F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well this wk we will be picking up a 28ft travel trailer. I had a pop-up. So with the new technology in these trucks, do you still need the anti-sway hitch. Im getting the wight distribution one.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I tow a 36 foot travel trailer that comes in right around 9k loaded. Although the EcoBeast has the electronic sway control you should absolutely have a mechanical anti sway hitch. I use the Andersen, but there are plenty of options. It really boils down to safety. I consider the electronic sway control to be my safety net. I have yet to have it kick in while using my anti sway hitch.

SPPD

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yes, you still need an anti sway control hitch. Winds can just drive you crazy without anti sway.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Anti sway and brake control will be your best friends. The more control that you have over your trailer, the nicer it will ride. Don't worry though, the Ecobeast will haul with ease.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From the videos I have seen the sway control works by applying brakes on one side of your truck and all the trailer brakes (if you have the factory controller), I would think you will severely reduce the life of your brakes if you only relay on that for sway control. Mechanical sway control is a must or after your first trip in the wind you will never want to two your trailer again. I use an Equal-I-zer hitch and it works great! Search around on the internet and read the reviews and make your own choice on the hitch. I like the Equal-I-zer as you don't have to add additional sway bars for sway control. Search around, pricing will very a lot! Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution Equalizer Hitch 10000# lbs - $439.. This site has some of the best prices I have seen on the equal-I-zer, my dealer wanted $750 for the same setup!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Last time I towed my 32' travel trailer, it was in strong head winds. The Ford anti-sway actually did engage once. It caught me by surprise as the dash screen switched to an orange screen which read "anti-sway engaged" or something to that effect. The truck noticeably slowed as the brakes were engaged. I use a WD hitch also, but the winds were really knocking me all over the road. Its good to know that I have that extra level of help when mother nature's in a bad mood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From the videos I have seen the sway control works by applying brakes on one side of your truck and all the trailer brakes (if you have the factory controller), I would think you will severely reduce the life of your brakes if you only relay on that for sway control. Mechanical sway control is a must or after your first trip in the wind you will never want to two your trailer again. I use an Equal-I-zer hitch and it works great! Search around on the internet and read the reviews and make your own choice on the hitch. I like the Equal-I-zer as you don't have to add additional sway bars for sway control. Search around, pricing will very a lot! Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution Equalizer Hitch 10000# lbs - $439.. This site has some of the best prices I have seen on the equal-I-zer, my dealer wanted $750 for the same setup!
this hitch with the 4 way sway control solved all my problems with my 30 foot pull behind life was much better towing all problems solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Ed ke6bnl
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing