F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Eco boost since Feb. 2012 right at a year and 51,000 miles charge air cooler is needing replacement. according to the dealer it is a 2 month national backorder. has anyone had this issue? heard anything like this? I use the truck for work and have been very happy with it just new skins and regular service the way I like it. I always get extended warranties because if you drive a lot it usually pays off. but I am having a hard time believing you cant get a part for a new truck.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I haven't heard of that. Are they telling you to just drive the truck until the new part comes in?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The CAC (intercooler) is part of a TSB replacement for all model years prior to 2013. They are probably still trying to fulfill the TSB replacements that is why they are on backorder.

I had a similar problem on my last car. A turbo coolant bypass line blew out in the first week I had the car. No replacement parts were available so they had to order the part from the assembly line. Problem was the production line was just starting a 3 month shutdown. I was given a rental for 3 months, but I was still in the B2B warranty. I hope that they can work something out for you!

SPPD

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
There has been word of this elsewhere on the board. Thought they had it under control by now. Are you getting the shudder problem or is this simply due to the TSB?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Here is some more information I found while looking up a related TSB.

12-2-10 3.5L GTDI CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS ISSUES - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/7/2012

Publication Date: February 15, 2012

FORD: 2011-2012 F-150

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 F150 vehicles built on or before 2/7/2012 and equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) engine may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with various diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) and driveability concerns.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

The calibration update contains improvement actions and enhancements to address the following conditions:

Intermittent engine surge during moderate to light loads at cruise.
Enhancements to misfire monitor detection.
Powertrain control module (PCM) DTC P0430 and/or P0096.
NOTE: INSURE ALL HARD FAULT POWERTRAIN DTCS ARE ADDRESSED PRIOR TO PERFORMING THE CALIBRATION UPDATE.

If the vehicle exhibits DTC P0430 replace the left bank catalytic converter. Refer to WSM section 309-00. Proceed to Step 2.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 77A.03A or higher. This new calibration is not included in the 2012.1A DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.
NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BL3Z-5E212-E Converter Assy
W520514-S440 Nuts

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks to everyone I was unaware that there were TSB's related to my issue until I received some responses to my post I did some more research and found my issue (vehicle shudders and stalls with rapid acceleration,caused by condensation in the CAC) is an issue other owners are having. Best to be armed with info. and yes the dealer told me I could drive it until they had the part. however I refused to go to far and had to alter my driving habits for obvious safety concerns. I finally heard from the dealer today and am going in Thursday for the new CAC. only a 1 month wait. I understand the latest TSB on this issue is 12-10-19 and will be discussing this with the service manager. Originally no one mentioned this as being a known issue. I don't have an issue with having a mechanical problem stuff happens, it's what you do to get it fixed that shows me the type of product and company(or dealership) your working with. I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here is some more information I found while looking up a related TSB.

12-2-10 3.5L GTDI CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS ISSUES - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/7/2012

Publication Date: February 15, 2012

FORD: 2011-2012 F-150

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 F150 vehicles built on or before 2/7/2012 and equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) engine may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with various diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) and driveability concerns.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

The calibration update contains improvement actions and enhancements to address the following conditions:

Intermittent engine surge during moderate to light loads at cruise.
Enhancements to misfire monitor detection.
Powertrain control module (PCM) DTC P0430 and/or P0096.
NOTE: INSURE ALL HARD FAULT POWERTRAIN DTCS ARE ADDRESSED PRIOR TO PERFORMING THE CALIBRATION UPDATE.

If the vehicle exhibits DTC P0430 replace the left bank catalytic converter. Refer to WSM section 309-00. Proceed to Step 2.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 77A.03A or higher. This new calibration is not included in the 2012.1A DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.
NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BL3Z-5E212-E Converter Assy
W520514-S440 Nuts

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Unless I'm missing it. It dosen't say anything about replacing the intercooler. It says replace the left bank catalytic converter. And thats what they did to my step-dads when it shuddered and lost power about 6 months ago. The dealer told him the converter failed due to bad gas. I told him that was a BS excuse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
skeet
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing