F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a 13 f150 kr 6.5 ft 3.55 very nice truck,when I drove on to ramp and stepped on it,to the floor,it did not down shift,seemed odd,drove about 10 mi each direction, 60mph = 18.5 with lite breeze on back, 70 mph = 16.2 into breeze, I drive about 18k miles a year,60/40 town vs hwy,pull a 2500-3000lb boat 2000 mi max,my truck now is 11 chev. Crew 5.3 4x4 3:42 good mpg14-15 city 18-20 hwy,but does not pull that boat into a headwind worth a darn,I do know ecoboost pulls,but if a guy has all that torque and hp at 1700 rims why would you need 3:73 unless you where pulling a lot and very heavy loads,dealer was also telling me guys where getting 17-18 pulling fishing boats 1500-2000lbs , he also stated that if a tuner was used warranty might not be there,truck comp.tracks everything,looking for advice,live in mn always cold. Thanks

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome!

I tow a 8800lb camper with mine and have no issues at all! This EcoBeast engine will blow you away towing. I went with the MaxTow with 3.73s just because I will be towing a much larger load. I get between 20 and 24mpgon the hwy and around 17 in town when not towing. This is hands down the best riding truck I have ever owned and have not been disappointed yet.

Good luck on your truck search.

SPPD

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I think you would be just fine with 3.31 gears because you aren't towing much. And it will give you better MPGs.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
No tuner info from me, but I assume it would void warranty.
With my 3.73s I am right around 1700- 1800 rpms at 65mph.

SPPD

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Tune voids warranty. Mixed opinions if you can reset the vehicle back to stock for warranty work.. I have 3.73 with tune and get about 20 mpg going 65. That's with 305/55/20 tires though

·
Registered
589 Posts
Tuner is dealer dependent but most tuner allow you to return to stock before taking it in for any service. Always best to talk to the dealership you plan to use but most often you will get a yes it will answer.
I pull 11k plus with no issues and with 420tq on tap the Eco was never even close to strained and often I found myself backing off the gas more than dipping into it on hills and head winds. As for cold weather I have operated my truck at -70f (not including wind chill) and the truck n Eco is simply amazing. The electric powersteering is superior for these conditions no hose to plow out and steering effort was still light, engine maintained heat. Plus at 3.5l it doesn't drain the tank sitting at idle like bigger V8s during winter either...
For what your pulling Jake is spot on in that 3:31s are more than enough and in truth no matter the gear ratio the Eco has more than enough to pull what you want...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree with all the above posts. The only reason to possibly go with the lower gear is to take some strain off the driveline when pulling heavier loads. But if all you tow is 2-4000lbs the higher gear should be fine. From what I hear The engine doesn't care what rear gear you have. But the driveshaft might.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Actually a tune can and will void a warranty on a Ford. One of my local dealers checks diesels for tunes when they come into the shop and if they find one the warranty is blocked. A tune on an Ecoboost may not cause you any problems if nothing goes wrong with the engine or transmission, but toss a rod out of the side of the block and I'd bet a pretty large amount of money that if Ford found evidence of a tune the warranty would be null and void. Same thing with GM and my Corvette, if evidence of a tune is found and there is a problem with the powertrain the warranty is blocked. Evidence of a tune can not easily be removed from the Corvette's ECU. I am not sure if the Ford ECU can detect a previously installed tune or not, but it's not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fastbob hit it on the head... Im going to talk with my guy in Rock Hill,SC and see if he can only remove the governor. The issue you will run into like Bob stated is if you start having issues that require them to go into the computer to look at parameters and they start seeing stuff that out of factory spec....call it quits your hosed. Thing I tell people is you have to be in good with a service manager who is a techie gear head himself and then your golden but that rarely happens...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
Eco_Punisher
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing