F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my new-to-me 2013 Screw EB XLT this week. What are the first things (besides general maintenance/oil change) that I should do?

It’s bone stock. I’m not really interested in anything over-the-top right now, but is there anything I should immediately look into for safety/performance/reliability/entertainment reasons?

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Welcome, How many miles on t and so forth. I will let the 1st Gen experts chime in

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,646 Posts
If it has over 75k miles and you don't know any PM history do everything as mentioned above including plugs, clean all intake sensors, check tire pressure cold, take note of wear pattern on tires, maybe rotate. Check brake pads and rotors. General PM. If you can check boost and vacuum, do that. Should be capable of 15 psi boost. When everything seems good to go and the engine is warmed up, and you are alone on a nice stretch of highway, give er a good italian tuneup weekly.

Reactions: docster

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. It’s got 150k on the clock, extensive service records, and I’m going to call the dealer it was serviced at to fill in the gaps.

New spark plugs not even 1,000 miles ago, brand new tires that don’t even have 500 miles on them.

I plan to do a full synthetic oil change almost immediately after I pick it up, then stick to the 5,000 mile OCI after that.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Be interesting to know if timing chains and phasers have been addressed, with that many miles.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yeah that’s a lot of miles check it’s history and see if it’s still got the original turbos,as they seemed to sometimes have issues on high mileage engines with oil build also if it doesn’t have a catch can I’d look into the valves as they get coated really bad with junk from not having fuel to wash and keep them clean, maybe have the dealer clean the valves as it can rob a huge amount of power and MPG..
It would be interesting to see how much power it’s still making if you get a chance to throw it in the dyno ..then do a cleaning that would be a good read..

As far a performance about the best thing to do is getting it tuned it’s the biggest bank per buck..Anywhere from 60-90 rwhp
If you want power and that down low grunt give MPT a call, get their tow tune and their PRX performance tune...
Change the plugs & gap them smaller.. and install a cooler T-stat...
After that get a aftermarket Intercooler it helps with keeping water out of the engine,keeps the power Constant & even adds some power by cooling the air better..
Wagner is a good brand & cost effective..
I wouldn’t worry about a cold air just drop in a green filter in the air box..unless you like the extra sound a cold air gives you but they don’t add much power or any really over a good green filter ..
The next best thing is IMOP is down pipes ..
After that it’s something like full race turbos but that’s getting into $$$
Good luck enjoy your truck..

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I am one of the sceptics of the cooler t'stats. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: docster

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
They aren’t for making more power alone it’s how they effect other components..having a lower tstat helps to prevent engine damage for one,as they helped to prevent spark knock, which would make the ecm retard timing causing a loss of power,they help to allow the timing to be advanced If it’s tuned,it helps the engine to run cooler especially if u have a tune ,as it’s common to set the fans to come on sooner to help cool the motor and if u have a stock t-stat then it would defeat the purpose of setting the fans to come on sooner to help make more consistent power..it’s a proven and time tested mod, even more so on boosted engines,& higher compression NA motors .
the main reason Manufacturers have higher set T-Stats in many cars is for emissions ,gas mileage, cold start ,and in colder climates it helps the heater work better,& other associate features ,
anyway good luck with your truck..

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
It does nuttin for summertime here and other hot and humid areas. Coolant/engine is still gonna get to 205, 210, 220, just might take a tad longer to get there. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I am one of the sceptics of the cooler t'stats. 🤷🏻‍♂️
All modern engines are designed to run at higher temperatures to minimize pollution. As well, to get hot enough to burn off all the condensation that may be in your crankcase when you first start it.

Back in the "Good Old Days (late 1980s/early 1990s)" when fuel injection just came out, a LOT of guys would put a colder t-stat as it typically would make the engine run richer (which helped in those days when people made mods but couldn't tune). It was a bandaid attempt to affect fueling when chip tuning was still in it's infancy AND very expensive. Funny enough, almost every chip in those days also were built around a 160*F T-stat.

But on a properly tuned engine, there is less advantages to running a cooler t-stat today, and may cause emission problems if you must get tested.

They don't make them for our trucks, but on other vehicles, I found 160*F t-stats could cause a lot of drivability problems, and make it hard to go from "Open Loop" to "Close Loop". While 180*F T-stats were a good compromise. I have never seen a 180*F but I know there are 170*F. But you also need a tune for that - if only to get the fans to operate at the lower temps ... or you have NO advantage in slow moving city traffic - where your fans won't come on until 210+*F and cut out at 195*F.

I do think a cooler t-stat could be helpful to those in hot climates, mountainous geography or have a heavily modified engine. Those would be the only scenarios I would go to a cooler T-stat now.

I live in a colder climate and drive my truck daily. Also I live a fairly short distance from work. My engine would never get up to it's proper operating temp without the OEM T-stat. As well, when it is REALLY COLD (and it can hit -20*F in winter) ... my windshield won't clear properly, and the truck cabin NEVER gets warm.

If you check my Dyno Stats in my signature. You can see running the OEM T-stat doesn't seem to be holding me back ... FUEL QUALITY YES (our fuel is garbage). But T-Stat no.

For most people, especially in Northern Climates with REAL winter with a mildly modified engine, there isn't any real advantage to a cooler T-stat. I have done my fair share of freezing my butt off in vehicles and trying to look out a small clean area on my windshield, because I had too cold a T-Stat.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts