F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! So Brand new to this forum. Also have brand new 2019 F150 Eco Cab and a half. LONG term dedicated Ford guy, but I digress.

Here's the question. Just got back from round trip from Minneapolis/St. Paul to Poughkeepsie, NY. Call it 1250 miles each way. With "winter gas" (I swear there is such a thing) and my wife and son sharing the straight thru driving we averaged 19.1 according to the dash. This was at pretty aggressive ( 8-9 over) driving on 70 mph speed limits. Truck had some gear in the bed but really empty. I was not disappointed. So 3 days later Christmas and Mom's 80 birthday celebrations done, I hooked up my 8x12, 6.5 foot high enclosed Snowmobile trailer my brother was holding for me (another long story) and head back to Minneapolis. HOLY CHRISTMAS, at the speed limit (or lower if I was driving, my wife has the LEAD foot) we averaged 8.7 mpg the 1250 home.

Having owned this trailer since the late nineties I have some experience with it. For example in the late 1990's we owned a 1994 150 Conversion Van and a 1995 F150 Cab and a half. Alone they each got approx 16.5 mpg. No surprise they both had 351 engines and both had 3.55 rear gears. Put this same trailer trailer behind the van and it dropped 1 mpg. Put it behind the pick-up and it dropped 2-3 mpg. I get it, draft. But why in heavens name would our fuel mileage drop that far with the new Ecoboost.

Before anyone questions the trailer, new tires, bearings checked ( before and temp checked during the ride).

So I'm probably in the wrong spot in the forum, so please boot me to the right spot.

Wack

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
It's all about the boost.

Is the truck broke in? (might increase marginally)
Winter fuel (as you pointed out. Lots of fellas around here report significant drop in mileage with whatever that stuff is)
Transmission mode and cruise rpms (these trucks will choose to use boost (fuel) rather than downshift and use rpms instead. Lots of us lock gears out when cruising to reduce boost. Truck burns less fuel and creates less heat for engine coolant to deal with.

Having said all that, your numbers, considering the circumstances, aren't out of normal, I don't think.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all about the boost.

Is the truck broke in? (might increase marginally)
Winter fuel (as you pointed out. Lots of fellas around here report significant drop in mileage with whatever that stuff is)
Transmission mode and cruise rpms (these trucks will choose to use boost (fuel) rather than downshift and use rpms instead. Lots of us lock gears out when cruising to reduce boost. Truck burns less fuel and creates less heat for engine coolant to deal with.

Having said all that, your numbers, considering the circumstances, aren't out of normal, I don't think.

So Info I did not include: Ran the truck largely in "Eco" mode empty heading east. Ran in "Tow Haul" on the way back west towing the trailer. Tow Haul seems to keep the Tranny in 8th or 9th, so RPM's are up some what. How do you "Lock out gears"? Put in manual mode and "paddle shift it". I'd give several parts of my anatomy to get a look at the algorithms for the Normal/Tow Haul/Slippery Roads/ECO/Sport options on the stalk.

Lots of different kinds of highway from NY/PA/OH/IN /MN. Not Western Mountainous at worse, some pretty flat. Even with three pretty good non-professional drivers it's hard to not just set a pretty sophisticated computer controlled unit just do it's thing.

Again I digress, really interested in your explanation of locking out gears vs raising the RPM's and boost. What I (thought) I saw was tranny shifting gears rather than hanging in a gear and adding boost.

That being said (as I think too much as I type) it appears that in Eco mode it hangs longer in higher gears to maximize economy? Thoughts? Oh and broke in is subjective, about 8000 miles on it.

Wack

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
You can use the pushbutton on the shifter to remove 10th gear from being available. Push the button again, and remove 9th.....so on and so on.

While towing, some of us will remove 8-10, leaving 7th gear as the tallest gear for cruising. (basically, no overdrive)

If you have a boost gauge you can clearly watch the truck on cruise choose to stay in the gear it is in and just use additional boost to climb a slight incline. You can also watch the water temp increase as the boost holds steady.

But if you take a top gear away, forcing the truck to run at a higher rpm, you will see the reduced boost and cooler Temps simultaneously. The mpg also climbs.

Basically, the truck at 2500 rpms with zero or very light boost runs more efficiently than at 1800 rpms and 5lbs of boost. All while maintaining the same speed going down the road.

It isn't something I waste time managing or monitoring unless the trip is all highway and sustained speed cruising. But that's exactly what you described.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm not too much up on the 15 and up F150's, so forgive me if I've missed the boat on this... I don't know of any "Eco" mode on these things?? You mention the "tow/haul" button and that is what I have too, but on mine, not having it engaged does not make the truck go into "Eco" mode... ;) Mine changes the trans shift patterns and adds the auto down shift when going down hill and it will downshift when you hit the brakes. I don't really like that part, as I can control the downhill speed myself, so I usually turn T/H off when going down the grade..

The only "Eco" you get out of these things that I've found is if you keep your foot out of it and don't let that boost gauge bottom out!

Until I got my phone app ODBII monitor where I can monitor boost/temps/A/F and a ton of other things I was towing my old #5000 TT all wrong.. I tried to keep it in 6th and lower rpms as much as I could.. Being only #5000 it did fine and I got 10 mpg towing it over the passes and such..

Fast forward about 5 years and a new #7000 TT and monitoring with the app, I tried the same kind of towing and found high boost, high temps and mpg's around the 8 mpg range..

Next trip, ran premium fuel, locked out 6th gear (that's all I have) and over the same pass and around the same outside temps, it ran a lot better, ran cooler and ran lower boost and I got to around 9-10 mpg overall.

My towing speed is only around 60-65 mph, as going faster, only sucks the gas even more for me. And, I just don't want to go that fast.

Even running empty, anything over 70 mph starts sucking the gas.. I can keep it at 70 mph and get 19-20 mph on flat hwy. Bump up to 75 mph on the same flat hwy and it's at 18 or less...

I have the old 13, so heavy, 6 speed and 3.73 gears..

Anyway, good luck with that "Eco" mode... :)

Mitch

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm not too much up on the 15 and up F150's, so forgive me if I've missed the boat on this... I don't know of any "Eco" mode on these things??
Later trucks (I think 2017+, I know my 2018 has it and my 2016 didn't) add more drive modes. Whereas the old trucks had Tow/Haul and Sport, the new trucks have Tow/Haul, Sport, Eco, and some other mode I'm forgetting at the moment (maybe sand/mud?).

But, Eco mode sucks. It substantially retards throttle response and makes the truck shift as early as possible, so you're always lugging it everywhere you go. The only time I use Eco mode is when I screw up and don't hit the button the right number of times to select Sport.

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
ECO mode seems to be an intentional gimp mode. Everything about it is anti-ecoboost. Or put it another way, it represents exactly how I don't believe you should drive an Ecoboost.

However, if you were on cruise control at 70mph in normal mode and then switched to ECO mode, I don't think anything would change. If that's true, then everyone is already in ECO mode when cruising in 10th gear at 70.

But in normal everyday errand running or commuting? ECO mode = lugging

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Thanks for the education guys! Yeah, now that I think about it, you guys with the newer rigs have those different 'performance' settings.. You also have that start/stop thing.. Maybe that's only on the 2.7?

From what it sounds like, you don't want to be towing a heavy trailer in "eco" mode anyway. Sounds like towing anything with any Ecoboost is going to be about 50% of your unloaded mpg..

Mitch

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's it... another setting that retards the throttle input. Meh - how am I gonna send it with some stupid nanny cutting the throttle? 😂
Wife doesn't like it when the rear end lets loose a little turning onto the highway when it's slick in the morning and I don't have it in 4H. I may just try that mode one of these mornings.

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
It's true that there probably is a circumstance for every mode. But it doesn't necessarily mirror the name given by Ford for each mode.

I ignore the label and instead treat them as what I perceive them to be good for.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It's true that there probably is a circumstance for every mode. But it doesn't necessarily mirror the name given by Ford for each mode.

I ignore the label and instead treat them as what I perceive them to be good for.
Agree. I see them as "boring, tow/haul, lame, lame, and full send."

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
Lol

I'm in 12 months of warmer weather, albeit wet and slimy at times.

Add to that 4A with the upgraded transfer box and you basically only need "Sport" mode. Which I consider NORMAL mode. It IS the way this truck would perform if there was only one mode. No way would Ford nest all that personality if they only had one mode.

That is, on good traction surfaces.

But they DO offer modes and it's brilliant compared to what yesteryear was like without such features. So foul weather can be addressed for those that would benefit from it. However Normal mode is plenty tame for most of those conditions, no?

Funny how simply naming Sport mode Sport keeps a huge percentage of truck owners from using it. It's just a name. It's not really Sport. If it was the default mode at startup and called "Normal", and Normal mode was renamed ECO or Rain/Snow, it would change a bunch of folks perception of the truck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That does seem lower than normal for towing. I have noticed that adding any trailer automatically drops it down to 13, maybe 14mpg for me(12ft enclosed utility trailer). A loaded down 14ft trailer will put it close to 11mpg on flat MI roads. I'm not familiar with snowmobile trailers, what's the weight?
How many miles are on your truck? Mine didn't see really good mpg until after 15-20k. I'd agree with these statements... getting into boost is a recipe for low MPG. Even towing above 3k sometimes doesn't warrant tow/haul of it's not hunting for gears. If you notice it's jumping around, throw it in tow/haul and try to set the cruise(when possible). I've noticed it won't go into the highest gear until cruise is set.
TLDR:. Try different modes/styles of driving and adjust accordingly to try to achieve some better mpg. Watch the instant MPG to see what's working for your driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Thanks for all the replies. Each and everyone has a little input. As I said I was shocked at the diminished MPG. But I probably didn't say we were watch tranny temp and engine temp as one should with seeing different performance. We were willing to "run the Credit card" as often as possible as long as engine temp and tanny temp held normal. Back home and normal around time MPG near the 20's says to me all is good. Waiting now for next trip to try all the ideas you have offered. Thank you again,

Wack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts