F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I want to say hi as I am new here, thanks for letting me into the group. Okay so here goes. I had a couple questions to see if maybe yall can help me out.

1. I just got some rims and tires put on my 2012 FX4. I went from the 18 in rim to a 20 in Rockstar with a 275-65-20 BF Goodrich AT KO tire Its about the equivalent to a 34in tire. I had to level it of course and ever since I did it I noticed that my MPGs went way down from an average 18.7MPG to about 14MPG on freeway cruising at about 75MPH. I was wondering if people on here who had done a tire and rim switch knew if this was a normal reduction in MPGs or is it just reading wrong because of the tire size difference?

2. Of course with the new tires I went and did some off roading. The problem that I had there was that my Electronic Power Steering gave out completely!!!:mad: Luckily I wasnt going fast or moving much at the time that it happened and I wanted to know if maybe this has happened to anyone else here. My brother who is fairly good with cars told me that it was more than likely that I turned my wheels at a complete or almost complete stop and since it is fairly deep sand where I was off roading that it was too much stress on the power steering and I just wanted to get a second opinion from you guys. I was in 4x4 L with the Diff locked at the time that it happened and I should note that when I turned it off and back on again it was good to go again.

Once again thanks guys in advance.

2012 Blue Flame F150 Supercrew with 6.5 bed, Max Tow Package 3.73 Ratios, 70k Miles

View attachment 40654

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
1) Did you damage the ESP Control when installing the Spacer?
2) Welcome to looking cool, the MPG loss is a reality, the result of the vehicle working harder to generate momentum...
3) Truck looks awesome!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I have the same tires & yea they are a bit off from the 18s. I can't remember what my tuner told me to put in my SCT devices but I got my speedo right on the money.

Lil heavier tire also. The life doesn't help aerodynamics. This is the same for any vehicle. Either get some mods to compensate or just some look @ fuel economy anymore haha

Sent from my silver iPad Air 1 in a http://www.red.org/en/ smart case using an app called Tapatalky

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Yes when you go up in size you need to recalibrate the speedo using a tuner or spend $100 at the dealer. And calibrate to raptor tire size.

The epas is stupid and if one of the sensors at one of the wheels gets unhappy the whole system crashes and when you restart the truck all seems well. I've had the issue once in the winter turning at full lock going rather quickly lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts