F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just picked up a 2012 XLT leftover with 160 miles on it in Gem Green at a great price. I am a little disappointed in the mpg only getting 15.3 in town. I like the truck have always owned Fords and will continue to do so. I have noticed a little lag when I get on it maybe just need to learn to drive it. What grade fuel does everyone run? Owners manual say 87 octaine so thats what I have been running. Just want to intorduce myself.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Welcome! Don't think I've seen the Gem Green around here yet. Post up some pictures! We enjoy pictures here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welcome. Enjoy the ride. Lot of great info and topics found here. The best forum I have ever been involved in.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The ecu is going to monitor the knock sensor and retard the timing if it detects knock (pinging/detonation/pre-ignition). Knock is going to occur under heavy load or heavy acceleration. Higher boost levels introduce knock as well. Higher octane fuels combat knock. The higher the octane the fuel the harder it is to achieve knock. This is THE benefit of premium fuels. So if you are going to be racing, towing, off roading, or anything else that will put more stress than normal driving on your engine then a higher octane fuel will benefit that occasion. You don't have to use it but your performance will benefit by not having the timing retarded to combat knock or not have it retarded as much. I use 87. If I were going to go to the track I'd put in 93 or better ;). I plan on towing my boat with 87 because even though it would make more power with 93 it has plenty enough power to do the job with 87. Now if I HEAR it pinging/knocking then I'll up the octane to the next highest until I no longer hear it.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I have an LMS tune to run 87, 89, or 93. I currently run 87 for the same reason Nasty Wendy explained. I drive calmly so the additional power is unnecessary for my daily driving. The truck has PLENTY of power with the tune and without the tune.

Gas mileage wise, 15.3 for city driving isn't bad. The epa sticker rates the truck at 15 / 21. If you're getting 15 on freeway, we have issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2013 XLT Crew and currently get 16-18 mpg in what I consider terrible driving conditions on my way to work. The highest speed limit is 35 in stop and go sometimes heavy traffic with plenty of hills. I'd be surprised if I averaged 20 mph on this route. When I get to drive on the larger streets in moderate traffic where speeds are 45 mph + I get 20 mpg or better.

I use 87 octane 10% alcohol fuel.

Your driving style greatly affects you mileage. Do a google search for hypermile for some ideas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
TT F-150
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing