F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New here. Just picked up my 2022 xlt 3.5eb the other day. I see that there is a sync update that allows for full screen carplay. Apparently this truck doesn't have it yet. I have it connected to my home wifi and with the access point in the garage it has a solid connection. Will it get the update relatively soon or should I do something else to speed that process up?

· Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
15,277 Posts
Can you post which version of Sync your truck is currently on?

The version you are desiring is 22293
I have been running it for a couple of months but I loaded it manually, rather than waiting for OTA.

When Ford initially started to roll it out OTA, they ceased as quickly as they started. They obviously found something that they didn't like. And it was version 22228
Now that they appear to have began roll out again, notice the small build change from 22228 to 22293
(that's actually a small jump)

I don't think there's anything that you can do to trigger Ford into queuing it up for your VIN. But you CAN make sure that your truck will succeed when it gets polled by the cloud. The first thing it checks for is your 12V battery SOC. It will get skipped if it's below 80%

So make sure you are parking it at 12.4V or higher. If you are only short tripping daily, it's very possible that the battery is below 12.4

· Premium Member
15,277 Posts
You can go to https://www.motorcraftservice.com/

Purchase access for 72 hours for ~$20.00

You can then login to PTS with your VIN and I think you can see the last 60 days of OTA history for the truck?

I also have Ford's FDRS license (72 hours is $50)
You can scan your truck with a supported OBD adapter ($550 for the least expensive supported device)
This allows you to manually update your modules rather than waiting for OTA. There's also often updates available for modules that Ford will not or can not deliver to the truck OTA.

If you pm me your VIN I can look up your available updates. But warning..... It drives some folks crazy knowing that their truck has updates available.

· Premium Member
15,277 Posts
I want to be wrong about this, but if I had to predict, your dealership will not do manual updates unless it is viewed as a warranty issue.
Example: Let's say your truck is eligible for a PCM update that possibly addresses transmission shifting strategies for (some) the 10r80, unless you complained about transmission shifting, the dealership can't just update your pcm and get paid for doing so. It's simply how the legacy service policy and procedures are designed.
Of course if YOU were willing to pay for their time, you might be able to get them to do it, but they will look at you funny because historically you wouldn't "fix what isn't broken".

But many would argue that it's not that way any more. Instead, a 2021 F150 that is kept "uptodate" will have the same features and improved engine management as a brand new 2023 coming off the assembly line. All hardware being the same, not withstanding.

Anyways, welcome to the forum and it's not very welcoming for me to immediately introduce all the rabbit holes you can go down with one of these incredible Gen14 F150's. Lol
They are indeed amazing trucks pioneering many new and fascinating options.

· Premium Member
15,277 Posts
Here ya go good sir

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

Indeed your truck is going to be queued up for the APIM update above. Your truck is already listed as eligible, as you can see.

And if it were me, I'd want that PCM update for sure. I have found those updates to continually polish the drivability of the truck. My current Powerboost is much nicer in many regards than my 2021 was when I first drove it home. Ford has 2 years and millions of miles of field data that they originally didn't have.

Fortunately you are driving a very fresh truck, but as you can see, Ford is equipping trucks 5 months newer than yours with fresher engine management code.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will ask the dealer about getting that stuff done when I go in to settle up on the leveling kit and tires. I appreciate you looking it up for me. How long do updates like this take to do so I can get an idea of what it would cost if I just paid them to do it?

· Premium Member
15,277 Posts
The APIM update, if done manually, can take an hour or two and the dealerships have a really sour taste in their mouth with APIM updates. (Ford put them through hell with a TSB regarding a bad APIM update on the 2021's and it delayed the promised Bluecruise for many months as well)

But the other 4 updates that your VIN qualifies for are very straightforward and combined might be an invoiced 1 hour.

IF AND ONLY IF they connect your battery to a charger and do NOT attempt to do any updates until FDRS sees 12.4V or more.
I can't stress how important that is. It's amazing how many techs will IGNORE the alert on the computer screen to do this. It's the cause for 90% of the dealership headaches with updates, and is why I believe they are very reluctant to update customers trucks.

And I would not mention the word internet or forum to anyone at the dealership. You will become an adversary in their eyes immediately. Either that, or you are a gullible dufus. 🤣

Good luck. Enjoy that truck regardless!

· Premium Member
15,277 Posts
I don't believe that I have seen a PCM update come down via OTA. In fact not every module actually is available over OTA because not all the various networks in the truck are available through the OTA method.
Or put another way, some modules are on the trucks ethernet network. Some the USB. Some the HS-can. Some the linbus.... Etc

I'm not 100% sure which modules are fenced in completely outside of OTA, but for whatever reason the PCM has required OBD delivery only so far. (I'm old, so I might not have accurate recollection)

I can be misled because I usually don't wait and apply updates soon after they are released by Ford. Although I DO wait until at least a couple of fellas with trucks equipped similarly to mine have done so and not reported any serious issues. :)
I'm willing to play on the leading edge. But I refuse to step over to the bleeding edge.

There was a BCM update a few months ago that bricked the module on Powerboost trucks. And a more recent one that bricked the HCM (headlight control module) on trucks with the mid-level LED headlights.

Ford gets the negative feedback rather quickly and yanks the update and you can clearly see it disappear from the queue.

Anyways, I follow closely, but not interested in being first over the hurdle. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts