F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just passed away and I have just inherited my dad's 2016 F150 Platinum. My current truck is a blacked out Sierra (yes, an infidel I know) and I love my truck and the look of my Sierra. But for sentimental purposes I am going to sell my truck and keep my dad's.

I'm not a fan at all of all the chrome on my dad's truck. Did you guys order aftermarket parts or are these simply painted or wrapped? Any input you could add would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,059 Posts
Condolences sir.

And welcome to the dark side? (depending, of course. )

Throw a few pics up of the chrome and folks will certainly chime in.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sorry about your father. If that profile pic is you and him that's way to young.
Looking forward to seeing your truck and hopefully giving you some helpful tips.

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD stock
22 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss of your father, that is tough.

Post some pictures of the ride, would love to see it!

In the past I have went a few different ways when addressing issues such as yours, primarily changing out base model or "less fancy" parts for shiny.

1. Purchased replacement parts (door handles, mirror caps, bumpers, etc) from junk yards or traded mine for someone who wanted to go the other way.

2. Vinyl wrap, which does not hold up well on chrome.

3. Plastidip, which again does not hold up well on chrome.

The cheapest route was trading. Posted items and pictures I wanted to swap on forums and was surprised at how many hits I received. Pretty quickly ended up having everything I needed.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2017 XLT S-Crew 4x4
42 Posts
Sorry for your loss...

The people here are great group for any info and help, don't be shy. 🤙😎🤙

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I already know I at least want to install a leveling kit & changing the rims out. I’d love to hear what you have done with your trucks to customize and set it a part. Like I said this has sentimental value but want to make it look less “business” like.

·
Premium Member
8,059 Posts
That truck is only a grill/central bumper and tailgate monster emblem away from being de-chromed.

Grill is easy.

Bumper and tailgate monster plaque is a bit more thought. I wonder what's under that tailgate plaque? Is it normal factory Ruby Red paint job?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD stock
22 Posts
Agree with Snake. It isn’t too difficult to pull the tailgate apart, may see how that is attached. I’m not sure if it is adhesive or bolted on.

Grille is simple, especially in the newer models. Had to replace the one in my 2010 and it was not an easy endeavor.

Bumpers will take work, but again finding someone with what you want and swapping would likely be your best bet unless you found some pre runner or aftermarket black bumpers for a decent price.

Not interjecting my opinion just throwing this out there: be 100% certain that by doing this you won’t in some form or fashion degrade the memory, food for thought.

Again, nice ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 F150 Screw Lariat w/Chrome Pkg; 2.7; Ruby Red Metallic; 3.31 rear end; Trailer Tow; 36 gal fuel
29 Posts
Great looking truck!! I’m a little partial to that red.....

Since I am on the old side (54) I like the chrome look. I also like them with black rims, grill, door handles, etc. Guess it just depends on the look you are going for. Keep us posted on what you do!!

Lastly, my condolences on your loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Platinum
287 Posts
Man after seeing the truck my vote would be keep the Chrome it’s really suiting with that color and just looks classy!
Regardless, sorry for your loss 😔. That’s really cool you atleast get to keep your dads truck, I hope you have it a long time!

Great looking truck!! I’m a little partial to that red.....

Since I am on the old side (54) I like the chrome look. I also like them with black rims, grill, door handles, etc. Guess it just depends on the look you are going for. Keep us posted on what you do!!

Lastly, my condolences on your loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Don’t have to be old to like chrome haha 28 here and I think when done tastefully (not all the chrome stick ons from autozone) it looks so nice!

Reactions: marcher

·
Registered
56 Posts
I tend to hate chrome except for classics. But this color goes really well with the Chrome. I might keep it. This coming from someone who has ordered his last three cars with black trim and my f150 is paint matched sport trim.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
I am not sure if 2020+ F150 will get this option, I imagine Ford will put it on it and every vehicle as an option soon but the Superduty you can get a black out package that give you black trim, headlights and even the Ford Logo.

·
Registered
2015 F150 Screw Lariat w/Chrome Pkg; 2.7; Ruby Red Metallic; 3.31 rear end; Trailer Tow; 36 gal fuel
29 Posts
When you have a chance would love to know what brand the hood protector is.... I like that low profile without having a deflector on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 F-150 STX 4x4 Supercab
48 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. It’s wonderful that you’re keeping you dad’s truck. You’ll feel good about it in years to come.

My dumb experience ....my dad passed several years ago. I got his pristine 1983 Lincoln Town Car with only 64,000 miles. It was beautiful. I kept it two years and decided I had too many vehicles and sold it. That was 25 years ago, and I still regret not keeping the car. I was a real dope!!!!

Anyway, I really like your F150. It’s beautiful. Have you thought about plasti dipping the wheels?? Keeps them original but removes the glitter. Just a thought.
God bless

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for your condolences...Day by day it gets less painful but as many of you know the relational loss is still there and I am sure will be the remainder of my life!

I appreciate all the input that you all have given. I do agree that as I see the truck more and more it is growing on me. It is funny my dad always commented on how he loved the look of my truck, and so did I, but his is beautiful in a different way! I'll update you all in the Spring as I'll take the winter to sit on it and get a good plan in place.

Zogg...I do agree that this will be a truck I keep for a very long time! He loved that truck! Again, thank you all and i'll look into everyone's suggestions!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts