F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New to the forum but stumbled on it looking for tow info. Just sold my spree travel trailer. Towed like a champ. Going heavier and I need some advice. Here's what I have for an 2015 F150 Lariat. 3.5L eco, 3:55 with max tow package. GVWR 7000 lbs. Max payload 1550 lbs.
Looking at a trailer that's 6660 lbs and 33'10" total length. Tongue weight is 702 dry and max payload in the trailer is 1080 lbs bringing me around 7740 lbs and around 815 on the tongue max. I never tow at max weight though. Figure in another 85 lbs for the hitch and I'm around 900 lbs. 2 adults, 2 kids coming in at 500 lbs with stuff and that leaves me a little bit of wiggle room. I'd throw on some airbags for a little better stability.
I'd like to know what you guys think towing wise. A new truck is not an option. Even though I'm technically within my weights, is this a lot of trailer to pull with the F150? Of course, the dealership says no problem but I'm really needing some real world input.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you pull a lot of grades and in the mountains, have fun backing out and playing with gear selection to keep it from overheating in warmer temps.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
617 Posts
Looks like you are being given misleading information on the weight of camper/tongue.
I cannot believe a 34' camper is only 7740 GVWR and the tongue weight looks way low.
The truck will tow it, no problem.
Camper stealerships are no different in their sales tactics than car stealerships.
Welcome to the forum !

·
Registered
610 Posts
That's a lot of square footage for wind to act on. Might pull it and stop it but is there enough mass in the truck to keep it from being pushed around?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Again, those are specs from an RV dealership. See if the manufacturer's specs match.
What did you tow your Spree with and what are the weights on it ?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thanks guys.
I'd be going full sway/eq bar and air bags.
Here's the specs on the trailer. It's actually 28.5 feet but the total length is just under 34. My spree was just under 32 feet.
Sorry. I get amused easily.
How does it sleep 10 people ?
I actually believe the GVWR is mostly accurate at 7600 although I will guess 8500 gross and 1000 tongue, fully loaded up and ready to camp for a week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, those are specs from an RV dealership. See if the manufacturer's specs match.
What did you tow your Spree with and what are the weights on it ?
the spree was 5200 dry and 620 on the tongue. Same current F150 for towing. The trailer specs are from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The manufacturer is rvusa ?
Not understanding why you keep posting dry/unladen weights. It makes no difference what it weighs before all the camping supplies and water for 4 people for X amount of time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The specs are the same as the manufacturer as rvusa. So I guess my question at 7500 lbs and 800 lbs tongue am I good to go?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Legally ? You would have to do careful math and determine that yourself. You are the liable person. For me, it would depend on where I was towing. Here, there doesn't seem to be any interest to the state guys to pull over and weigh trucks/campers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As a data point, we have a 2011 EB screw with the L6 (I think) 3:55 rear end. We tow a 1983 Airstream 31' that is 7400 gross. When researching, I looked at gross combined vehicle weight rating. Going off memory, it think the F150 was something like 15,500 lb or so. Doing the math on gross weights, the combo showed about 1,100 lb under that weight.

Last year we were on a trip and stopped in my wife's hometown in rural Nebraska and went to one of the local truck scales at a convenience store on a Sunday morning when they were quiet. Rig loaded with eight butt cheeks, dog, and camping stuffs for a week. Pretty close to the weight I was expecting, which was close to the gross combined weight.

Our old TV was a 2001 Excursion with the 7.3.PSD. Hated that thing for more reasons than space allows, but it towed nice. This is SO much of a better vehicle in nearly every way - very happy with tow performance. Granted, have not traveled through mountains - others will chime in on that. For our lifestyle, that is a rare event.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Like it has been stated before....double check your Ford OEM truck Towing Chart & the trailer weight specs....length of the trailer really doesn't come into play unless it's in conjunction with a high or overloaded trailer tongue weight. Write all the numbers down and subtract. Payload rating is really a deciding factor. Than find your trucks GVWR, as well as your GCW with truck/trailer/cargo.
It's really pretty simple.
I added a few pics from my `14 Ford Towing Specs....look for yours in your owners manual.
Get er done!
20180919_124919_01.jpg
Screenshot_20200526-183849_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20200406-194925_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20200105-213509_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200628-143143_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200628-143025_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200628-142655_Gallery.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
My setup:
Tow Vehicle
2018 F150, CC, 4x4, 3.5L EB, 10 spd., 3.55 Gear, 145" WB, Max Tow Pkg, Payload Capacity 1852lbs, GVWR 7000lbs, GCWR 18100lbs
Travel Trailer
2018 CrossRoads SunSet Trail 291RK Overall length 33'4", Height 11'4", Dry weight 5726lbs, GVWR 7600lbs.
Loaded to camp with 1/2 tank of fresh water the travel trailer weighs 6940
Tongue weight when loaded is 886lbs which equates to 12.8%

With the loaded TT hitched up, WDH dialed in, cargo in the truck bed, dogs and humans in the cab, I have about 250lbs to spare on the truck's payload.

We have put several thousands of miles on this setup over the past few years. One 15 day 3,700 mile trip took us from Houston, Texas to Massena, New York to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and back to Houston. This trip was late July and early August. No problems with the truck overheating. No problems pulling the camper. No problems stopping. No problems climbing over the mountains in either the Adirondack or Appalachian mountain ranges.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I personally would not buy a trailer that is that close to the max UNLOADED. You'll find a way to pack that thing with every gizmo on the shelf from your local RV store. Also, what a lot of folks don't mention on here is what modifications they have done to their trucks to tow at max comfortably. Could you do it without those upgrades?, probably, will it be a comfortable towing experience? probably not. So there's a hidden cost of a few grand to several grand in upgrades to make the truck more comfortable to tow this heavy. At almost 34' long, I'd be looking elsewhere, more in the <30 ft range. That thing will throw the truck around pretty good, but to each his own. Just be mindful, you're not the first person who went down this rabbit hole only to sell the truck and upgrade to a 1 ton, or to sell the trailer for something more manageable.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2013 CC 4x4, 3.5, 3.73 gears, we pull a bullet 272bhswe which is slightly shorter than what you are looking at, the truck pulls it fine there is power to spare but does the term “tail wagging the dog” mean anything, when in gusty winds or large trucks pass you will know it. I have a WDH and Timbrens the setup is good but just too much there, I love my truck but will be looking for an F250 down the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts