F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whose running a newer style motorcraft thermostat? I went to a 180 degree last year and considered going back to a 190 this fall to make sure it doesn’t cool off in traffic. The older copper style were slow to react sometimes.
Camera accessory Gas Font Cameras & optics Auto part

·
Registered
2013 race red SCrew 4x4 air lift bags
2,533 Posts
Me. Mine is a 2013 though.
Can confirm, the original would run slightly hotter and not cool as good, we're talking 195-198 flat and empty, 221 loaded at highway speed. There was an aftermarket one in between the two motorcraft ones and it would be 213 empty in January.

The updated one is 188 and 208-213 with the same load at speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought a new Tstat for my 15 and its a RT1255 (gen1 3.5), it also has the plastic back on it. Is this a new design or redesign that ford has gone with? I haven't pulled my old one yet, but im guessing it has the brass or whatever back on it. Ive been getting a bit of warmer temps when towing ~7K im wondering if this will aid in that cooling. Im doing a new water pump, tstat, fluid, and a full system flush. Ive got to do the turbo coolant fittings :rolleyes: so i figured this stuff would also be good to do while ive got it drained.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it’s a good idea. Everything I’ve read says these work better. Just wondering if anyone on the forum has tried it. I think I will be switching to one eventually here shortly.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Install day. Right side is the new one and left is the old.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Household hardware Rim Gas Cylinder
Automotive tire Fence Gas Wire fencing Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Running 206-208 at 70 mph today. Way more heat. I’ll take it.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another update pulled the longest hill in my area today at 76 mph with trans in tow haul mode. Shifted out of 10th into 8th and at the top of the hill coolant temp was at 214 F. These new thermostats work amazing.

·
Registered
2020 F-150 Lariat Sport FX4, 3.5L, SuperCrew, 6.5' Bed
237 Posts
My late model 2020 had a 195 degree thermostat installed from the factory. Here is a PIC:
Dead bolt Camera lens Door Gas Cameras & optics

I have since replaced it with a 170 degree Reische along with a FR radiator and a tune from MPT.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in a frozen hell hole for 5 plus months of the year. The extra heat will be nice.

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
I put my Stant Superstat I had laying around back into my truck and that thing keeps it locked in a pretty small window. Its an 88C stat but I've yet to see the coolant over 93-94C with the truck unloaded. I wish they still made it because it seems to do a really good job of keeping the truck hot but also keeping it from going well into the 200's.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Since switching to the 170 degree thermostat, I have not noticed any heat output reduction when turning the fan and temp up in the passenger cabin. Outside temps in my area have been dipping down to the 20's and we do not often see single degree or colder temps outside.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We will see around one month of -20 to -40.

·
Registered
237 Posts
We will see around one month of -20 to -40.
I could not handle with that at all. If I had to deal with those temps for even one month out of the year, a colder thermostat would be the last thing on my mind.

Reactions: FanaticalKilla
1 - 14 of 14 Posts