F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I am approaching my first maintenance on my 20012 f-150 Eco-boost. I bought the truck with 70,000 miles and am now at 95,000

The main thing I have a question about is getting the fuel injection system cleaned. I know that these engines have a lot of build up from being Direct Injection.

The ford dealership charges around $150 to do their cleaning. I was curious if anyone has heard of Valvoline new fuel injection cleaning system specifically for DI engines. They charge $89.99 or $59.99 if you get an oil change as well

[url]http://easygdi.valvoline.com/

[/URL]
I am also looking to get my transmission fluid and coolant fluid flushed. This is around $400 at the dealership or $220 at Valvoline. I will be doing the spark plugs myself.

What do guys think about Valvoline GDI cleaning vs what you would expect at the dealership? Would you guys trust getting maintenance like this done at Valvoline to save money? Any other maintenance tips would be appreciated since I haven't had this truck for very long and I am definitely not a mechanic

Thanks!

·
Administrator
11,070 Posts
Induction cleaning services are not recommended on turbo motors. The only real valve cleaning you wanna do is having them blasted by walnut media. And maybe run some techron through a tank or two of gas for the injectors, but neither is probably necessary. Unless you are having issues?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only issue I have with the truck is a little bit of a bouncing or rougher idle. There also seems to be a little hesitation and inconsistency when getting on the petal. I'm hoping the spark plugs will get this issue cleared up. I was mainly looking at getting the injection system cleaned because it is apart of the dealership recommend maintenance along with the coolant and transmission fluids.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Put a couple bottles of Techron fuel system cleaner though it and do the pee hole thIng, give it 100 miles or so and see how it runs (after plug Change) you'll be surprised:):)

Reactions: Elkhart

·
Registered
8 Posts
History of turbo failures after doing an induction cleaning. Ford does not want you doing this on the ecoboost engines

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
History of turbo failures after doing an induction cleaning. Ford does not want you doing this on the ecoboost engines

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
HOLY SH!T!!! A new member who knows what they are talking about. Thank you Chris! You will fit in here juuuuuussst fine!

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
You can run a fuel additive cleaner and be ok, that being said if you run high quality gasoline, it has a bunch of cleaners it and your fuel system will be clean that way.

You cannot clean the tops of valves by fuel on DI.

·
Administrator
11,070 Posts
Yeah, a fuel additive won't do much. The injectors spray at such high pressure, they don't really clog.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
You can run a fuel additive cleaner and be ok, that being said if you run high quality gasoline, it has a bunch of cleaners it and your fuel system will be clean that way.

You cannot clean the tops of valves by fuel on DI.
This is all youll need and you'll never have to worry about it. There's a good vid of the CEO of Red Line Oil on YouTube discussing oil and detergent additives.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts