F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 2011 F150 Lariat ecoboost. 20k I love the rig but...

I have a loud 3-7 second noise coming from the front of the vehicle usually when stopped at a red light or stop sign. No lights or other mechanical issues. It sounds like pressurized air escaping, but very loud. Loud enough for people around to be startled and look over at the truck. Doesn't happen that I know of driving at highway speed. Usually just stopped or a couple of miles an hour in first gear or reverse.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
868 Posts
from what i have heard the 2011 and 2012 eco had a vaccuum operated blowoff valve and the 2013 was changed to a mechanical BOV
you will get blowoff normally under acceleration at lower speeds but it sounds to me like something funny is goin on if its blowing off stopped at a redlight
i would say its not normal and there is a problem starting either in the BOV or the vaccuum line that controls it

·
Registered
143 Posts
Most problems with this kind of system, based on my experience, is a slow leak at one of the connected for the vacuum line controlling the valve. It might be just a loose connection...they can be a real stinker to track down! Take the truck home, open the hood, and listen. See if you can track down where the noise is coming from, then think air leak...Good luck

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Any update from the OP on this? Been wonderingwhat it could be.

SPPD

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sound like a blow off valve to me. My Mustang has an F1R Procharger on it, and the blow off valve on it produces a lot of noise like that to let the unused boost escape safely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does it happen when you first start accelerating as well? Mine was doing that too. I took it in only to find out that the left exhaust manifold was warped.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
If it only does it at idle, I would agree it is likely a vacuum leak. Give the hoses a light spray of carbeurator cleaner. Very light spray. If the engine bogs, you have found your leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts