F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!
Really enjoying this forum. Tons of info.
My Truck is a 2014 FX 4 on 33's. Always stock. Never been in the shop except for oil and filter changes.
It now has 65k miles and out of warranty.
I have a 19 foot bass boat (around 3500lbs). I use it A LOT. It tows the boat easily as we all know.

I am thinking about adding a tuner to get a little more power. Nothing over 91 octane use. Mostly 87.
I have been checking out Stage 3, 5 Star tunes, and Unleashed.
I may upgrade to a CAI, or at least a better drop in filter if needed.
Also, I like a tight transmission shift. Not bone shaking, but solid.

I'm not interested in 4 wheel drive launches or getting sideways in second gear. Lol!
Just looking for a bump in power that won't break my engine. Its been extremely reliable and want to keep it that way.
I don't care about fuel mileage. Its a truck.

Any direction in this would be appreciated.

Don

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'm in the same boat, although I have already done a few mods to the truck. I've been eyeing the basic SCTx4 from 5Star. I would consider Stage 3 but they are not offering the 87 adaptive octane tune, which I really want. So far it looks like 5 star is keeping that tune exclusively for themselves. Price is same. I'm not looking to use the tuner as gauges or anything, just looking to program it and drive it. I am also considering the ITSX thing, it saves me $100, but not sure how many features I'd be giving up. The 5 Star website doesn't really show the features of the devices because it varies by year/make and model. It's really more about convincing you why a tune is good for your truck. :unsure:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Having had towing tunes from Unleashed, Brew city boost, Gearhead, and 5Star I would recommend 5Star.

Their towing tunes is very dialed in and makes towing very easy going.

BCB MacGyver tune is a close second. Unleashed is 3rd as I just dont think he spent the time really working out the shifting in T/H mode.

Gearheads adaptive tow tune was pretty meh. I was constantly intervening with the shifting because it just was not matched well with the torque curve. If i had cruise control set on the freeway the truck would wait forever to downshift as it started climbing hills. It would lose like 7-8 mph before it finally did and then it would hammer down the rest of the hill trying to get back up to speed. I had to start locking out gears as I approached hills so that the truck was already in the right gear as i got to the hill.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
5 * all day for towing...... all day...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts