F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never knew this forum existed. I'm glad I found it. I purchased a 2012 F150 SuperCrew last November. It has the 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.55 rear end, Platinum Package, tailgate step and box extender. The truck drives great but the gas mileage sucks huge. I'm not a "foot-in-the-carburetor" type guy but I have never seen 20 MPG at any speed come up on my dash. I have about 8800 miles on it now and if I knew then what I am experiencing now, I would never have bought this truck. I do not claim to know everything about this truck, however, I feel the mileage should be better. Maybe there is something that someone here knows of that could help me to better understand this truck and its performance. On a side note, this past weekend I was pulling my Bobcat (on a trailer) and the dash continuously switched back and forth from trailer connected to trailer disconnected...any ideas? Truck.jpg

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey welcome to the Site; glad you found us! Some people have had great success with milage while others like yourself have had some lower numbers. Cold weather has a major impact on the EcoBeast as you might have discovered. Summer time it depends on how fast you are traveling for other members and myself 65-68mph seem to be the sweet spot (3:73 gearing). head or cross winds or rolling hills which cause the Eco to use more boost tend to train the tank as well. However, I am still getting solid milage given the terrian I drive in and know its a truck I compare to other trucks with equal capabilities and have found the MPG don't come close.
I would check the 7 pin wiring might be diconnected or cut.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome to the site!

The trick to good mpg is staying out of the boost as much as possible. Get up to speed quickly and then drive like you have an egg between your boot and the pedal. Coast as much as possible when approaching a stop or slow down. While on the hwy keep it under 70mph and use cruise control as often as possible. Keep your tires aired up to the max PSI on the sticker inside your drivers door. As Ak-Kingboost said cold weather hurts the mpg especially the first 10 minutes or so of driving from a cold start. Also we tend to let our trucks idle longer in colder temps to warm up the truck. Any time you are idling you are getting 0mpg and that hurts overall economy. I consistanty get over 20mpg on the highway and 16-18 in the city. Towing I have done as good as 14, and in strong head wind as low as 6. I have found that for me the biggest gain in mpg came with staying under 70.

As far as the trailer connect/disconnect I would first clean the 7 pin connector on bot the truck and trailer. Dirty or corroded connectors is most likely the problem. If that doesnt fix the problem I would assume a bad connector or plug on your trailer.

Let us know what you find out!

Once you retrain yourself to get the best mpg on this truck I think you will have a new found appreciation for your EcoBeast.

SPPD

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Not much to add as those 2 posts covered just about everything.. I leave a little early so I can just cruise to work. I get about 18mpg avg mixed driving. I drive real calm and I live in a warmer environment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts