F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I've recently purchased a 2014 F-150 XLT 3.5L ecoboost. It has about 33,500 miles on it. Over the past week or so I've done a ton of reading, finding out a bunch of things (and potential problems) about the ecoboost engines. I haven't owned a truck since I was 16, and that poor girl was a beater and what I could afford at the time. Being back in a truck after so many years is, to put it mildly, pretty flippin bad*ss...and I really couldn't be happier. But after reading...and reading, and reading, about these ecoboosts it sounds like they may be susceptible to some issues. So in the sake of preventative maintenance, I have no issue with doing/buying certain things to help this bad boy run as smoothly, efficiently, and worry free as I can. Now, before I go off with a ton of questions, full disclosure here...I'm not a "car guy", meaning I don't have much knowledge about the inner workings of engines, air flows, and a whole heck of a lot of other things. But that's what I'm trying to change by joining here and learning from you fine folks.

I've been reading a lot about catch cans, and I know some folks deem them necessary while others simply do not. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one though, and a higher quality one at that. I'm looking at (and have 99% made up my mind, though this conversation could change that) the UPR Mega dual-valve can w/ the CSS. I've overloaded the brain the past couple of days on these cans and what they are, but I'm still having a bit of trouble figuring out EXACTLY what a clean side separator does lol. I can find nothing more than generic descriptions that are almost all carbon (no pun intended) copies of one another (the descriptions that is) on different companies websites who sell them.

So my first official question to all of you here who care to help a total greenhorn out...what exactly is a CSS? This will be the first of many...so I won't take offense if some of you care to laugh before you help a guy out :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you had the PCV TSB done? I just had it completed on my 2012 over the weekend so it's still too early to tell if it helped, but the TSB was specifically for this issue

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually in a Ford dealership today, for something unrelated to any type of issue/maintenance on my vehicle, but did talk briefly to one of their service assistants. Apparently I just can't walk in and ask if any TSB's are open for my truck...at least that's more or less what I was told. I walked away with the understanding that if I go to the dealership with an issue, they basically use the TSB's to help them diagnose the problem. I wasn't really given the impression I could walk in there with a TSB # and say I want this done.

So..am I wrong?

and FWIW, I haven't experienced any issues. The catch can I'm looking at buying has a CSS (as do many catch cans out there now), so I was really just wondering exactly what it did.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
I was actually in a Ford dealership today, for something unrelated to any type of issue/maintenance on my vehicle, but did talk briefly to one of their service assistants. Apparently I just can't walk in and ask if any TSB's are open for my truck...at least that's more or less what I was told. I walked away with the understanding that if I go to the dealership with an issue, they basically use the TSB's to help them diagnose the problem. I wasn't really given the impression I could walk in there with a TSB # and say I want this done.

So..am I wrong?

and FWIW, I haven't experienced any issues. The catch can I'm looking at buying has a CSS (as do many catch cans out there now), so I was really just wondering exactly what it did.
Need to go to dealership and tell them that there is smell of fuel in your oil and that it rises on your oil stick, then they will do the TSB. You have to have the systems of the TSB before they will apply it.

And oh welcome!:):)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks KentuckyKev and Mr B! I've been reading allll day long...info overload that's for sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ripple52 I printed out the TSB, and took into the dealer with the problem. I stated that the problem is a known issue and I would like the updated PCV installed regardless if it is to fix it or not. Time will tell on that. I'm new to the engine myself having only owning my 2012 for about a month and I'm trying to make sure all the bugs are taken care of.

Ive also read quite a bit that fuel smell is a lot more noticeable in a direct injection engine. But I agree with you that the level should not be rising, like in our case!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks KentuckyKev.

Do you have the TSB # by any chance? And was this for the drivers side PCV or the passenger side?

Is this even needed if I'm installing a dual valve catch can with a CSS?

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Passenger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts