F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my 2012 FX2 super cab in January 2015 with 36,000 miles on it. I knew when I bought it that it would need them soon so just last week I put on a set of 4 Cooper Discoverer HT Plus tires. Great tires, they look great, made in the USA and feel awesome! Also the truck needed front rotors since I was getting a bad shimmy. Got a set of rotors and pads from RockAuto and put them on last week, wow what a difference!!! Then when I was driving over the weekend in some heavy rain, trying to get on the interstate the truck fell flat on its face, check engine light came on and was flashing, I pedaled the truck on the gas then off on and then of trying to not get run over and it picked up enough to get in the right lane out of the way. The all great P0300 code came up for misfire, my MPG went down about 5mpg and had sputtering at WOT especially around 4500-5000 rpm. So yesterday I changed the plugs on it with Motorcraft SP534's with the gap at .030 and holy crap did the truck wake up!!!! It felt like I had a shot of nitrous on the dang thing when I took it for a test drive lol. Old plugs didn't look too bad with a light brown burn to them. So the check engine light is still on last night and when I plug the reader in, P0300 is gone and I get code P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2. I cleared the code this morning on my way into work so when I get home tonight I'll see how it looks then. My MPG is back up to normal again too. Just wondering if I blew out my catalytic converter or O2 sensor when I had the misfire? Its the 3.5L 3.73 rear with no tune (yet) and all stock everything.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I bought my 2012 FX2 super cab in January 2015 with 36,000 miles on it. I knew when I bought it that it would need them soon so just last week I put on a set of 4 Cooper Discoverer HT Plus tires. Great tires, they look great, made in the USA and feel awesome! Also the truck needed front rotors since I was getting a bad shimmy. Got a set of rotors and pads from RockAuto and put them on last week, wow what a difference!!! Then when I was driving over the weekend in some heavy rain, trying to get on the interstate the truck fell flat on its face, check engine light came on and was flashing, I pedaled the truck on the gas then off on and then of trying to not get run over and it picked up enough to get in the right lane out of the way. The all great P0300 code came up for misfire, my MPG went down about 5mpg and had sputtering at WOT especially around 4500-5000 rpm. So yesterday I changed the plugs on it with Motorcraft SP534's with the gap at .030 and holy crap did the truck wake up!!!! It felt like I had a shot of nitrous on the dang thing when I took it for a test drive lol. Old plugs didn't look too bad with a light brown burn to them. So the check engine light is still on last night and when I plug the reader in, P0300 is gone and I get code P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2. I cleared the code this morning on my way into work so when I get home tonight I'll see how it looks then. My MPG is back up to normal again too. Just wondering if I blew out my catalytic converter or O2 sensor when I had the misfire? Its the 3.5L 3.73 rear with no tune (yet) and all stock everything.
Do you have a weep hole in your CAC? if you are afraid to add one, you should pull it off. I'll bet that you have a great deal of water build up which caused the stumble in the rain. May have triggered the o2 sensor to freak out too. ( just spitballing here, not sure on the cat code) The '11 and '12 have the stumble all over the place, so just check you cac and stay safe. a weep hole will allow built up water to drain with no problem. Since there is always pressure in the cac you will never have any grime get into it, so don't worry about that.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
^Sage advice from AJ there.^

Could have been plugs or CAC condensation. You've ruled out one with the plugs, if it happens again time to inspect/drain your CAC and consider the pee (weep) hole.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'll look into the weep hole some more. I've read some things about the CEL and then condensation in the CAC issues during rain. Do you just drill a small hole in the bottom of the CAC and should I just do it now? (edit, just read a couple posts, I'm gonna do this tonight!)

·
Banned
242 Posts
My truck was bought used... carfax showed that it had O2 sensors replaced twice. My truck also had the shudder/stumble. I believe that and the failed O2 sensors are related.
New properly gapped plugs and the weep hole are two great starts to gaining reliability. This engine is very finicky... Not happy with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figure I'm gonna let the CAC be for a while and leave that part alone to see how that goes. Now the other part is the Check Engine Light being back on and lower MPG. So on the way in this morning I reset the CEL one more time to see if it would duplicate. The MPG today with the CEL OFF is 22mpg average and yesterday with the CEL ON is 17mpg average driving the same exact route in same conditions. P0430 is the code that keeps coming up so I wonder if its the O2 sensor but I only have an Actron Auto Scanner and don't know how to tell exactly where the problem is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the way into work today, same conditions with a lot of rain and humidity, I pulled into the left line with an 18 wheeler comin up quick and when I stepped on the gas..........truck fell right flat on its face stumbling coughing spitting and wouldn't accelerate at all! Guess I'm just gonna keep an eye on it. The gunk is still continuing to come out of the weep hole I drilled in the CAC though. I check on it everyday and each time there is either milky brown, or dark oily fluid.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I would guess it relating to the 02 sensors as you mentioned or the cat. See if you can find out more info or just replace them with motorcraft parts. You have done all the good things to fix it, plugs etc.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
You may want to pull the cac out and drain it through the larger holes and wash it out. check the charge pipe too. it may be coated in nastiness. get that o2 sensor code cared for too. I'm willing to bet the o2 sensor friend when the motor took a drink out of the cac. Just my $.02, but the stumble can be fixed, and relatively easily.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the truck on vacation from St Louis down to Florida with the family. I watched the MPG and the CEL to see what happened. I reset the CEL before we left and didn't do anything crazy just drove easy, the light came back on after a while and averaged like 18mpg on the highway running about 80-85mph the whole way. I was thinking of the same thing agentjohnson that maybe the charge pipe is coated with gunk too which all has made the 02 sensor crap out. I figure I'm not gonna worry about it all too much until I can get an aftermarket CAC, downpipe and tune. Still love this truck though, very comfy putting 2300 miles on it with the wife beside me, two kids in the back watching movies and the bed full of luggage, coolers, chairs and a canopy for the beach.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
lilduec
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing