have plenty of LED bright white lights that will show you whats back there well before you hit it.

I purchased mine off of Amazon, but highly recommend Stage3 Performance who is a supporter of our/your site right here.

FWIW: there are a few different manufactures out there that sell these, don't go with the bargain basement priced light bar...... you get what you pay for. And in this case a little extra cash will net a much better product!!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome to the F150 Ecoboost Forum!

I agree with Jon! The Stage3 led tail light bar is the ticket. I will be ordering mine soon.

SPPD

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, now I have a couple of questions:

Do the Recon 6W bulbs require ballast resistors or are they "plug and play" on the F150?

I have had "Line of Fire" IIRC:confused: LED light bars before that were not very durable in the high humidity around here. They also were a bit tight to install with a good tailgate seal. Are these issues with the Stage3 Tail Light?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
They're plug and play. Recon makes a quality product that performs, and they stand behind what they sell. Morrimoto also makes a small projector set that installs underneath the bumper. I helped a friend of mine install them on his truck, and they're really bright. I'll get him to send me the pics.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
These are $75 for the set, and come with mounts and a harness to tie into your existing reverse lights. x.DRL-2.jpg IMG_2766.jpg IMG_7455-2.jpg

Reactions: OldFatGuy

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
You can go with the light bar that mounts below the tailgate on the bed end cap. This way you have LED running/marker lights, turn signals, brake lights and in reverse you have plenty of LED bright white lights that will show you whats back there well before you hit it.

I purchased mine off of Amazon, but highly recommend Stage3 Performance who is a supporter of our/your site right here.

FWIW: there are a few different manufactures out there that sell these, don't go with the bargain basement priced light bar...... you get what you pay for. And in this case a little extra cash will net a much better product!!!
Beat me to it! That was going to be my suggestion!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts