F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 2013 FX4 ecoboost with the max tow package and the 6.5 box. I know adding Horsepower doesn't add the ability to tow more weight, but does more power make it easier to pull the weight? Say you are going uphill, does it make it easier going uphill with the additional power compared to stock power?

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
You will pull perfectly fine stock, especially with max tow. Just get the proper hitch set up and maybe a little rear suspension work to assist in squatting. How much weight you going to typically pull?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome to the F150 Ecoboost Forum!

Torque is the name of the game when towing, and the EcoBeast is a torque monster! HP is important too, but torque is what gets you rolling and pulls you up those hills. Unless you are towing at the limits all the time a stock EcoBeast should be more than adequate. A quality hitch with WD and Sway Control is your best friend when towing.

SPPD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will pull perfectly fine stock, especially with max tow. Just get the proper hitch set up and maybe a little rear suspension work to assist in squatting. How much weight you going to typically pull?

I have a 25' enclosed trailer. Max weight on the trailer loaded is 10,000 lbs. I know the ecoboost will be fine towing this at its max. But if I can help it out by getting more torque, I guess that can't be a bad thing could it?

·
Registered
589 Posts
90% of the TQ on the EcoBeast is from 1500-5500rpms: peak is 420 is at 2500rpms rare in a gas application; which unlike Bigger V8s you will not be revving/screaming high rpms to stay in the TQ sweet spot! You have the best set-up on any half-ton truck for pulling those kind of loads... The EcoBeast will make short work of the trailer you want to pull... Like others have mentioned proper Hitch set-up and how you arrange your load will make night and day on how any truck pulls a load/trailer...
To answer your question more power can always help if you don't have enough motor when pulling a load (Just ask the other half ton truck owners out there with the big V8s you pass on the hills; might have to wait awhile for some at the top or at the next gas station they will have to stop by ) Just use caution if you are adding power and towing as you don't want to jeopardize reliability for the sake of shear power; healthy balance of power and smart deliver thru the powertrain is key to power and towing (this is why on tuners they have power maps just for towing)!
Your limits you will first see when towing will not be the Eco or transmission but the Brakes and suspension of the truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
90% of the TQ on the EcoBeast is from 1500-5500rpms: peak is 420 is at 2500rpms rare in a gas application; which unlike Bigger V8s you will not be revving/screaming high rpms to stay in the TQ sweet spot! You have the best set-up on any half-ton truck for pulling those kind of loads... The EcoBeast will make short work of the trailer you want to pull... Like others have mentioned proper Hitch set-up and how you arrange your load will make night and day on how any truck pulls a load/trailer...
To answer your question more power can always help if you don't have enough motor when pulling a load (Just ask the other half ton truck owners out there with the big V8s you pass on the hills; might have to wait awhile for some at the top or at the next gas station they will have to stop by ) Just use caution if you are adding power and towing as you don't want to jeopardize reliability for the sake of shear power; healthy balance of power and smart deliver thru the powertrain is key to power and towing (this is why on tuners they have power maps just for towing)!
Your limits you will first see when towing will not be the Eco or transmission but the Brakes and suspension of the truck.

Those a great points, and thank you. All of this knowledge definitely helps this rookie.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To "beef up" the back end I have used Timbren Load Boosters (www.timbren.com) along with Monroe Load Booster shocks. They have a coil spring on the outside of the shock. And work great!

Glad to see your getting the 6.5' box. The longer WB is a great help in towing because it helps keep the steer axle loaded. Just like a lever or teeter totter.

My 13 FX4 SuperCrew is about 6" longer than my 07 FX4 SuperCrew. I liked my 07 so much that when I ordered my 13 I wanted it identical to my 07. Only with EcoBoost. And the handling of my 13 vs. the 07 is like night and day. My 07 was good...but my 13 is GREAT!

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
A tune will certainly add more hp and tq but you will void your factory warranty. You also have to research which tune because some have performance only, tow only, economy only, performance/tow, economy/tow

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unless your towing over 11k# more than 50% of the time. I think you will be very pleased with stock. Mine pulls my loaded car trailer with my 74 IH Scout about 7k# with the trailer and it's like night and day compared to my 07 5.4. Up and down hills 70mph without issue. I think it would hold it at 80+ but there is NO need to go that fast pulling a loaded trailer!

My 07 and 13 are identical only the new SuperCrew cab is about 6" longer.

Don't get me wrong it's no Power Stroke. But if you need that much power then spend the extra $10k and buy a Power Stroke.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would start with just changing the exhaust. This won't cause an issue with warranty work and get you a good increase in both HP and torque. There are lots of different sounding exhausts available as I am finding, do a youtube search and give a listen. Any other modifications you stand the risk of warranty issues. With a programmer you can save and go back to the stock tune but for it to show as stock you have to drive about 300 miles (thanks jddens for that info). May not be a problem unless something happens making the truck undrivable then you are up the proverbial creek without a turbo.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My information is that there are legal precedents that put the burden of proof on the manufacturer when they try to void a warrantee. I suspect must dealerships only attempt to void a warranty when abuse is present. I had a transmission replaced with a tun on my Mustang and there was nothing said. I suspect most of the problems come from service writers that are poorly informed or have an attitude. If your run into that kind of attitude get the number of the area rep that services that dealership. On the other hand, if you have beat the vehicle to hell, or raced it you should not expect the manufacturer to be your racing sponsor under the warranty when you blow up the tranny.

As far as upgrades, I find a tuner is the only upgrade that gives me enough bang for the bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
Mr. D
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing